1 Kings 1:1-4

1 Kings 1:1-4King James Version (KJV)
1 Now king David was old and stricken in years; and they covered him with clothes, but he gat no heat.
2 Wherefore his servants said unto him, Let there be sought for my lord the king a young virgin: and let her stand before the king, and let her cherish him, and let her lie in thy bosom, that my lord the king may get heat.
3 So they sought for a fair damsel throughout all the coasts of Israel, and found Abishag a Shunammite, and brought her to the king.
4 And the damsel was very fair, and cherished the king, and ministered to him: but the king knew her not.

An American English Bible
With Old Testament based on the Greek Septuagint

1 Now, King David had grown very old, and even when they wrapped him in [heavy] clothes he couldn't get warm. 2 So his servants said: 'Have them search for a young virgin girl for the king, to wait on him, treat him well, and lie with him… that will keep him warm.'
3 So, they searched for a pretty young woman throughout the borders of IsraEl; and they found AbiSag the Somanite, and they brought her to the king. 4 Now, the young woman was extremely beautiful, and she treated the king very well and served him; but he never [had sex] with her.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 David being cold could have meant that his blood was moving slower or thin, it is a sign of the body not getting enough blood circulation.

2 The people had an idea; there intentions here may have not been pure with this idea. David was close to his death at this time. A virgin was seen as pure and still is viewed as something special in society today. The people wanted his last moments to be good and not in pain or grief. It is a good thing for a man to have a woman care for him in his last days.

3 They found a woman that would serve her king as he needed her to. They may have been hoping that this woman would give the king something to get well for. She was from the tribe of Isschar.

4 David did not do anything with her she remained a virgin. She served the king well in his last days. David’s son would chase after virgins but David here was handed one and did nothing with her, this shows the contrast between the two.

Back