Anger Issues In Matthew 5:22

I ran across Matthew 5:22. Jesus says we can have anger without a cause (makes you in danger of judgment), calling someone a name Raca which means worthless (being in danger of the Council) and calling someone a fool (being in danger of hell fire).

Haven't we all done each of these a time or two at least? Is Jesus painting a picture of how much humans need Him to take the penalty of sin for us?

I ran across Matthew 5:22. Jesus says we can have anger without a cause (makes you in danger of judgment), calling someone a name Raca which means worthless (being in danger of the Council) and calling someone a fool (being in danger of hell fire).

Haven't we all done each of these a time or two at least? Is Jesus painting a picture of how much humans need Him to take the penalty of sin for us?
Yes, that is what Jesus is doing. Everyone who is saved is forgiven of all their sins. Jesus is showing how terrible the sins are that many think aren't so bad. Every sin (everything not of faith and of love) is cause for all of the above dangers. Thankfully, Jesus paid for your sins if you believe.

However, when someone believes they need to give themselves to God's will so that he can fully change them. Realizing how serious the consequences of sin are should cause a person to want to change even if saved, because they now understand the seriousness of what they are doing and how much suffering God had to take on their account.

Yes! Hallelujah for His coming...

Hebrews 2:14Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15 And deliver ( to snatch away, rescue, save) them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Just as a point of interest, and I'm not 100% sure how accurate it is, but someone once told me that the Aramaic word "raca" is an onomatopoeia, approximating the sound you make in the back of your throat before you spit (the word's root does mean "to spit"). Raca then means "worthless" because the implication of making the sound of preparing spit, but not actually spitting, is like saying, "I was about to spit on you, but then I changed my mind, because I decided that you're so worthless that you're not even good enough for my spit." Try saying "raca" in your throat like you're about to spit on someone you hate... sounds pretty mean!

Anyway, I haven't been able to find out if that's accurate or not, I'm just a word nerd and interested in the mechanics and development of languages, and the ways that sounds in language can come from sounds that seem to carry instinctive meaning for us.

I think the general idea of this verse is that living a life regarding others as empty and worthless in turn makes our own life empty and worthless.

Last edited:
Just as a point of interest, and I'm not 100% sure how accurate it is, but someone once told me that the Aramaic word "raca" is an onomatopoeia, approximating the sound you make in the back of your throat before you spit (the word's root does mean "to spit"). Raca then means "worthless" because the implication of making the sound of preparing spit, but not actually spitting, is like saying, "I was about to spit on you, but then I changed my mind, because I decided that you're so worthless that you're not even good enough for my spit." Try saying "raca" in your throat like you're about to spit on someone you hate... sounds pretty mean!

Anyway, I haven't been able to find out if that's accurate or not, I'm just a word nerd and interested in the mechanics and development of languages, and the ways that sounds in language can come from sounds that seem to carry instinctive meaning for us.

I think the general idea of this verse is that living a life regarding others as empty and worthless in turn makes our own life empty and worthless.

That is interesting! I had a professor many years ago explain that same thing in the same way.
Are you sure we haven't shared that same teacher?

Back