A Statement of Faith

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Would someone venture a guess as to which group holds to the following Statement? Are there any glaring differences from what you personally hold?

1. We believe in one sovereign, holy, gracious, and living God, eternally existing in the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit, the Creator and Sustainer of all things that exist. (Ex.34:6, Deut.6:4, Col.1:16&17)

2. We believe that the Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God, revealing God and His will, both in the Old and the New Testaments. (Luke 1:70, II Tim.3:16, II Peter 1:20&21)

3. We believe that in the beginning God created all things in six days and on the seventh day He rested. He made man in His own image, with a free will, moral character, and a spiritual nature. (Col.1:16&17,John 1:1-13)

4. We believe that man, through unbelief and disobedience, fell into sin bringing death and trouble upon the human race: that man as a sinner is self-centered and self-willed and needs Christ to redeem him. (Rom.3:10-18,23,5:12)

5. We believe that Jesus was born of the virgin Mary, fully human and fully divine, and perfectly His Father’s will both in life and in death. offering himself as a ransom to all who will receive Him. (John 1:14, Matt.20:18, Col.2:9, Gal.4:4-6)

6. We believe there is one mediator between God and man, Jesus, who shed His blood and died on Calvary, was resurrected and ascended into heaven and is sitting at the Father’s right hand. (John 3:16, Heb.9:12-14, Col1:20-22)

7. We believe salvation is by grace through faith in Christ-a free gift bestowed by God to all who are repentant of their sins, are born again, and walk in newness of life. (Eph.2:8&9, John 3:3-5, Rom.6:1-7, Rom.10:9&10)

8. We believe the church is the bride of Christ, holy and beloved, a faithful gathering of believers. And all those who walk in obedience to God’s Word constitute the True church of Christ. (Eph.5:25-27, Heb. 10:23-25, Col.1:18, 1 John 1:7)

9. We believe that those who repent and believe should be baptized with water as an outward sign of the inward new birth, baptism of the Spirit, cleansing from sin, and commitment to Christ. (Acts 2:38, Acts 10:47 &48, 1 Peter 3:21)

10. We believe the church should observe the communion of the Lord’s Supper, as a token of His broken body and shed blood in a common union of believers. (1 Cor.10:16, 1 Cor.11:23-26)

11. We believe Jesus taught by example and commandment that feet-washing is a symbol of brotherhood, service, and humility. (John 13:3-17)

12. We believe that discipleship can thrive both in prosperous and difficult times for those who exercise faith, the fruits of the spirit, surrender to the divine will, love, and nonresistance to evil. (Heb.11, Gal.5:22-25, I Peter 2:21&22, 1 Cor.13)

13. We believe that marriage is designed by God to be the union of one man and one woman for life. Therefore any sexual relationship outside this marriage is adultery. Furthermore; adultery, fornication, homosexuality and such are condemned by God. (Heb.13:4, Mark 10:6-9, Rom.1:24-28, 1 Cor.6:9&10)

14. We believe that the personal appearance and lifestyle of Christian men and women should be modest and free of worldly fashion and adornment, maintaining simplicity in all areas of life, living as strangers and pilgrims in this world, seeking a heavenly city not made with hands. (Rom.12:1&2, James 4:4, 1 John 2:15-17)

15. We believe God has established special roles for the man and the woman, therefore it is the man’s responsibility to be the spiritual leader in the home and the church and the man’s head should be uncovered in praying or prophesying, while the woman’s head is to be veiled signifying their acceptance of Christ’s order. (1 Cor.11:1-16)

16. We believe the promotion of Christian values requires us to shun evil which includes the values of contemporary media, urban culture, and modernism. (John 17:13-21, Rom.12:1&2,1 Cor.15:33, 1 John 2:15-17)

17. We believe Christians should not take part in destruction of life, born or unborn, nor in any acts of retaliation. Instead, living a non-resistant lifestyle, demonstrating the love of Christ in daily life. (Matt.5:39-46, John 18:36,Rom.12:19-21)

