“As I follow Christ”

Paul’s intention here (1Cor 11:1) is not related to that of becoming a Christian, but rather to that of what a Christian does—“Walk as He walked” (1John 2:6). It could not be related to being born again because one must be born again to “follow Christ.” This has to do with the issue of believer’s being “workers together with Him” (Christ; 2Cor 6:1)—is the prime objective of glorifying our Father (Mat 5:16) through the life of Christ.

As Jesus came not to “glorify” Himself but to glorify the Father (the Father glorifies the Son), so Paul’s desire was not for “vain glory” (self-glory; Gal 5:26) but to also glorify God, therefore following Paul in his work, which is to follow Christ in His work. It must be learned that the believer’s part is only to “bear fruit” (John 15:8), and not produce it, which is an impossibility considering it being solely a work of God; for it is the Vine which produces, and the branch displays (“bears”) it.

There is instruction in knowing the Father uses our lives to manifest the work (fruit) He produces in us, hence it is not our lives being manifested (“not I but Christ”; Gal 2:20) but rather being used for His manifestation, for “Christ is our life” (Col 3:4). Not that God is replacing the believer’s life with Christ’s, but that our lives are conjoined with the Lord Jesus’ life; and it’s not the life containing the “old man” which is conjoined but the “new man,” which “is created in righteousness and true holiness,” and “after the image of Him that created him” (Eph 4:24; Col 3:10). This means the person-hood and character (minus the old nature, plus the new nature) of who we are is with what God desires fellowship.

Therefore, knowing that it is God who produces, and the believer who manifests, we can understandably work more effectually in knowing our part!

Myself, I like comprehending the idea of "following" as being brought along, more than going along, and this comforts me more because it involves Him holding onto us (Jude 1:24) rather than the inverse!!

Myself, I like comprehending the idea of "following" as being brought along, more than going along, and this comforts me more because it involves Him holding onto us (Jude 1:24) rather than the inverse!!
I do like the fact that we are the "temple" of the living God, yet not just a temple but a living temple, who has a soul that is able to have fellowship with its occupant! God surely walks amoungst and walks in us more than Adam ever had. Yes, I see the Lord taking us places by His Spirit, and we are just a traveler with him where ever he goes, and we rejoice in the things we see him do through his temple.
The Lord does have his hand upon us, but I also see that we to can take hold of him.

2Cor 6:16.. What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

1Tim 6:12.. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Phil 3:12.. Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.

I take the word "following God" as obeying God's every requirement for us and devoting ourselves to God completely. It is like what Peter did when Jesus asked whether he was willing to follow him.

The Lord does have his hand upon us, but I also see that we to can take hold of him.

1Tim 6:12.. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
Hi CCW - Thanks for the instructional and inspiring comment. It's interesting that you've indicated the above passage, because I've found that the intention of the phrase "take hold" is in the sense that it is something done in addition to possessing something, e.g. since we have eternal life we also have a right to embrace (lay or take hold) it, which is in the same since that as we have the Lord Jesus, we can also hold Him, for more comfort.

Greek phrase "take hold":
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G1949&t=KJV

Back