Journal The Garage

In Awe of Him's random trivia facts about where I live.

Meet the shad fly... this lovely ( huge for a bug but it's all wing and no mouth )... literally this thing does not have a mouth. This bug is a yearly visitor ( almost like clock-work ). It is birthed off the lake and comes into shore and lives for a period of roughly 48 hours. NOT every body of water hosts these bugs...so they are "special" HA.
Apparently their presence indicates a good and healthy body of water. I did not know this! ( going to copy and paste )

Fish fly ( another name for shad fly ) larvae live underwater for more than two years, feeding on algae and plants. In southern Ontario, they only come above water during the summer months to mate — and they die within days. Adult fish flies don't have mouths so they do not eat or bite people.

The thing about these bugs is that they come in droves... and I mean big droves.... tens of thousands of them can be seen on any given night. They are attracted to light and so many store owners near the lake are seen hosing down their businesses every morning to remove the massive layers of these bugs. I kid you not... It plays out like an Alfred Hitchcock movie. HAHA. I have gotten used to these creatures... they stay for about 3 weeks and then as quickly as they arrived... they are done for another year.

I am thinking I might have to print a disclaimer for this post...... NOT for the faint hearted. HAHA.

1716720750804.png

In Awe of Him's random trivia facts about where I live.

Meet the shad fly... this lovely ( huge for a bug but it's all wing and no mouth )... literally this thing does not have a mouth. This bug is a yearly visitor ( almost like clock-work ). It is birthed off the lake and comes into shore and lives for a period of roughly 48 hours. NOT every body of water hosts these bugs...so they are "special" HA.
Apparently their presence indicates a good and healthy body of water. I did not know this! ( going to copy and paste )

Fish fly ( another name for shad fly ) larvae live underwater for more than two years, feeding on algae and plants. In southern Ontario, they only come above water during the summer months to mate — and they die within days. Adult fish flies don't have mouths so they do not eat or bite people.

The thing about these bugs is that they come in droves... and I mean big droves.... tens of thousands of them can be seen on any given night. They are attracted to light and so many store owners near the lake are seen hosing down their businesses every morning to remove the massive layers of these bugs. I kid you not... It plays out like an Alfred Hitchcock movie. HAHA. I have gotten used to these creatures... they stay for about 3 weeks and then as quickly as they arrived... they are done for another year.

I am thinking I might have to print a disclaimer for this post...... NOT for the faint hearted. HAHA.

View attachment 10966
This looks and sounds a lot like what we call Mayflies down here in the States. We have a baseball park on an island in the Susquehanna River and they swarm the lights in mid summer. There are so many of them that the fans tromp on them as we walk out of the ballpark.

Back