1 Corinthians 13

1 Corinthians 13

CHAPTER 13
13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have
not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I
could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I
give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me
nothing.
13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity
vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily
provoked, thinketh no evil;
13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth
all things.
13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall
fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be
knowledge, it shall vanish away.
13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part
shall be done away.
13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I
thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish
things.
13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I
know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest
of these is charity.No interpratation needed only willing obedience to the written word of God He is love and He commands believers to love one another Jesus is Lord

I read this and said to myself, "What?". So I read it in the NLT and it came to light for me, good stuff in that scripture, thanks for posting it.

I've read some old books, The Leather Stalking Saga's (Last of the Mohicans), and Moby Dick and a few others, but I haven't tried the translation above (except as a kid the KJV is all we had around).

When I first started to study the Bible, I used the NIV and the Amplified versions. The translation made it much easier to understand when I was a babe.

Now, I also incorporate the KJV. I have begun to appreciate the rich and complex writing much more. Sometimes with any translations, transliterations or watering down of Scripture can often alter the original meanings and interpretations with one word.

That is not to say that transliterations are wrong, I understand the need for simplistic language in todays world. My prayer would be that once a person has had their fill of the milk, they continue to grow in the Meat of the Word.

Peace J/L

did you know that for one greek word there can be up to 13 different meanings in english for that one word best thing is read Gods word recieve it by faith and walk in obedience to it and Gods word alone Jesus is Lord

I always studied with an older KJV. Its the version I like the best, as found also, thru research, the oldest ones I now have, are the most accurate of all Bibles compared to original Commentaries of Early Church Leaders Teachings of God's Word.

I seldom ever use other versions, because there are more mistranslations in them, which makes it harder to Teach others as accurate as we could.

There are some good translations that we can use from the other versions, but we have to be careful they are accurate, that we do not mislead others into believing wrong.

I know many think its not so important to follow God's Word so accurately. But, remember what happened after God warned Adam and Eve if didn't listen to Him and follow Him as instructed.

Satan changed the wording and meaning of God's Word, telling lies mixed with Truths. How? The lie was- they would not die. The mixed truth was- "you shall become as gods".

Satan did lie about thier not dieing. But he did speak truth about thier- "becoming as gods." Here is what Satan said, then what God declares later-

Satan said- Gen. 3:4- " And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die; 5- For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes will be opened, and ye shall be as gods,...."

God declared- Gen. 3:22- "And the Lord God said, Behold, the man has become as one of us,...".

Now, you could also look up the temptation of Christ by Satan in the 4 Gospels, and find, Satan again spoke of Scripture to try and get Christ to do Satan's bidding.

This is why, tho most don't take things as serious as they should, God created us and gave us instruction to live by. This is to help us learn and prepare for our eternal future with God. Its not a game. But, alot of people will be shocked when reality smacks them in the face standing alone before God to explain themselves as God reveals all about each of us as we stand before Him on judgement day.

Thats why the Judgement Day is a day of tears. Even tho later God will wipe them away, for a time, we will all be ashamed of hidden things revealed some may think have gotten away with or forgotten about.

According to our works done on earth, depends on the treasures we will gain or lose in Heaven. Paul speaks in Corinthians about how our works shall survive or burn up. But even if burn, we will still enter Heaven, even if with nothing gained. At least we will be there. But, we will be ashamed and weep uncontrollably for our foolish living we'd done.

See, God does not expect us to be able to live perfect. Not being born in sin. But, to be more concerned with learning and living the best we can according to His Word. Its our responcibility as our part to do that.

Daily, we take the responcibility to get up, go to work, pay bills, sign contracts for payment schedules on vehicles, homes, toys and more we want. So, why is it so difficult for us to be responcible to think more of our spiritual future with God?

Yes, some of us do do that. But, how many out of the total Body of Christ do? How many of us just accept whatever is out there, not taking the effort to seek to follow God as close as possible?

Granted, it is good for those of us who go further to read, study and learn God's Word for a greater closer walk with God. But, lets help others to seek this, as well as being committed to trying to learn more accurately too, so we have less misconceptions ourselves of His Word, that we don't teach others them as well.

God Bless!!

