2Pet 1:10

Hmm. Let's see what the verses say:

2 Peter 1:10-11

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

It seems that the key to what's being said is in the underlined portion, where the purpose is concerned.

The ultimate end to what you appear to be asking may very well lead to debates over Calvinism. After all, the extremes of Calvinism say that we play no part in our election, so this therefore must be alluding to something other than what it seems to be saying...

As to the mechanics for how this works, I don't know there are any specific methodologies, per se, other than to repeat some of what Jesus said that applies to us today, and what the apostles taught along this vein thereafter as pertaining to our salvation and adherence to the Law He writes into our hearts.

MM

The ultimate end to what you appear to be asking may very well lead to debates over Calvinism. After all, the extremes of Calvinism say that we play no part in our election, so this therefore must be alluding to something other than what it seems to be saying...
This is probably the case, seeing I have had quite a bit of exposure to Calvinism.
It just seems to turn our election of God into a work in order to make sure God elected you. Confusing.

If God's election is sure, then why do we need to make it sure? How to handle this verse?

My dear brother. THANK YOU for the Scripture and for asking the question. I wish more of our members would use the DOCTRINE option to ask questions like this so that our discussions could help others to grow and learn.

I believe that "Give diligence to make your calling and election sure" means of course MORE SURE!

In other words, the security of the believer is actually "objective" or better said, it is something that can not be disturbed. However.....your assurance can certainly be questioned by the life you live!

By that I mean-- if your life is not lived in sincerity and truth you are bound to lie in your bed at night and wonder if you are really born again at all.

It is 100% correct that Christ has done everything necessary to save us and to keep us saved, but our Christian life, to be meaningful and productive is something that we have to work at.

Allow me to give you and example. I have been married to my high school sweetheart for over 50 years. I have never ever woke up at night wondering whether or not I was married. BUT.....to make our marriage meaningful, I have had to WORK at it every single day.

Same thing applies to the Christian life! We must allow it to become subjective in our own hearts to KNOW that we are a chlld of God!

Crossnote, perhaps a consideration of Philippians 2:12-13 might help to clarify the answer.
Philippians 2:12-13 (NASB) So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

As God works in us, His will and good pleasure are the fruit.
I don't quite see the connection with 2 Pet 1.10...could you edookate me?

Philippians 2:12-13 (NASB) So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

As God works in us, His will and good pleasure are the fruit.
I don't quite see the connection with 2 Pet 1.10...could you edookate me?
I was addressing the idea of making our election certain from our own viewpoint. When we take the necessary time and steps to follow God's guidance regarding our salvation, our edification provides the certainty to provide in our hearts the sure certainty of our election.

I was addressing the idea of making our election certain from our own viewpoint. When we take the necessary time and steps to follow God's guidance regarding our salvation, our edification provides the certainty to provide in our hearts the sure certainty of our election.
This is why I think I have trouble with that 'other view' it becomes rather subjective in that it turns the matter of certainty upon me, rather than the objective Word and the redemptive act of Christ.

How would you compare 'our edification provides the certainty' with 'our new birth provides the certainty'?

Major, so you are saying 'make your election more sure' is from our perspective, not God's?
That sounds reasonable.

Absolutely brother. WE are the ones who tend to wave in the wind and go from the mountain top to the valley.

"It is finished"...........When Jesus Christ spoke those final words on the cross, they were not words of defeat but words of victory. He did not say, I am finished, but IT is finished. Jesus DID NOT say, "It is pretty much a done deal." Neither did He say "It is almost finished." He didn’t say "If you work hard, someday it will probably be finished," or "I’ve done my part, now you’re on your own." His statement was simple yet profound and powerful: "IT IS FINISHED."

When Jesus said those vital words "It is finished," He was saying that the old separation between God and man was at an end. The task of atonement was complete from God's perspective. Our eternal pardon was executed (as in executing, or signing, a contract). The bondage of sin was concluded, and our debt of sin was fully discharged, having been stamped "PAID IN FULL" by Christ Himself.

Jesus’ death on that cruel Roman cross accomplished what no human effort could possibly do, making an end to the law of sin and death, which automatically expired when Jesus died. The great divide between God and man, that we could never begin to fill in, was suddenly filled up by the finished work of Jesus Christ. By His grace, we can go over to the other side and have full fellowship with God, because Jesus paid the price of our sins, performing the act of atonement that we could never accomplish on our own.

By "freedom pf choice" we can also still sin. THAT is why we have to "Work out our salvation"!!!!!

In other words.....God knows we are saved.....but it us us that we have to always keep convincing because our sin gets in the way.

Last edited:
This is why I think I have trouble with that 'other view' it becomes rather subjective in that it turns the matter of certainty upon me, rather than the objective Word and the redemptive act of Christ.

How would you compare 'our edification provides the certainty' with 'our new birth provides the certainty'?
There is both an objective and subjective element to our understanding of assurance. The Scripture provides us with the legal and intellectual basis for our understanding by providing facts; Scripture also provides us with the emotional basis for our understanding by providing edification. That emotional understanding is what brings us through the periods of doubt, especially concerning our salvational certainty. Arminian theology is responsible for more anguish than almost any other force that attacks a Christian's faith.

If God's election is sure, then why do we need to make it sure? How to handle this verse?
Hey crossnote, are you aware that a christian can lose his or her salvation?

Jesus's work alone saves us but we still need to follow him dont we?

Jesus's saving work is sure, but we need to follow him to make our salvation sure.

By not following Jesus we are sure to lose sight of him and when we lose sight of him we are sure to fall back into the world and so losing our salvation.Unless ofcourse somewhere in between we decide to repent whole heartedly and find him again.Although according to the Word finding him again is highly unlikely

Hey crossnote, are you aware that a christian can lose his or her salvation?

Jesus's work alone saves us but we still need to follow him dont we?

Jesus's saving work is sure, but we need to follow him to make our salvation sure.

By not following Jesus we are sure to lose sight of him and when we lose sight of him we are sure to fall back into the world and so losing our salvation.Unless ofcourse somewhere in between we decide to repent whole heartedly and find him again.Although according to the Word finding him again is highly unlikely

Caution this topic is on the list of topics that have lead to heated arguments

Excerpt from Topics that may not be discussed on this forum.

**Note: A new Member may ask a topical question for clarity from the list below, but the answer may not become debate.

If a Member wishes to see which topical discussions have appeared, please use the Search function.

Other than the limitations in the note ** above, the topics which may not be initiated, discussed or debated at CFS are:

(1) Once Saved, Always Saved (OSAS)

Back