A Little Concerned That I May Lose My Job Over A Family Emergency In Another State

My middle daughter was in a t-bone accident on Sunday. She was the passenger in the car that was hit on the passenger side. The car that hit them infiltrated into their car. Thank God My daughter is okay. She has a concussion and a severely sprained ankle. They lifeflighted her to the nearest trauma center.

I didn't know she was going to be okay when we left and even if she had been I was still going to need to see her and hold her for my ownnpeace of mind. My fiance got into a rental car and drove to Upstate, NY where my daughter lives along with her siblings.

What I told my supervisors is that I will not be in all week and that the days off that I was going to take June 21-24 just transfer them to this week as I have the PTO time. I was told absolutely about not coming into work by my one supervisor, but he is just an assistant manager.

I have been texting my main supervisor and she has not responded to me. I have asked her to cancel the PTO for the days later in the month so I can request this week instead. My texts have gone unanswered and the PTO hasn't been canceled.

So I am concerned that I have been fired over this. I know I could have another job in two weeks if I went back to working on an ambulance, but it would also be a $5 per hour pay cut and I am back to long hours and activity that for someone who is 1 1/2 years shy of 50 that takes a toll on the body. It is the reason I got off an ambulance, that and the long hours.

My fiance tells me that I have done the right thing. I am currently trying where I need to be, with my daughter and her siblings, so even if I get fired it is through no wrong doing.

I just wish I didn't have anxiety over this.

Thanks for reading this post!

Hello naomanos;

Most of all, I thank God your daughter is going to get better. I agree with your fiance that you did the right thing.

There is incomplete information in what you shared about getting the time off to be with your daughter. With a sudden emergency like yours, was your main supervisor that hard to get a hold off? On top of that with no response from him/her, now you feel you may lose your job?

(You mentioned you work in an ambulance.) Any trained supervisor or manager in the medical / ambulance profession, are aware that they're in the business of helping and saving people. Second, because they are in this profession their communication with their team should always be ongoing and open, your case for example.

As a Christian Dad, your family always comes first. God provides the secondary things, like a job, provisions and personal needs.

I'm sure your calls to your main supervisor is recorded with a date stamp. The assistant manager would have passed your emergency to the main supervisor by now.

If this was my child, job and emergency, I would have escalated this to the next level of management and the PTO would work itself out if my reporting supervisor was not responsive.

I'm lifting you up in prayer, naomanos, that God will work it all out for you. He sees your heart and is healing your daughter. Right now she needs her Dad to be there for her.

Be at peace, brother.

My middle daughter was in a t-bone accident on Sunday. She was the passenger in the car that was hit on the passenger side. The car that hit them infiltrated into their car. Thank God My daughter is okay. She has a concussion and a severely sprained ankle. They lifeflighted her to the nearest trauma center.

I didn't know she was going to be okay when we left and even if she had been I was still going to need to see her and hold her for my ownnpeace of mind. My fiance got into a rental car and drove to Upstate, NY where my daughter lives along with her siblings.

What I told my supervisors is that I will not be in all week and that the days off that I was going to take June 21-24 just transfer them to this week as I have the PTO time. I was told absolutely about not coming into work by my one supervisor, but he is just an assistant manager.

I have been texting my main supervisor and she has not responded to me. I have asked her to cancel the PTO for the days later in the month so I can request this week instead. My texts have gone unanswered and the PTO hasn't been canceled.

So I am concerned that I have been fired over this. I know I could have another job in two weeks if I went back to working on an ambulance, but it would also be a $5 per hour pay cut and I am back to long hours and activity that for someone who is 1 1/2 years shy of 50 that takes a toll on the body. It is the reason I got off an ambulance, that and the long hours.

My fiance tells me that I have done the right thing. I am currently trying where I need to be, with my daughter and her siblings, so even if I get fired it is through no wrong doing.

YOU did the right thing! Your child is OK and you are by her side. Dont worry about the other stuff!

Yes, I know, easy for me to say! If you are fired over this........Call Morgan and Morgan!

Hello naomanos;

Most of all, I thank God your daughter is going to get better. I agree with your fiance that you did the right thing.

There is incomplete information in what you shared about getting the time off to be with your daughter. With a sudden emergency like yours, was your main supervisor that hard to get a hold off? On top of that with no response from him/her, now you feel you may lose your job?

