a Biblical passage i really like

A

Anonymous

a Biblical passage i really like

Hello people. I had r.s. for school today (yes i am a 'kid') and we studied a Bible passage that i really liked. So i decided to share it with you'.

You may have already heard of it but i will share anyway: the Good Samaritan.

Luke, niv Bible:

(note: if i have interpretted anything wrong please tell me)

'The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

This type of expert in the law is not who deals with money and so on but with religious teachings. He already knows the answer to his question but he wants to test Jesus.

26"What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"

Jesus replies cleverly by answering with a question to make the expert in the law answer his own question, 'what does it say in the Holy Books?'

27He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'[a]; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

28"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

29But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"

The expert in the law is thinking that his neighbours are his fellow Jews/Christians. Maybe the people that live next door.

30In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31A priest happened to be going down the same road

Everyone that is listening is most likely thinking 'this priest will help him, priests are religous men'.

, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.

This means he went on a diffrent road because he did not want to be robbed

32So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him,

The listeners are now most likely thinking 'this Levite will help him. They are very very religious men.

passed by on the other side. 33But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was;

Now they are filled with disgust at hearing a samaritan came near the robbed man. Samaritans are seen as the enemy of the Jews. They infact probaly think that he will give the robbed man a kicking while he is down.

and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. 35The next day he took out two silver coins[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'

listeners: "eh?!"

36"Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"

37The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."

The expert in the law hates the samaritan so much he cannot even say 'samaraitan'. You can almost imagine the expert in the law mumbling as quietly as he can "The one who had mercy on him."

Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

Back