1 Corinthians Chapter 1 (Exposition) - Inc. Introduction

1 Corinthians Chapter 1 (NLT)- First 9 Verses.​

Introduction:

The Letter of Corinthians was written in Ad 55-56, by Paul -

Paul and his audience is Christians in the port city of Corinth. They comprised a church that was situated at a diverse commercial crossroad. Such diversity resulted in competing ideas and actions. Lifestyle issues and basic moral questions need to be addressed in this confusing environment. From the list of issues addressed in 1 Corinthians, the church seems to be largely Gentile, but the problem of meat sacrificed to idols may indicate a Jewish-Christian element in the congregation as well.

1 This letter is from Paul, chosen by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and from our brother Sosthenes.

1 You can see here that this is a letter to Paul, who was chosen by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and this letter was also written by a brother in Christ named Sosthenes.

2 I am writing to God’s church in Corinth,[a] to you who have been called by God to be his own holy people. He made you holy by means of Christ Jesus,[b] just as he did for all people everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours.

2 You can see here that both Paul is writing to the church in Corinth, this church was those who had been called by God to be his own holy people. (Paul) says to the Corinthians - God made you holy by the means of Christ Jesus.
Just as - he did for all people everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours.

3 May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace.

4 I always thank my God for you and for the gracious gifts he has given you, now that you belong to Christ Jesus. 5 Through him, God has enriched your church in every way—with all of your eloquent words and all of your knowledge. 6 This confirms that what I told you about Christ is true.

3 - 4 Paul is now expressing grace and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. In writing that He gives thanks towards God for them there, and for the gracious gifts God has given unto them, and that he is thankful they belong to Christ Jesus.
5 - 6 Through Christ Jesus - God has enriched the Corinthian church - in every way -- with all of your eloquent words and all of your knowledge - This confirms that what was told to you by me (Paul) about Christ is true.

7 Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ. 8 He will keep you strong to the end so that you will be free from all blame on the day when our Lord Jesus Christ returns. 9 God will do this, for he is faithful to do what he says, and he has invited you into partnership with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

7 (Paul) expresses to the people at Corinthians you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for the return of the Lord Jesus Christ. Verse 7 seems to indicate that the Corinthians were being encouraged that the Lords return was going to be coming.
8 (Paul) writes and expresses that God will keep them strong to the end so that you will be free from all blame on the day when the Lord Jesus Christ returns. Again right after verse 8 there is an expression and indication again of the people of Corinthians awaiting to see the Lords return.
9 (Paul) writes God will do this for God is faith to do what He says, and he has invited you into a partnership with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Verse 9 is indicated to God will keep the Corinthians strong to the end so that they will be free from all blame on when the Lord Jesus Christ returns.

1 Corinthians Chapter 1 (NLT)- 9-18 Verses.​

We learned last time through the first 9 verses that Paul was encouraging those in at the Corinthian church are being wrote to encourage their faith in them being chosen as God's holy people, who were given gracious gifts by God, and that they are to wait on the return of the Lord Jesus Christ and to keep strong faith because Jesus will keep you strong so they would be free of all blame, and that they were told God will do this for them, and that they are invited into partnership with the Son Jesus Christ, our Lord.

10 I appeal to you, dear brothers and sisters,[c] by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose.

Verse 10: Paul is making a plead towards the people at Corinthians by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church rather be of one mind, united in thought and purpose.
So Paul is asking them live in harmony with each other. Do not bicker and fight amongst others, but to be of one mind and united in thought. To keep their minds on the God and the Lord Jesus Christ, and remember what the Lord had taught when it comes to forgiveness, and mercy towards others, to have compassion and love, by the spirit.

11 For some members of Chloe’s household have told me about your quarrels, my dear brothers and sisters.

Paul mentions members of Chole's household - who have told Paul about the quarrels that were going on in that church with the divisions they were having amongst each other.

12 Some of you are saying, “I am a follower of Paul.” Others are saying, “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Peter,[d]” or “I follow only Christ.”