(You mentioned you work in an ambulance.) Any trained supervisor or manager in the medical / ambulance profession, are aware that they're in the business of helping and saving people. Second, because they are in this profession their communication with their team should always be ongoing and open, your case for example.

As a Christian Dad, your family always comes first. God provides the secondary things, like a job, provisions and personal needs.

I'm sure your calls to your main supervisor is recorded with a date stamp. The assistant manager would have passed your emergency to the main supervisor by now.

If this was my child, job and emergency, I would have escalated this to the next level of management and the PTO would work itself out if my reporting supervisor was not responsive.

I'm lifting you up in prayer, naomanos, that God will work it all out for you. He sees your heart and is healing your daughter. Right now she needs her Dad to be there for her.

Be at peace, brother.

Sorry about the incomplete information. My main supervisor was at a movie theater when I tried calling her. She texted to let me know and I gave her the short version of things. When I knew for sure that I was going I texted her and let her know that I would be going to NY for the week. I called the assistant manager and told him what was going on and his response was the "absolutely."

I am not currently working on an ambulance. I work in a plasma center and this happened on a Sunday when the center was closed and at about 7pm.

I am just anxious about the whole thing and peace is hard to come by. My fiance has said that if I lose this job I lose it. That they dont value you as the great employee that you are and aren't deserving of such a great employee.

Sorry about the incomplete information. My main supervisor was at a movie theater when I tried calling her. She texted to let me know and I gave her the short version of things. When I knew for sure that I was going I texted her and let her know that I would be going to NY for the week. I called the assistant manager and told him what was going on and his response was the "absolutely."

I am not currently working on an ambulance. I work in a plasma center and this happened on a Sunday when the center was closed and at about 7pm.

I am just anxious about the whole thing and peace is hard to come by. My fiance has said that if I lose this job I lose it. That they dont value you as the great employee that you are and aren't deserving of such a great employee.

I agree 100% with your fiancé!!!

Dear God............I ask you right now to give our dear sister a sense of calm and peace over this whole situation. I thank you lord for delivering her daughter from harm and I pray that she will recover quickly. Now, would you take this dear lady in your arms and give her that peace that passes all understanding, in Jesus name, amen!

I would have escalated this to the next level of management and the PTO would work itself out if my reporting supervisor was not responsive.
YOU did the right thing! Your child is OK and you are by her side. Dont worry about the other stuff!
My fiance has said that if I lose this job I lose it. That they dont value you as the great employee that you are and aren't deserving of such a great employee.
All this advice is spot on.

If your supervisor doesn’t respond contact their supervisor, everyone, and I mean everyone, has to answer to someone.

Your cause is just and only an unjust organization could deny this, so maybe in the scheme of things it’s best to leave anyway, if that’s how they would treat a thoughtful and Godly employee like you.

I pray for you and your daughter.
God bless you, you are a good person and parent and the “Big Boss” (The King of the Universe) sees and knows this.

In the event that the main supervisor is extremely busy with administrative tasks, the lower supervisor is probably your best way to get information 'on the record'. I'm confident that this will NOT be an issue - compassion for employees in situations like these is usually just fine.

Blessings...

`

No words. Just hugs and prayers.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies, advice, and votes of confidence!

Quick update. My daughter is doing just fine. No adverse effects from the concussion and her ankle is healing.

Got home yesterday morning. Even with all of you saying I did the right thing, I was still panicking all week. I was terrified to go to work today to hear that I have been let go. I went anyway. I get there and find out that they switched the schedule while I was gone and now I have off today. I did speak with the assistant manager since he was the only one there and asked him if I still have a job, he said absolutely and gave me a questioning look. I asked him to go into one of the manager's offices with me and I explained it to him. Part of it was that I had told the big boss when she asked how my daughter was doing that she is okay and I explained the injuries. I told him that I felt like she was going to expect me to come back home since she is "okay." His response was you drove to NY. There is no way anyone can reasonably expect you to turn right back around and drive home. He said that I am fine and that my job is secure from this family emergency.

I feel a bit better now. I was in anxiety mode all week, not just from work stuff, but from my daughter too. Will take me a while to come down off of it I suspect.

Back