A Couple Of Bible Contradictions

I found these on the internet today, a few contradictions in the Bible, ( or are they? )
The first one is a simple number contradiction.

One: The amount of horses Sollomon had magically changed?
in 2 Chronicles chap 9:25 sollomon had 4 thousand horses
in First Kings Chap 4:26 sollomon had 40 thousand stores of horses.
Was this a typo on someone's part? or is there more to it?

Two: Maybe these are two instances?. first satan instagited David take a count on the jews.
but than it says that God directed him against Israel, so which is it?
1 Chronicles Chap 21: 1 Satan tells him to
2 Samual Chap 24: 1 God tells him to

Three: I guess these are obviously two different times, again, I'm only quoting these contradictions from
the internet.
1 samuel chap 28: 6 when saul inquired of the lord, he did not answer,

1 chronicles chap 10:14
he saul did not inquire of the lord therefor God killed him.

Four: Another one where the number is different
1 king chap 7: (2,000) baths
2 chronicles chap 4: (3,000) baths?

Five: Jesus slip of the tongue? or simple language semantics ?
John 17:12
While I was with them, I kept and preserved them in Your Name [[b]in the knowledge and worship of You]. Those You have given Me I guarded and protected, and not one of them has perished or is lost except the son of perdition [Judas Iscariot

john 18:9 Thus what He had said was fulfilled and verified, Of those whom You have given Me, I have not lost even one.

Two: Maybe these are two instances?. first satan instagited David take a count on the jews.

This is only an apparent contradiction. The way I see it, Israel sinned in some way which aroused the anger of God (2 Samuel 24:1). God then used Satan to move David to number the people. After David did so, God confronted him. But notice that the punishment was not against David but against the people of Israel. Israel lost 70,000 men, but David himself lived. This was God's way of punishing Israel for their previous sin.

Sometimes God gives people over to their sin which leads to greater punishment later. We see this in Pharoah who hardened his heart at first, then God hardened it further, leading to the death of his firstborn.

I found these on the internet today, a few contradictions in the Bible, ( or are they? )

Three: I guess these are obviously two different times, again, I'm only quoting these contradictions from
the internet.

While I was with them, I kept and preserved them in Your Name [[b]in the knowledge and worship of You]. Those You have given Me I guarded and protected, and not one of them has perished or is lost except the son of perdition [Judas Iscariot

john 18:9 Thus what He had said was fulfilled and verified, Of those whom You have given Me, I have not lost even one.

There is a thread running already on Bible Contradictions". But since you did not see it, lets see what we can do here for you.

4,000 for [extra] and 40,000 filled.

The two accounts are complementary not contradictory. God was the ultimate cause in that He was bringing punishment upon Israel. The context in 2 Sam. is that this census follows several rebellions against David which had gained the support of Israel. Satan, though evil, is a created angel of God who has only as much power as God as allowed to him, (Job 1:6-12, 2:1-6). Here in your question, Satan is God's minister, an instrument for God's purposes.

The meaning that the author of 1 Chronicles assigns to Saul not asking God in 1 Chr. 10:14 is that he didn't adhere to God or His Word, and went and ran off to a medium for consultation, even making an oath to God not to punish her since prior to that he had banished mediums from the land. It's not that Saul didn't physically ask God, but that after asking Him, he consulted a medium instead of (further) consulting God. God knew he would do this, and this is all that 1 Chr. 10:14 wants to say; Saul had already shown himself disobedient on a couple of occasions (1 Sam. 13, 15) and inquired of God in the sense of only using it as a weather forecast, not because of worship and after God tested him, his going to the medium was the greatest error on Saul's part of them all. And so Saul's death was not just for not inquiring of God - it was for being unfaithful and transgressing, including not killing all of the Amalekites, and this was simply the lid that closed the jar.
While it is not impossible that originally both 2 Chronicles and 1 Kings had either 2000 or 3000 baths as the measurement and throughout the centuries one of the two books (or both) had a copyist error where the values we have through our manuscripts now are different, the 18th century commentary of Adam Clarke proposes two other possible solutions:

In 1 Kings vii. 26, it is said to hold only two thousand baths. As this book [2 Chronicles] was written after the Babylonish captivity, it is very possible that reference is here made to the Babylonish bath which might have been less than the Jewish. We have already seen that the cubit of Moses, or of the ancient Hebrews, was longer than the Babylonish by one palm; see on chap. iii. 3. It might be the same with the measures of capacity; so that two thousand of the ancient Jewish baths might have been equal to three thousand of those used after the captivity. The Targum cuts the knot by saying, "It received three thousand baths of dry measure, and held two thousand of liquid measure."

There is a manuscript even in I Kings 4:26 that reads "four thousand." However, the better and oldest manuscripts read "40-thousand." We read in 2 Chron. 1:14 that Solomon had 1400 chariots and 40-thousand horses would have been about right for that many chariots.
[/quote]

2 Samual Chap 24: 1 God tells him to [/quote]

the internet.

john 18:9 Thus what He had said was fulfilled and verified, Of those whom You have given Me, I have not lost even one.[/quote]

Back