They were fighting about who baptized them, which person is better than others, and who is right in their own opinions and thoughts, and they were not of one thought - being that of being thankful of the Lord Jesus Christ.

13 Has Christ been divided into factions? Was I, Paul, crucified for you? Were any of you baptized in the name of Paul? Of course not!

Here Paul asked: Is Christ divided into Factions. (One better than the other) ~
Paul askes, Was I, Paul crucified for you? Why are you looking to other people who is better than the other, why are you not looking to the Lord Jesus Christ who was crucified for you.
Paul asks were any of you baptized in the name of Paul? Of course not! Believers are baptized in the Lord Jesus Christ by the holy spirit.

14 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius,

Paul thanks God, he did not baptize any of them except two people.

15 for now no one can say they were baptized in my name.

Paul is thankful because no one can fight about it, and say they were baptized in his name ~ He is trying to get them to focus on the Lord Jesus Christ here.

16 (Oh yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas, but I don’t remember baptizing anyone else.)

Paul also mentions he did baptize the household of Stephanas, but doesn't recall anyone else.

17 For Christ didn’t send me to baptize, but to preach the Good News—and not with clever speech, for fear that the cross of Christ would lose its power.

Paul explains to the church of Corinthians that Christ did not send him to baptize but to preach the Good News.
Paul explains He was sent to preach the Good News - Life ; death ; resurrection of Christ.
Paul explains that He doesn't do it with clever speech, for fearing the cross of Christ would lose it's power.
So Paul here is saying I have come to you to give you the good news about the Lord Jesus Christ his life, death, and resurrection, and also remind you that He will be coming back for you and you should be prepared for that and keep trusting in Christ Jesus and because of that God will keep you blameless and spotless when he comes back if you trust in Him.
He doesn't want the crucifixtion to get lost in the clever speeches and fighting and divisions they were having by their disputes of who is better by who was baptized by whoever.

18 The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God.

Paul mentions here that the cross is foolishness to those who are headed for destruction - Those who are lost, and are not focusing on God or the Lord Jesus Christ - setting themselves up for destruction.
Paul mentions those who are being saved look towards the cross - looking towards the Lord Jesus Christ and His resurrection, and know it is the very power of God whom sent the Lord Jesus Christ to die, and was raised again - this is the Good News.

This is written to the Thessalonians back in the day, there are applications to the way we can walk as Christians against the many different views. We can all have the mindset of acceptance of the life death resurrection of Christ Jesus, that won’t never stop the vast majority of their ideas, opinions and traditions they hold dearly to.

If we could stand on Jesus there is no division, just different views of theology along with end time eschatology and that of what happens after death for people.

That is the main goal is to love through differences today but you can hold your own ground to what you believe is true.

Alwsys go to the Bible and check and don’t ever lose hope in God and his promises that you can have now walking in the truth and love that is found in Christ Jesus.

will add more from this book later! Take care

12 Some of you are saying, “I am a follower of Paul.” Others are saying, “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Peter,[d]” or “I follow only Christ.”

They were fighting about who baptized them, which person is better than others, and who is right in their own opinions and thoughts, and they were not of one thought - being that of being thankful of the Lord Jesus Christ.
13 Has Christ been divided into factions? Was I, Paul, crucified for you? Were any of you baptized in the name of Paul? Of course not!
Here Paul asked: Is Christ divided into Factions. (One better than the other) ~Paul askes, Was I, Paul crucified for you? Why are you looking to other people who is better than the other, why are you not looking to the Lord Jesus Christ who was crucified for you.Paul asks were any of you baptized in the name of Paul? Of course not! Believers are baptized in the Lord Jesus Christ by the holy spirit.

I would suggest also. They were simply fighting . .flesh and blood against flesh and blood. . showing they were not mixing faith the understanding of God . They were using the things of earth seen to verify the unseen . turning things upside down, earthly inspired by men . In doing so taking way the understanding of the Potter. And not having the faith of Christ in respect to our unseen glorious God . .