18. We believe the church and state are ordained of God as separate entities in His plan and that believers should honor rulers and be subject to them and pray for them. (Rom.13:1-7,1 Peter 2:13-17)

19. We believe that the unrepentant, fallen brother or sister shall be excommunicated from the body of Christ in the spirit of love, and shall be received back into the fellowship upon repentance and amendment of life. (1 Cor.5:1-13,II Cor.6:14)

20. We believe in the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, the blessed hope of believers, and that upon His return He will resurrect the righteous to eternal bliss in heaven, and the unrighteous to eternal damnation in hell. He will sit on the throne of His glory, judging all humans in the last day. (I Thess.4:16&17, Matt.25:31-46)

It sounded possible that it was Amish and I found this on the web.

That's right. I didn't want to give the source as it would have been a dead give-away.
Was there anything that popped out in their Statement that would rub you the wrong way?

Several things actually, but as Christians I will not put down their beliefs and only suggest that they be sure in their own minds that it is the Spirit of truth that has led them to this understanding. God holds each of us responsible for proving all things (1 Thess 5:21) and it is the Holy Spirit that reveals and leads us to the truth.

I agree with much of it, although I'm hesitant on some of the points since not all the terms are defined in relation to the meaning in minds of the originators.

MM

Several things actually, but as Christians I will not put down their beliefs and only suggest that they be sure in their own minds that it is the Spirit of truth that has led them to this understanding. God holds each of us responsible for proving all things (1 Thess 5:21) and it is the Holy Spirit that reveals and leads us to the truth.
Just to be clear, I didn't post their Statement as an opportunity to put down the Amish, but rather to show that their beliefs are not that far from the standard fare of Christianity, even as Musicmaster pointed out above, yet they are treated as a far-afield kooked group by many of those holding to the (nearly) same beliefs. Something definitely not justified.

Last edited:
When I moved to western Maryland a few years ago we noticed a large(ish) local population of Amish and closely related denominations.
We are close to Pennsylvania (the epicenter of the Peninsula-Dutch) and they are not a far-afield kooked group.

These include relatively traditional Amish, Mennonite, and Church of the Brethren. It is not unusual particularly on Sunday to see Amish buggies around, and one can often recognize traditional clothing choices.

I would point out that adult baptism by immersion was much influenced by these denominations. In fact, in the pre-revoluion America which was largely settled (most colonies) by Church of England (and associated dissidents) preachers were sometimes jailed for preaching adult immersion baptism.

Would someone venture a guess as to which group holds to the following Statement? Are there any glaring differences from what you personally hold?

1. We believe in one sovereign, holy, gracious, and living God, eternally existing in the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit, the Creator and Sustainer of all things that exist. (Ex.34:6, Deut.6:4, Col.1:16&17)

2. We believe that the Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God, revealing God and His will, both in the Old and the New Testaments. (Luke 1:70, II Tim.3:16, II Peter 1:20&21)

3. We believe that in the beginning God created all things in six days and on the seventh day He rested. He made man in His own image, with a free will, moral character, and a spiritual nature. (Col.1:16&17,John 1:1-13)

4. We believe that man, through unbelief and disobedience, fell into sin bringing death and trouble upon the human race: that man as a sinner is self-centered and self-willed and needs Christ to redeem him. (Rom.3:10-18,23,5:12)

5. We believe that Jesus was born of the virgin Mary, fully human and fully divine, and perfectly His Father’s will both in life and in death. offering himself as a ransom to all who will receive Him. (John 1:14, Matt.20:18, Col.2:9, Gal.4:4-6)

6. We believe there is one mediator between God and man, Jesus, who shed His blood and died on Calvary, was resurrected and ascended into heaven and is sitting at the Father’s right hand. (John 3:16, Heb.9:12-14, Col1:20-22)

7. We believe salvation is by grace through faith in Christ-a free gift bestowed by God to all who are repentant of their sins, are born again, and walk in newness of life. (Eph.2:8&9, John 3:3-5, Rom.6:1-7, Rom.10:9&10)

