A Few Quite Quotes

“I do not become devoted in the true sense until I have found my rest (certainty of Christ’s expiation for my sin—NC) in the Lord Jesus. I am, up to this, rather looking to receive from Him. I am more an object to myself; but when I find how fully I am an object to Him, then my heart is at liberty to make Him its Object, He having made me His.”—J B Stoney (1814-1897)

“It is a wonderful moment for the soul when by faith we occupy our position (our “position” is Christ; our “condition” is saved—NC) in the favor of our Father—when we know that we are received by Him in all the acceptance of the Lord Jesus Christ (Eph 1:6). We do not then think of ourselves, of our worthiness or unworthiness, at all (believers are worthy through Christ - 1Co 11:27, 29; Eph 4:1; Rev 3:4). We think of the Lord Jesus—His perfections, His suitability to divine favor, His infinite acceptance with the Father—and by faith, we have access into the favor of which He is so worthy (Rev 4:11).”—C A Coates (1862 1945).

“May you retire into the secret of your heart and wait on the Father, and think that His heart is so relieved of everything about you, that He sees you according to the Son at His right hand. Amidst all the confusion and contrariety of this scene I know how my Father feels about me.”—J B S

“Our Lord Jesus Christ, ‘who died for us, that whether we wake of sleep, we should live together with Him’ (1Thes 5:10). Can anything affect your heart so much as the way the man in Christ is received in the new position (it’s been said that our condition cannot affect our position—but our position affects our condition—NC)? What I press now is the right that we have to be in the place, and that it is not only that I delight to be there, but the ineffable thought is that the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ delights to have me in His place, sharing His joys.” –J B S

“When I look at this place, He is not here; and when I look at myself naturally I am not fit for Him. How happy then to know that I belong to the place where He is; and that in Him, through grace, I am made suited to Him in that new place Above.” –J B S

“Let my circumstances be what they may, if I can see them ordered for me unfailingly by the One in Whom is infinite wisdom, power (omnipotence) and goodness combined, and whose love toward me I am assured of, my restlessness is gone, my will subjected to that Other will in which I can but acquiesce and delight” (all that a saint encounters is either known and allowed to transpire or is directly ordered by God, and regardless of the outcome He is always in control of everything and uses it for our ‘good’ - Ro 8:28—NC).—F W Grant (1834-1902)

“In every trial, however gloomy, there are gleams of light and relief; but full deliverance is often delayed by our anxiety to obtain it. God Himself, and not the deliverance, is to be the satisfaction of His servant; consequently the deliverance is often postponed until we are without prospect or expectation of it; and then it may be accorded in a manner so transcendently beyond our conception, that we must see and understand the love and interest which surrounded us during the whole period of grief.”—J B S

“’In everything we are enriched by Him’ (1Co 1:5). The favor of our Father is given to us in Christ Jesus, and in everything we are enriched in Him. If we are not happy it is because we have temporarily lost sight of the favor given us in Him. In our foolishness we turn to the world or look into our own hearts, instead of keeping our eyes on the Lord Jesus, the risen and exalted Man in Whom the Father has given us His favor.”—C A Coates

“The nearer you are to the Father the happier you are. You come in now in all the beauty of the Lord Jesus Christ. Then you find that not only has all the offense been removed, but that the Father has been so fully glorified by the Son that the nearer you come to Him, the more you are assured of His love.”—J B S

MJS daily devotional excerpt for August 5

“Could it be possible that God would so love an individual as to give His only Son to die for him and still love him to the extent of following him with the pleadings and drawings of His grace until He has won that soul into His own family and created him anew by the impartation of His own divine nature, and then be careless as to what becomes of the one He has thus given His all to procure?” –Lewis Sperry Chafer (1871-1952).

Back