Advice On Music Problem

I have always enjoyed listening to punk music, specifically British bands such as The Clash and Sham 69. Over the last few months, through recommendations on YouTube, I have discovered lots of new bands. But I found myself listening to more and more 'Skinhead' music. A lot of these bands hold racist, neo-Nazi beliefs. I know I am not a racist person at all but I enjoy the music so much I can't stop going onto YouTube and listening to these kinds of bands.
I feel guilty as I know I shouldn't listen to them. Any advice on how I can stop this? I know there are lots of reasons why it's wrong to listen to bands and music with this kind of political view.

Many Christians, myself included, have resolved and promised the Lord that we will not entertain secular music in our lives. There is SO MUCH in the way of great music out there that honours God and blesses His heart and in turn blesses and enlivens us by His spirit, that one can see that there is NOTHING that secular music can offer us that is worthy. Most secular music glorifies Satan and satanic things, and sin in general. We are admonished by God to fill our minds with good things! This dark kind of music is from the pits of hell and has no good thing attached to it.

I have always enjoyed listening to punk music, specifically British bands such as The Clash and Sham 69. Over the last few months, through recommendations on YouTube, I have discovered lots of new bands. But I found myself listening to more and more 'Skinhead' music. A lot of these bands hold racist, neo-Nazi beliefs. I know I am not a racist person at all but I enjoy the music so much I can't stop going onto YouTube and listening to these kinds of bands.
I feel guilty as I know I shouldn't listen to them. Any advice on how I can stop this? I know there are lots of reasons why it's wrong to listen to bands and music with this kind of political view.
Have you tried checking Jesus Freak Hideout and looking through the punk bands listed there?

I know it's hard to give up bands you like. I don't think there is anything wrong with listening to secular music as long as the lyrics are okay.

I think there is some sort of attraction to the darkness in some secular music. I know I love the darkness in Nine Inch Nails music. It isn't just the instruments that I like, so I know what you mean.

Hi, I had the same problem, really the solution is to just stop listening to that type of music and replace it with holy music. I've noticed my taste is changing just by forcing myself at times to listen to calm christian music. Right now i'm addicted to the song Your Love Oh Lord by the band Third Day. Check it out maybe you'll like it? Anyways its fun and easy to sing to.

Hi, I had the same problem, really the solution is to just stop listening to that type of music and replace it with holy music. I've noticed my taste is changing just by forcing myself at times to listen to calm christian music. Right now i'm addicted to the song Your Love Oh Lord by the band Third Day. Check it out maybe you'll like it? Anyways its fun and easy to sing to.
Why should he change the style of music he likes? There are plenty of Christian punk bands.

I think it depends on your level of faith. Some people can listen to any kind of music and not have it influence their life, others start to change their behavior and act out the lyrics. Impressionable children fall into this category, impressionable Christians do as well.

I personally listen to mostly Christian music for the positive influence in has on me. I find myself praying and giving thanks more than I have in the past. I'm sure the music isn't the only reason for this, but I believe it has helped.

Back