Baptizing the Introducing a new priest in the new testament priesthood revelas one who has a desire to bring the gospel it is a ceremonial sign or shadow .Getting wet had no value in restaining sin.

Water is used to represent the proper order of inspiration coming down from heaven the gospel watering on the earth, softening the hearts of men.

Water always represent the unseen work of the Holy Spirit the same as blood another metaphor used in parables like the one below.In that way we can test the spirit to see if they come as doctrines of men eartly inspired of the god of this world or our heavebnnly father .

Deuteronomy 32 King James Version (KJV) Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.
My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

When Aaron's two sons added their own personal touch (strange fire) in a hope of self-edifying one’s own self .(self-righteousness )They lost their lives . Teaching us if we play with fire the possibility of becoming consumed is there.Glory the lord not the flesh

1 Corinthians Chapter 1 (NLT)- First 9 Verses.​

Introduction:

The Letter of Corinthians was written in Ad 55-56, by Paul -

Paul and his audience is Christians in the port city of Corinth. They comprised a church that was situated at a diverse commercial crossroad. Such diversity resulted in competing ideas and actions. Lifestyle issues and basic moral questions need to be addressed in this confusing environment. From the list of issues addressed in 1 Corinthians, the church seems to be largely Gentile, but the problem of meat sacrificed to idols may indicate a Jewish-Christian element in the congregation as well.

1 This letter is from Paul, chosen by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and from our brother Sosthenes.

1 You can see here that this is a letter to Paul, who was chosen by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and this letter was also written by a brother in Christ named Sosthenes.

2 I am writing to God’s church in Corinth,[a] to you who have been called by God to be his own holy people. He made you holy by means of Christ Jesus,[b] just as he did for all people everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours.

2 You can see here that both Paul is writing to the church in Corinth, this church was those who had been called by God to be his own holy people. (Paul) says to the Corinthians - God made you holy by the means of Christ Jesus.
Just as - he did for all people everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours.

3 May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace.

4 I always thank my God for you and for the gracious gifts he has given you, now that you belong to Christ Jesus. 5 Through him, God has enriched your church in every way—with all of your eloquent words and all of your knowledge. 6 This confirms that what I told you about Christ is true.

3 - 4 Paul is now expressing grace and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ. In writing that He gives thanks towards God for them there, and for the gracious gifts God has given unto them, and that he is thankful they belong to Christ Jesus.
5 - 6 Through Christ Jesus - God has enriched the Corinthian church - in every way -- with all of your eloquent words and all of your knowledge - This confirms that what was told to you by me (Paul) about Christ is true.

7 Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ. 8 He will keep you strong to the end so that you will be free from all blame on the day when our Lord Jesus Christ returns. 9 God will do this, for he is faithful to do what he says, and he has invited you into partnership with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

7 (Paul) expresses to the people at Corinthians you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for the return of the Lord Jesus Christ. Verse 7 seems to indicate that the Corinthians were being encouraged that the Lords return was going to be coming.
8 (Paul) writes and expresses that God will keep them strong to the end so that you will be free from all blame on the day when the Lord Jesus Christ returns. Again right after verse 8 there is an expression and indication again of the people of Corinthians awaiting to see the Lords return.
9 (Paul) writes God will do this for God is faith to do what He says, and he has invited you into a partnership with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Verse 9 is indicated to God will keep the Corinthians strong to the end so that they will be free from all blame on when the Lord Jesus Christ returns.
I wish there was more insight on how Sosthenes ended up with Paul. Last time we heard of Sosthenes was in Acts 18 and that was not going well for him.

rtm3039

1 Corinthians Chapter 1 (NLT)- 9-18 Verses.​

We learned last time through the first 9 verses that Paul was encouraging those in at the Corinthian church are being wrote to encourage their faith in them being chosen as God's holy people, who were given gracious gifts by God, and that they are to wait on the return of the Lord Jesus Christ and to keep strong faith because Jesus will keep you strong so they would be free of all blame, and that they were told God will do this for them, and that they are invited into partnership with the Son Jesus Christ, our Lord.

