1 Kings 2:26-27

1 Kings 2:26-27 King James Version (KJV)
26 And unto Abiathar the priest said the king, Get thee to Anathoth, unto thine own fields; for thou art worthy of death: but I will not at this time put thee to death, because thou barest the ark of the Lord God before David my father, and because thou hast been afflicted in all wherein my father was afflicted.
27 So Solomon thrust out Abiathar from being priest unto the Lord; that he might fulfil the word of the Lord, which he spake concerning the house of Eli in Shiloh.

1 Kings 2:26-27 New Life Version (NLV)
Abiathar Sent Away and Joab Is Killed

26 Then the king said to Abiathar the religious leader, “Go to your own fields at Anathoth, for you should be put to death. But I will not have you killed at this time. Because you carried the special box of the Lord God in front of my father David. And you shared in all of my father’s suffering.” 27 So Solomon stopped Abiathar from being religious leader for the Lord any longer. This was done to keep the word of the Lord, which God had spoken about the family of Eli in Shiloh.

New Life Version (NLV) Copyright © 1969 by Christian Literature International

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

26 He was the religious leader that sided against Solomon being made king, he went against God’s will, which made him unfit to be a religious leader. He knew David because of this a time for grieving was given which was commonly done if a war was to break out or some fight but he was just going to have him killed which could have happened while he was in grief.

27 Solomon took him down as religious leader, which showed that the king had power over those who were God’s workers which would later cause many problems and was one reason God told them it would be bad for them to have a king. Eli’s line was to stop because of Eli allowing his sons to dishonor God; Abiathar was the last of that family.

Back