This place is great :). I always find a new idea to chew on, ahhh I have to pick up a KJV and start going through it don't I. First NIV now NLT and back to the KJV...any others:D:D:D?

Hey when I was younger I took a spanish bible and a english bible, I think they were different translations even, and tried to learn spanish from translating it. How about that for dedication, or maybe I just had way to much time on my hands?

There are no errors in God's word, written or otherwise. There are not any bad translations ,not a one better or worse then another. Not too many ,not too few.

God has purpose in all that we see and experience.

I favor the King James simply because that is the one I grew up with. I'm 58 and back when i was first introduced to the bible only the theologens had anything other than a King James. But like Tyler I ,I often refer to other translations in my studys and reasearch

The only right bible is the one opened in faith and the two wrong ones are the one read without faith and the one never opened.

The best bibles for any one are the ones they get their hands on and the ones they feel most comfortable with.

BTW, ICorithians 13 is one of the most valuable in all of the new testement and my favorite.

Blessings
Cliff

i don,t understand 13;3 if i give all i have to the poor.so what does charity mean in the bible.?

My wife started attending a bible study for membership with me a month ago...you should have seen her eyes when something was read in an eralier translation they had the glazed over look, then I handed her a NLT and had her read it, she actually flipped it over to look at the cover, I think to see what she was reading, priceless. She said it made sense to her.

Cliff and Christian Commando .... Thanks for those wonderful posts.:goodpost::goodpost:

I think everyone has a personal preference when reading the Bible . But the most important is to read it not to let it gather dust.

My preference is the NIV but that is not to say that I don't go to other translations , I do and I always go to the KJV and now I have the NKJV as well .

I think it's where you feel most comfortable and if for understanding you prefer one over the other , well nothing wrong with that .

i don,t understand 13;3 if i give all i have to the poor.so what does charity mean in the bible.?

Michael .... And all the scholars ... correct me if I am wrong....... but " charity" in that passage means " love". The greek word is " agape. " Charity in the Bible never means giving to the poor, it is always a God - given love that includes respect for ; and concern for the welfare of , the one loved . See Corinthians 13

Abba Father thank you for the wonderfull gift of Your Word of Grace Your Son is the Living Word thank you Father for sending Your Son to seek and save thar wich was lost what a great price you paid to redeem sinners from the curse of the law for it is written cursed be any one who hangs on a tree Jeus thank you did it all because You loved me and all peoople and want all to be saved and it is not Your will that any ,perish but that all be saved thank You Father for the wonderfull gift of Your Holy Spirit He convicts to turn us from sin and thank you Father that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus , now or ever and thank You Father that nothing or no one can ever seperate us from Your great love Your word is so precious to me to think that You created all things by Your Word and for Your Word Jesus You uphold all things by the power of Your word Glory to Your Holy name alone You alone are worthy and Your Word truly does speak for itself and always accomplishes all that You desire it to Do Jesus is LOrd let him who glories glory in the LOrd no flesh shall glory in His presence now nor ever.

I want to live in 1 Corinthians 13 i Pray that God in His grace would write it on my heart and by His Spirit of Grace empower me to live there always in Jesus name.Im sick of the hypocrisy of my own heart Lord i realy need You please Hear my Cry.

Yep the KJV for me to guys, but like some of you i use an amplified version just to help out.
An example for me, i was using the New KJV, if you look at Romans Chapter 12-3 KJV, For i say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man THE measure of faith. Now in the NKJV it says, as God has dealt to each one A measure of faith.
THE / A this makes a big difference. So for me, when reading any other Bible than the KJV i like to check and check again.

The whole point of this post was that Gods word will get inour hearts and lives and by Hisv grace change us by His Spirit so we can imitate Christ Jesus and stop living below our God given privilage and responsibilitty.Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God how did we deviate from what God is showing His people is His will according to rthe truth of His word and end up debating what version of the bible is the best Gods word endures forever and i want His word to abide in my heart by faith and do all His will.Jesus truly is Lord.

Gods Word is, but when man starts to change it if only a little it takes away the true meaning. Just a point of view and thats in love:rolleyes:

The point i was making bro was that some bibles have changed the text from the original KJV. Which takes away the full meaning of Gods word. I think the other members were making comments about which bible they like to use for study :).

Back