10 I appeal to you, dear brothers and sisters,[c] by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose.

Verse 10: Paul is making a plead towards the people at Corinthians by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church rather be of one mind, united in thought and purpose.
So Paul is asking them live in harmony with each other. Do not bicker and fight amongst others, but to be of one mind and united in thought. To keep their minds on the God and the Lord Jesus Christ, and remember what the Lord had taught when it comes to forgiveness, and mercy towards others, to have compassion and love, by the spirit.

11 For some members of Chloe’s household have told me about your quarrels, my dear brothers and sisters.

Paul mentions members of Chole's household - who have told Paul about the quarrels that were going on in that church with the divisions they were having amongst each other.

Here Paul asked: Is Christ divided into Factions. (One better than the other) ~
Paul askes, Was I, Paul crucified for you? Why are you looking to other people who is better than the other, why are you not looking to the Lord Jesus Christ who was crucified for you.
Paul asks were any of you baptized in the name of Paul? Of course not! Believers are baptized in the Lord Jesus Christ by the holy spirit.

14 I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius,

Paul thanks God, he did not baptize any of them except two people.

15 for now no one can say they were baptized in my name.

Paul is thankful because no one can fight about it, and say they were baptized in his name ~ He is trying to get them to focus on the Lord Jesus Christ here.

16 (Oh yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas, but I don’t remember baptizing anyone else.)

Paul also mentions he did baptize the household of Stephanas, but doesn't recall anyone else.

17 For Christ didn’t send me to baptize, but to preach the Good News—and not with clever speech, for fear that the cross of Christ would lose its power.
Paul explains to the church of Corinthians that Christ did not send him to baptize but to preach the Good News.
Paul explains He was sent to preach the Good News - Life ; death ; resurrection of Christ.
Paul explains that He doesn't do it with clever speech, for fearing the cross of Christ would lose it's power.
So Paul here is saying I have come to you to give you the good news about the Lord Jesus Christ his life, death, and resurrection, and also remind you that He will be coming back for you and you should be prepared for that and keep trusting in Christ Jesus and because of that God will keep you blameless and spotless when he comes back if you trust in Him.
He doesn't want the crucifixtion to get lost in the clever speeches and fighting and divisions they were having by their disputes of who is better by who was baptized by whoever.

18 The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God.

Paul mentions here that the cross is foolishness to those who are headed for destruction - Those who are lost, and are not focusing on God or the Lord Jesus Christ - setting themselves up for destruction.
Paul mentions those who are being saved look towards the cross - looking towards the Lord Jesus Christ and His resurrection, and know it is the very power of God whom sent the Lord Jesus Christ to die, and was raised again - this is the Good News.
Paul apparently does not place as much importance to Baptism as some other people. Be is saying, in my opinion, that, while Baptism is important as an outward display of obedience, it is not a condition to be saved.

Rtm3039

1 Corinthians Chapter 1 (NLT)- 18-31 Verses.​

What did we learn previously?

We seen Paul addressing the fighting go on about baptism, and wisdom of men of oh look who done this for me, rather than focusing on the Lord Christ Jesus, who was going to return back to get them, according to the first several verses. Paul told them to stay focused and trust in God and God would keep them spotless and blameless when the Lord would return, as they were God's chosen holy people, who were invited to be in partnership with the Son Jesus Christ our Lord.
Paul came to them only knowing the Life; Death; Resurrection and sharing the Good News with them, so the Cross of Christ would not lose it's power and get lost out in the wisdom of men, and fighting of others and who were better.

18 The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God. 19 As the Scriptures say,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise
and discard the intelligence of the intelligent.”[e]
20 So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world’s brilliant debaters? God has made the wisdom of this world look foolish.