8. We believe the church is the bride of Christ, holy and beloved, a faithful gathering of believers. And all those who walk in obedience to God’s Word constitute the True church of Christ. (Eph.5:25-27, Heb. 10:23-25, Col.1:18, 1 John 1:7)

9. We believe that those who repent and believe should be baptized with water as an outward sign of the inward new birth, baptism of the Spirit, cleansing from sin, and commitment to Christ. (Acts 2:38, Acts 10:47 &48, 1 Peter 3:21)

10. We believe the church should observe the communion of the Lord’s Supper, as a token of His broken body and shed blood in a common union of believers. (1 Cor.10:16, 1 Cor.11:23-26)

11. We believe Jesus taught by example and commandment that feet-washing is a symbol of brotherhood, service, and humility. (John 13:3-17)

12. We believe that discipleship can thrive both in prosperous and difficult times for those who exercise faith, the fruits of the spirit, surrender to the divine will, love, and nonresistance to evil. (Heb.11, Gal.5:22-25, I Peter 2:21&22, 1 Cor.13)

13. We believe that marriage is designed by God to be the union of one man and one woman for life. Therefore any sexual relationship outside this marriage is adultery. Furthermore; adultery, fornication, homosexuality and such are condemned by God. (Heb.13:4, Mark 10:6-9, Rom.1:24-28, 1 Cor.6:9&10)

14. We believe that the personal appearance and lifestyle of Christian men and women should be modest and free of worldly fashion and adornment, maintaining simplicity in all areas of life, living as strangers and pilgrims in this world, seeking a heavenly city not made with hands. (Rom.12:1&2, James 4:4, 1 John 2:15-17)

15. We believe God has established special roles for the man and the woman, therefore it is the man’s responsibility to be the spiritual leader in the home and the church and the man’s head should be uncovered in praying or prophesying, while the woman’s head is to be veiled signifying their acceptance of Christ’s order. (1 Cor.11:1-16)

16. We believe the promotion of Christian values requires us to shun evil which includes the values of contemporary media, urban culture, and modernism. (John 17:13-21, Rom.12:1&2,1 Cor.15:33, 1 John 2:15-17)

17. We believe Christians should not take part in destruction of life, born or unborn, nor in any acts of retaliation. Instead, living a non-resistant lifestyle, demonstrating the love of Christ in daily life. (Matt.5:39-46, John 18:36,Rom.12:19-21)

18. We believe the church and state are ordained of God as separate entities in His plan and that believers should honor rulers and be subject to them and pray for them. (Rom.13:1-7,1 Peter 2:13-17)

19. We believe that the unrepentant, fallen brother or sister shall be excommunicated from the body of Christ in the spirit of love, and shall be received back into the fellowship upon repentance and amendment of life. (1 Cor.5:1-13,II Cor.6:14)

20. We believe in the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, the blessed hope of believers, and that upon His return He will resurrect the righteous to eternal bliss in heaven, and the unrighteous to eternal damnation in hell. He will sit on the throne of His glory, judging all humans in the last day. (I Thess.4:16&17, Matt.25:31-46)
is there something wrong with it? looks all Bible

Which is usually the nitty gritty stuff and not of eternal consequences.
exactly i will get the two main denoms Baptist Pentecostal not all but many on both sides think they have the superior doctrine. .the Baptist think the Pentecostals are nuts and the Pentecostals think the Baptist are dead . times both are right . the sooner we realize were all Christians . we all have difference of opinions on scriptures . we allow the name tag to control us

Just to be clear, I didn't post their Statement as an opportunity to put down the Amish, but rather to show that their beliefs are not that far from the standard fare of Christianity, even as Musicmaster pointed out above, yet they are treated as a far-afield kooked group by many of those holding to the (nearly) same beliefs. Something definitely not justified.

Where the Amish may seem like they have the same doctrines as mainstream evangelicals, they have very strict adherence to elder rule over even the personal home lives of all the members, which we've all seen through many venues. We have Amish all around us where I live, and even do business with them in the house building market. They even put in our window well for our basement. However, as isolationists, they look upon us outsiders as worldly because of so many things I'm sure you all know about already. The movies really have not done justice to many aspects of the Amish lives, but doctrinally I can say that they are dead wrong where scripture is concerned on some things.

