A new life

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hi. I’m the “new kid” in the neighborhood and am not sure I know what I am doing. I was raised a Christian; however, during college, I just lost all faith and have called myself an egoistic for the last 40 years. All of a sudden, I feel a need to ground myself and start believing again. There is no major traumatic event that has caused this, but I think it just became time. To be honest with you, the last month has been confusing. I am having to learn how to prey again, been reading the Bible, and have tried to alter how I have seen the world for a long time. I have to admit that, since accepting the Lord and acknowledging that it is His will that guides me, I feel more at peace. Still have a long way to go, but I am headed in the right direction. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Greetings:
Shrink the black hole.Adopt a kid from one the many Christian on-line anonymous charities.As the child gets to (his/her) conversion and you close your wasted years by charity,the gap won't bother you,it won't be there anymore.
bye

am not sure I know what I am doing. I was raised a Christian; however, during college, I just lost all faith and have called myself an egoistic for the last 40 years. All of a sudden, I feel a need to ground myself and start believing again. I am having to learn how to prey again, been reading the Bible, and have tried to alter how I have seen the world for a long time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello rtm3039;

Many times we don't know how we got to where we are or what we're doing before the the Lord got our attention. I don't exactly know how God does it but He does get our attention when we least expect.

I feel you have gotten off to a good, renewed start by praying and reading the Bible. After your studies in college and career in the military, no doubt you have seen alot and have hard knocks experience, reflecting the world in these times.

I would strongly suggest the next step is to pray, asking the Lord to lead you to a church in your community. Ask to meet with the Pastor. He would love to "listen" to your story so he/she can get to know and how to pray for you.

Whether a short or long time, when we come back to the Lord, He was always standing there, ready to receive us back.

Please read Jeremiah 17:14, 14 Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise.

God bless you, rtm3039, and your family.

Greetings:
Shrink the black hole.Adopt a kid from one the many Christian on-line anonymous charities.As the child gets to (his/her) conversion and you close your wasted years by charity,the gap won't bother you,it won't be there anymore.
bye
Hi. I am not sure I understand what you are telling be, but thank you for your response.

Hello rtm3039;

Many times we don't know how we got to where we are or what we're doing before the the Lord got our attention. I don't exactly know how God does it but He does get our attention when we least expect.

I feel you have gotten off to a good, renewed start by praying and reading the Bible. After your studies in college and career in the military, no doubt you have seen alot and have hard knocks experience, reflecting the world in these times.

I would strongly suggest the next step is to pray, asking the Lord to lead you to a church in your community. Ask to meet with the Pastor. He would love to "listen" to your story so he/she can get to know and how to pray for you.

Whether a short or long time, when we come back to the Lord, He was always standing there, ready to receive us back.

Please read Jeremiah 17:14, 14 Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise.

God bless you, rtm3039, and your family.

Good morning bobinfaith and thank you for your comments. I did as you recommended and read Jeremiah 17. As expected, my issues are trying to understand the meaning of the written words, but I understand. Part of me feels a bit hypocritical coming to the Lord, after so much time. I use to justify my belief, or lack thereof, by saying to myself that I have spent a life serving for the good of others and that I was not a "bad person." I still believe both, but now know that faith has to go beyond being good and more towards accepting the Lord and understanding that it is He who is in control.

It's hard for me to explain, but ever since I turned towards the Lord, I feel as if a heavy weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I am still stumbling through the process, but I now feel like I am part of something much bigger.

Again, thank you for your insightful observations and God bless you and your family as well.

Hi. I’m the “new kid” in the neighborhood and am not sure I know what I am doing. I was raised a Christian; however, during college, I just lost all faith and have called myself an egoistic for the last 40 years. All of a sudden, I feel a need to ground myself and start believing again. There is no major traumatic event that has caused this, but I think it just became time. To be honest with you, the last month has been confusing. I am having to learn how to prey again, been reading the Bible, and have tried to alter how I have seen the world for a long time. I have to admit that, since accepting the Lord and acknowledging that it is His will that guides me, I feel more at peace. Still have a long way to go, but I am headed in the right direction. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Everybody was new at some time or another.

Praying is actually easy brother. Close your eyes, then talk to God. There are no fancy words to be used. He is our Father and He wants to talk with us.

My advice is to visit some local churches and find one where the Word of God is preached without apology.
You will know when that happens.
The Holy Spirit of God will over come you and convince you that where you are He is also.

Then get into a Bible study. I would say to you as I do all new comers to read and study the Gospel of John.
JOhn is the only Bible writer who predates Genesis and goes beyond Armageddon.

It is not reliable to let people tell you what the bible says. Many people will make up stuff because they don't know what it says, and many will make up stuff because they wish it would not say what it says. You just have to read it for yourself.

Read a chapter of Proverbs every day. Proverbs has 31 chapters so you can keep your place by just looking at a calendar. There is no religion or nothing in Proverbs and you don't have to believe anything. Just read to find wisdom.

When you are comfortable with that, then read the bible from Romans to 2 Thessalonians over and over until you start to remember what it says. That is the part that applies to Christians.

It only takes a few weeks of studying the bible to learn more than anybody in your church knows, including the minister. That is because almost nobody studies the bible; they study what other people have said about the bible. You have to be careful to be polite, because you can run rings around those people. You will be quoting passages from memory while they are thumbing through tracts and commentaries trying to find something to say.

Back