Verse 18: Paul is saying the message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction because of their own worldly wisdom and not looking towards God. Those who are being saved know the cross - life, burial, and resurrection of Christ - is the very power of God.​
Verse 19: Scriptures say - "God will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and discard the intelligence of the intelligent, - Probably not the best use of scripture here but lets try to figure out this.​
God will - destroy the wisdom of the wise -> It is possible for God is a consuming fire to burn down the wisdom of the wise if they come to the knowledge of the truth, though right now the cross seems foolish to them.​
So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the worlds brilliant debaters?​
Verse 20: Paul is asking -> God is going to destroy the wisdom of the wise.​
Who can stand up against God? No one, -> Looking towards God who can bring back the dead to life, wisdom of the word seems foolish when you come to the truth about God and the Lord Jesus Christ.​

21 Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe. 22 It is foolish to the Jews, who ask for signs from heaven. And it is foolish to the Greeks, who seek human wisdom. 23 So when we preach that Christ was crucified, the Jews are offended and the Gentiles say it’s all nonsense.
Verse 21 : God by his wisdom saw that the world would never know him through human wisdom -> God has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe.​
Paul described earlier he came not preaching in trying to sound wise, (can't find the reference) - but he came not in wise speech or trying to sound intelligent yet He came to speak the truth of the Lord Jesus Christ and his life, death, and resurrection. (Which sounds crazy to some now today) The foolishness of delivery may come off confusing, but God uses it for the benefit of seekers of Truth in God.​

Verses 22: It was was foolish to the Jews who ask for signs in heavens : Jews considered the cross a foolish thing, because they desired signs and heavens. It was foolish to the Greeks who seek human wisdom rather than wisdom of God.​
Verses 23: Paul says we we preach that Christ was crucified, the Jews are offended, and the Gentiles say it is all nonsense. They choose not to believe, they say ah who cares about that, or you are offending me by speaking these things.​

24 But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles,[f] Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 This foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God’s weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength.

Verse 24: Paul goes on to say; Those who are called by God unto salvation both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.​
So people who make the choice to believe in the message of the Gospel of Christ in learning about his life, and his death, and the resurrection and make the choice to believe on God and the promises that are being made through this Gospel realize that it is the the death of Christ, and his resurrection is the power of God, and also the wisdom of God and not of men.​
Verse 25: The foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God's weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength.​
So God's plan was wiser than any other plan a human could make.​
God's weakness - because people saw Christ as weak and not truly the Son of God and thought he was crazy - > Was stronger than than the greatest of human strength.​

26 Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world’s eyes or powerful or wealthy[g] when God called you. 27 Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful.

Verse 26: Paul reminds the brothers and sister; that few of you were wise in the world's eyes, or powerful, or wealthy when God has called you - and you accepted and turned to Him by your choice.​
Now you are wise, because you made the choice to believe in God, and his wisdom and strength rather than that of anyone else.​
Verse 27: Paul reminds them God chose the things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise.​
(Some consider Love a weakness?) Christ Jesus - Showed love, humility, mercy, forgiveness, patience, and love.​
And he chose the things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful.​
(Many considered because of the way Jesus Christ was he was powerless and weak.)​

28 God chose things despised by the world,[h] things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important. 29 As a result, no one can ever boast in the presence of God.

Verse 28: God sent his Son Jesus Christ who was despised by the world, and the world considered him nothing at all. Using Christ Jesus Christ to be far more important over what the world considers important.​
Verses 29: As a result no one can ever boast in the presence of God -> You have been saved by grace through your choice of believing and having faith.​

30 God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin. 31 Therefore, as the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord.”[i]

Verse 30: Paul reminds them the people at Corinthians : God has united you with Christ Jesus.​
For our benefit God made Christ Jesus to wisdom itself.​
Christ made us right with God - (to them then - Christ Jesus has made us pure, and holy, and freed us from sin (we also to are freed from sin).​
Therefore scriptures say, if you want to boast -> Boast only in the Lord not what men and their wisdom teachs.​
Glad this is over haha, this take a lot of time to go verse by verse :p Done with 1 Chapter!

God is good, hope anyone who reads gains something out of it: Glory to God for it, and look towards the Lord Jesus Christ for wisdom.

Last edited:
Back