“Be Not Deceived”

I believe some Christians think they have nearness to the Lord and spiritual rest who very little understand either the one or the other. It is quite possible for a soul to rest satisfied with a certain quietude, and to be in a certain degree devoted and devotional, who is not near the Lord in glory. It is quite possible for a believer to go on in great darkness with a good conscience, their good works and good reputation stand them in good stead, and they go on without exercise, save now and again they are distressed when thy have fallen below their own standard.

The conscience is no criterion unless it is daily enlightened by the Word of God. The power and wonders of God never touch you like the “still small voice” of the Word. Your feet are washed by His words to your soul, and the soul that trembles at His Word is the one that is really near Him, walking in “the fear of the Lord, which is the beginning of wisdom.”

You will always find that there is more reverence and fear of the Lord in a soul that is walking near Him than in one who feels less the evil within and without, and therefore assumes to be happy and in a place of nearness and rest which in truth he is not.* Reverence and value for the Word of God is an external test as to whether one is walking close to Him. The Word is regarded not merely as a marvelous revelation, but in relation to himself individually. Not a word does he quote of it that does not send its ring to his soul of its quality and metal—if he is nigh to the Lord.

There is also an internal test, if I may say so. If you tell me what your soul is occupied with I can tell you where you are, and I believe every person is often very well satisfied with himself for a good long prayer (don’t smile, we have hearts often deceitful); again for visiting a needy one; and again, because we have acquitted ourselves to the approbation of others. A still more insidious condition is that of occupation with our own failures. How often does one think of his state because he has raked up its evil (and even that is only the kind he feels most)! True, most true, you must see the evil when entering into the light; but you cannot enjoy the Lord until the clouds have been removed by His Word declaring His grace to the owning soul.

I have mentioned what would prove that the soul was not near the Lord. I must just add that the one great expressive mark that a soul is nigh the Lord is that he is receiving light and instruction from Him. You may find Christians very good and proper who are really thinking more of themselves than of the Lord Jesus, who is their Life, exacting love and consideration instead of truly being in the fear of the Lord laboring to confer it. Whenever a soul makes itself the object, the Lord is distant from it.

- J B Stoney

Poster’s Opinion:

* “which in truth he is not”: Not that there isn’t a desire for nearness, but that nearness to the Lord cannot be well known until the awareness of the sinful nature in us is sufficiently realized. I believe the more aware the saints are of the ongoing presence and the decadent levels of the “old man” within, the more we will understand the holiness of God; and the more we will come to understand our forgiveness in the dependence on Christ’s expiation—and the “acceptance” of our Father (Eph 1:6).

Excerpt from MJS devotional for March 14:

“The true value of anything is known only when it is wanted. For this reason bright days must be succeeded by dark ones. In the dreary and desolate hour to nature, we begin to know the value of the truth communicated to us in the bright day. The learning is at one time, and the proving at another. In fact, we ought to be prepared for the dark hour; so that, though it be dark, there is something so blessed, so suited, pouring its comfort and sustenance on our souls, that, after all, the dark and dreary hour becomes a more really festive time to the heart, because of the virtues of the truth now made known, than the time of its reception, which was so happy and exhilarating.” -J.B.S.

http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

Interesting...I dont know of many christians who dont value the Word of God but I suppose there may be some who never open their Bible everyday. I dont know if its they forget, or whats stopping them because God always has wisdom to reveal to us in His Word.
What I have noticed is people can be doubleminded and not truly acknowledge Jesus as Lord, and go through the motions of serving Him but at the same time seem to be serving themselves. Sometimes its like asking them what part of the Bible did you skip when something seems not right. Many people can quote ephesians 2:8 but they dont read on any further!

By his grace through faith we are saved, it is a gift of God not of works least anyone boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God had ordained that we should walk in them.

Many people try to get by on their own good works and not realise that God has given his son Jesus to us. To dwell IN us. Their may be the difference between those that copy/imitate Him and try to do this on their own strength (and thus boast it is all about their works) than those who are IN Him.

It is very easy to pretend to be a christian I suppose but not actually acknowledge Jesus is Lord. Anyone can go to church and do everything there and still not have that saving faith, by trusting in themselves instead of Jesus.

I suppose I am saying I dont know of many christians who are unbelievers in Jesus. Because you cant be! Jesus did not die on the cross for us in vain.
I know many churchgoers who may not be christians though.

I suppose I am saying I dont know of many christians who are unbelievers in Jesus. Because you cant be! Jesus did not die on the cross for us in vain.
I know many churchgoers who may not be christians though.
Hi Lan, and thanks for your replies and comments. Just wanted to mention that the article is in reference to Christians who are still babes in Christ and have not had the time and teachings to be mature in Christ yet. But all Christians will eventually mature in Him (Phil 2:13).

God bless!

I hope so. God can complete his perfect work in us. Some it takes longer than others.
Its just I have encountered a few her are older than me, have been christians longer, and yet still havent grasped certain things..I dont know if its a case of arrested development, or emotional immaturity. Or spiritual immaturity.

I have tried not to let that bother me but when you see elders stumbling in faith its kind of disconcerting. Thus is why we cant put our trust in man..our even ourselves it has to be in Jesus.

Its kind of like Peter who wants to follow Jesus and walk on water too. And yes he goes out and tries to prove himself but he takes his eyes off Jesus and nearly drowns! Whereas he could have just waited for Jesus to come to him as Jesus was walking toward him anyway and just trust that He would get there.

Well I dont know, thats how I see it...Peter didnt walk on water a second time after that.

Back