Nowhere does the word of God demand separation from the world around us as they have done. They are not salt and light to the world as Christ called His true followers to be in this world. Every attempt I have made to engage them in the word of God about anything, even the most benign topics, they will walk away from you, claiming the elders will not allow them to be influenced from the outsider Bibles or beliefs about the Bible.

So, in all fairness, they have earned the viewpoint they foster in the public eye because of their attitudes toward outsiders. I'm not even allowed to eat a meal with them, and I'm not a part of any shunning, and I'm family in a couple of the districts. They will let me buy bread and pastries from them, but they won't sit at the same table with me. I think I understand why...having been around them so much, in their homes and barns, around their kids, etc., but will keep that to myself as that may be deemed slamming them as a religious people group. Sometimes, deep down, you get that inner, discerning sense about folks when you're around them enough.

MM

Which is usually the nitty gritty stuff and not of eternal consequences.

Wellllllll, yes and no. Like I had said in my earlier message you referenced, there are key words that have a meaning to them that is other than what most any Christian would think is the meaning. Just like Mormons have different definitions for key words in their doctrinal statements that are vastly different from what any Bible-believing Christian would think is the meaning, the Amish have some of the same distinctions in their internal definitions. I'll just leave it at that.

MM

exactly i will get the two main denoms Baptist Pentecostal not all but many on both sides think they have the superior doctrine. .the Baptist think the Pentecostals are nuts and the Pentecostals think the Baptist are dead . times both are right . the sooner we realize were all Christians . we all have difference of opinions on scriptures . we allow the name tag to control us

Could it be said they're both dead nuts? I was raised Baptist, and married a Pentacostal...

Where the Amish may seem like they have the same doctrines as mainstream evangelicals, they have very strict adherence to elder rule over even the personal home lives of all the members, which we've all seen through many venues. We have Amish all around us where I live, and even do business with them in the house building market. They even put in our window well for our basement. However, as isolationists, they look upon us outsiders as worldly because of so many things I'm sure you all know about already. The movies really have not done justice to many aspects of the Amish lives, but doctrinally I can say that they are dead wrong where scripture is concerned on some things.

Nowhere does the word of God demand separation from the world around us as they have done. They are not salt and light to the world as Christ called His true followers to be in this world. Every attempt I have made to engage them in the word of God about anything, even the most benign topics, they will walk away from you, claiming the elders will not allow them to be influenced from the outsider Bibles or beliefs about the Bible.

So, in all fairness, they have earned the viewpoint they foster in the public eye because of their attitudes toward outsiders. I'm not even allowed to eat a meal with them, and I'm not a part of any shunning, and I'm family in a couple of the districts. They will let me buy bread and pastries from them, but they won't sit at the same table with me. I think I understand why...having been around them so much, in their homes and barns, around their kids, etc., but will keep that to myself as that may be deemed slamming them as a religious people group. Sometimes, deep down, you get that inner, discerning sense about folks when you're around them enough.

MM
Yes I'm aware of their aloofness from the world and the English, as one could say 'they are not of the world nor are they in it'.

Wellllllll, yes and no. Like I had said in my earlier message you referenced, there are key words that have a meaning to them that is other than what most any Christian would think is the meaning. Just like Mormons have different definitions for key words in their doctrinal statements that are vastly different from what any Bible-believing Christian would think is the meaning, the Amish have some of the same distinctions in their internal definitions. I'll just leave it at that.

MM
Speaking of nitty gritty I did notice that in point #7...

the word 'alone' was left out putting them in agreement with Rome (and many modern Evangelicals on Justification.
But hey who cares? Right? All that doctrine stuff is unimportant and just divides. (tongue in cheek)

Here's an interesting (less than 2 minutes) news story about an Amish community that I don't think one will find in their doctrinal statement above as to why some are being imprisoned for their internal shaming practices on the basis of what they call "church disciplining" of adults:

Back