1 Corinthians 5:11 and my family

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
1 Corinthians 5:11

My family claims to be Christian, but they do not act like it (especially my brother).

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
1 John 2:4-6

The Bible says that I should not even eat with those who claim to be brothers or sisters in this case but they do not act like it. But it's my family that I'm talking about here. I don't know what to do. I asked God about it (take that off your list of advice). What do you have to say? Thanks.

God commands believers to honour their fathers and mothers. You have the opportunity to reveal Christ to them by letting Him love them through you. He doesn't call Christians to leave their families. That scripture is instructing believers in their relationships in the world.

God commands believers to honour their fathers and mothers. You have the opportunity to reveal Christ to them by letting Him love them through you. He doesn't call Christians to leave their families. That scripture is instructing believers in their relationships in the world.

Hi Euphemia!

Yes, God commands that we love our parents in the Old and New Testaments. Your, "let Him love them through you" is a wonderful point. God Bless you!

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

My family claims to be Christian, but they do not act like it (especially my brother).

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

The Bible says that I should not even eat with those who claim to be brothers or sisters in this case but they do not act like it. But it's my family that I'm talking about here. I don't know what to do. I asked God about it (take that off your list of advice). What do you have to say? Thanks.

Juk several things to think about.
I doubt that your family falls into this type of person or life style
Second it is not your job to judge them or condemn how they live or if they are really a Christian. Your Job is to love them and allow them to see the Light of Christ in you and flowing from you and as long as you nit-pick them - well bro they will not see Jesus but an obnoxious kid and that wont work for God or for you or them.

Pray blessings over them and that God would send laborers of the field into their lives so as to be ministered apon in such a way that an out pouring of His spirit will flow and their lives will be changed. God knows who they will listen to.

God Bless
Jim

@Juk just a few suggestions on praying over your family.....one huge thing is to pray ps 91 over them and yourself daily. Also pray that God would make Himself very real to them. Ephesians 1:16-23 and 3:14-20 Colossians 1:9-11 and 1 Thessalonians 5:23 are all good scriptures to pray over them and those in the Body of Christ. I pray those and a few others every night.
Blessings!

Juk several things to think about.
I doubt that your family falls into this type of person or life style
Second it is not your job to judge them or condemn how they live or if they are really a Christian. Your Job is to love them and allow them to see the Light of Christ in you and flowing from you and as long as you nit-pick them - well bro they will not see Jesus but an obnoxious kid and that wont work for God or for you or them.

Pray blessings over them and that God would send laborers of the field into their lives so as to be ministered apon in such a way that an out pouring of His spirit will flow and their lives will be changed. God knows who they will listen to.

God Bless
Jim
For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
1 Corinthians 5:12

For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

Juk, IMO Paul is saying in this verse that he is not judging the people on the outside of the church, that is not his business. He is to judge those who are inside the church. You see, God will judge those on the outside and it is the business of the church to judge evil which presents itself inside of the church. My concern is that that kind of preaching has been missing now for a long time.

IMO, we need a lot of courage and not compromise in the church so that it can point out things and say....."That is sin".

Again, IMO when that is done the believer who is in sin will be convicted and will confess just as did David and then repent and change his life. We have so many wishy washy preachers today who do nothing but give out sermonettes to Christionettes while the world is on fire with the sin which so besets us.

Preachers are now being replaced with "Motivational Speakers" which only speak to those who want to feel good about themselves instead of hating the sin they live in. Hence when they leave church they go out into the world the same way they came in from the world......unchanged and convinced that if they do good they will impress God and He will have to allow them into heaven.

Hey..........just my observation and nothing more. Feel free to yell at me but sit down and do a lot of soul searching before you do!!!

Juk the problem stems from you seem to go overboard with this. The scripture you talked about is speaking of some who who claims to be a brother or Christian and gets drunk and takes part in sexual things and so forth.

There is a huge difference in those who are learning and those who give no thought to Gods ways just want the title. A deeper study of judging would be in order bro.
God Bless
Jim

The verses you have quoted are for Church discipline.. How Church leadership should deal with unbelievers.. Or unbelievers who claim themselves to be believers.. At other place, Paul also says if an unbeliever is married to a believer, they cannot just separate. You will see that if you hop a couple of chapters from where you are. That is more appropriate as it talks about family settings..

As everyone said, show the love.. Pray for them.. You will see the changes..

Back