A Baby Step to Change Toxic Thoughts

shineyourlight8

Sr Encourager Mod
Staff member
Senior Moderator
“I’m not stupid, even though you guys think I am.”

There it is. The words had already left my mouth before I was able to retrieve them.

The words hung in the air, the room got quiet, and all I wanted to do was to hide.

It was at a game night with my friends, and there was some confusion as to what the rules were.

I asked how to play, I was told how to play.

We played the way I was told, and the way I was playing was wrong.

I was told that I wasn’t listening to the rules, even though I was, and that’s not how to play the game.

Talk about awkward.

We all have insecurities, some stronger than others. One of my insecurities is coming off as stupid and people perceiving me as such due to a speech impediment.

There it is. Raw. Vulnerable.

I lost my cool. I let my own insecurities lash out to those who love me and who care for me.

My thought pattern came out to the surface and projected on those people who love and care for me.

I don’t know about you, but I struggle with some toxic thoughts, and eventually, those toxic thoughts might come out if I don’t take care of those toxic thoughts. Why? Because I let them spiral.

So, what can I do to battle those thoughts? What can I do to take captive of those thoughts and change those thoughts?

“We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5

We take captive. It’s not an “if,” but it can actually happen that you can change your thoughts.

I can change my thoughts.

You can change your thoughts.

But, sometimes, I become overwhelmed with how many thoughts I need to change.

But, why start big? Have you ever seen a new mother with their baby tell them to, “Get up and start running”? Of course not. The mother would start out small with their baby. Hold their hands to start walking, let them take a few steps on their own. She starts out small and then the baby will independently be able to walk by themselves.

Same thing with taking captive of those toxic thoughts: Take one baby step, one thought, and change it. You will eventually be able to handle the other ones as time goes on.

Make a list of beliefs that you have that are not the truth. Pick one. Because one toxic thought can be an umbrella for all the other ones. Once you pick out that thought: Change it. Every time that little bugger tries to sneak it, say your truth.

You can overcome your thoughts and you will do it. It just takes some work from your end.

Hello shineyourlight8;

Thank you for your thread, A Baby Step to Change Toxic Thoughts

This is a topic I'm sure many of us can relate to. For many years I had became more conscious of demonic thoughts of worry, insecurities, self-consciousness, low self-esteem and inadequacies that I battled as my mind woke up to first thing in the morning.

Years ago I spoke with mentor pastors and our marriage counselor who is a licensed clinical therapist about my battle. I respectfully received their guidance and counsel. I took one of their suggestions; each morning I went directly to God with this dilemma while in my prayers.

In my opening prayers and giving God my love first, I "talked" to Him directly with my struggle and what began to fill my heart was this;

These demonic thoughts were not coming from Him, therefore, they did not bless me. They hindered my spirit and was, to me, a principality of darkness. So I unloaded this weight, this heavy burden and laid it at the Lord's feet. I rebuked Satan in the name of Jesus Christ, and asked God for His protection. Then I chose to believe, trust and turn my focus more on God's results.

As you were sharing, shineyourlight8, "of those toxic thoughts: Take one baby step, one thought, and change it. You will eventually be able to handle the other ones as time goes on."

As God gave me the room each day to build my faith, He worked through healing me slowly but surely.

In the last couple of years I am healed. In the morning the demonic thoughts are much lighter and I feel stronger in the Lord when I go into my good morning prayers.

God bless you, sister, and thank you for sharing.

Back