Any here hold to modern sign gifts still operating?

It is not that I am against anything my brother. I read 1 Corinthians 13 where it says that "Tongues will cease". I accept that and believe it.

Having come out from the Pentacostal AOG, I have personally seen and been TAUGHT how to speak in tongues. Now IF it is a gift then why does anyone have to be TAUGHT????

Speaking in tongues.....from what I HAVE SEEN and participated in is very easy to FAKE in order to look Christian.

IMPO and I think many, many others will agree with this and that is it is better to take God at His Word tha it is to speak in a gibberish that no one understands and be looking for a miracle or a healing. Simple faith is more pleasing to the Lord than a reliance on a dazzling sensory experience.

John 20:29
“Jesus told him, ‘Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed’”.
that is fine and i have no doubt it takes place but personally i dont think everyone is taught..

i dont know much about it but i know many a dedicated Chrstians who do speak in tongues ..if its wrong they answer to God not me . this will not be good but i look at like the debate among the branches of Baptist ONE IS %100 ANTI OSAS . the other teach osas . in fact i was a t a church sunday night i heard man testify about being the one of the 99 . he then when on to say bro so and so preached there was 99 scriptures proving osas is not true.

i have many friends on both sides of the fence i was given the big question test before being considered to be voted on as pastor..

i was asked about osas i told them i had a know so salvation and it was secure in Christ ..

its not my cup of tea to say who is right who is wrong.. much of this should be a private interpterion . paul wrote i desire to know nothing among you but jesus Christ him crucifed .. i heard man say he once was southern baptist but switched to Pentecost..

i heard a old time preacher man say i am glad i got saved before becoming a baptist

that is fine and i have no doubt it takes place but personally i dont think everyone is taught..

i dont know much about it but i know many a dedicated Chrstians who do speak in tongues ..if its wrong they answer to God not me . this will not be good but i look at like the debate among the branches of Baptist ONE IS %100 ANTI OSAS . the other teach osas . in fact i was a t a church sunday night i heard man testify about being the one of the 99 . he then when on to say bro so and so preached there was 99 scriptures proving osas is not true.

i have many friends on both sides of the fence i was given the big question test before being considered to be voted on as pastor..

i was asked about osas i told them i had a know so salvation and it was secure in Christ ..

its not my cup of tea to say who is right who is wrong.. much of this should be a private interpterion . paul wrote i desire to know nothing among you but jesus Christ him crucifed .. i heard man say he once was southern baptist but switched to Pentecost..

i heard a old time preacher man say i am glad i got saved before becoming a baptist

I appreciate your thoughts and understanding. I on the other hand made it part of my job to work and study so that I could respond to those who asked why some spoke in tongues while others did not.

You see......when I was involved we were told and taught that tongues was a sign for those who were born again. The queston we wer told to ask when visiting others was......."Are you born again WITH THE EVIDENCE OF SPEAKING IN TONGUES".

In other words.......if you are born again then you will speak in tongues!

I did not even when taught HOW to do it so I began to question if I was saved or not which lead me to to the actual work.

Now.....all kinds of religions speak in tongues. Pagans....Pentecostals....Baptists....Catholics....Methodists......Mormons....SDA and yes even the JW's.

Would those who speak in tongues who then suggest that the Roman Catholics, and all the others who “speak in tongues” have been ‘guided into all the truth,’ by the Holy Spirit, as well as the other way around. If modern-day “speaking in tongues” is truly, the same as the first century, and it is evidence, proof that a person has Holy Spirit; then, all of the above groups would equally have to be the true path to God.

Then the question must be answered.....When many people in a congregation all speak in tongues at one time, WHY IS THERE NO INTERPRETAION DONE????

1 Corth. 14:2...........
“For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.”

In other words, those who speak in a tongue speak to God as opposed to men if he does not have an interpreter for his speech that is to men who are listening. That is to say, the speaking in tongues is meaningless to the men listening, who do not know (understand) the foreign language (or gibberish as seen today) as given miraculously through the Holy Spirit.

None of the so called tongues today are even a real language unlearned b y speaker, its pretty much all gibberish!

Most of what I've heard was out of order, either spoken out of turn or no interpreter, with people blabbering in various, random combinations of syllables that had nothing to do with any known language among mankind. If one chose to address the perpetrators over their misconduct, they would say it was "the tongues of angels not known to man," kind of like all those blurry Bigfoot pictures and videos in forests, and out-of-focus UFO photos guaranteed to keep one from seeing for sure if there were cables or strings attached to the object....no way to really prove anything.

If a spiritual, believing man is sitting on a jet next to someone who only speaks some other language not known to the believer, I fully believe the Lord will empower the believer to speak to the other individual if that is the will of the Father, for that soul to be placed in Hands of Christ. Perhaps the believer wouldn't even know he had even spoken in that other person's language. The Lord works in ways we can never predict, but are wondrous abilities He can still give to whomever He so chooses. The idea one can flip tongues on and off like a light switch....nope. I don't buy it.

MM

I appreciate your thoughts and understanding. I on the other hand made it part of my job to work and study so that I could respond to those who asked why some spoke in tongues while others did not.

You see......when I was involved we were told and taught that tongues was a sign for those who were born again. The queston we wer told to ask when visiting others was......."Are you born again WITH THE EVIDENCE OF SPEAKING IN TONGUES".

I did not even when taught HOW to do it so I began to question if I was saved or not which lead me to to the actual work.

Now.....all kinds of religions speak in tongues. Pagans....Pentecostals....Baptists....Catholics....Methodists......Mormons....SDA and yes even the JW's.

Would those who speak in tongues who then suggest that the Roman Catholics, and all the others who “speak in tongues” have been ‘guided into all the truth,’ by the Holy Spirit, as well as the other way around. If modern-day “speaking in tongues” is truly, the same as the first century, and it is evidence, proof that a person has Holy Spirit; then, all of the above groups would equally have to be the true path to God.

Then the question must be answered.....When many people in a congregation all speak in tongues at one time, WHY IS THERE NO INTERPRETAION DONE????

“For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.”

In other words, those who speak in a tongue speak to God as opposed to men if he does not have an interpreter for his speech that is to men who are listening. That is to say, the speaking in tongues is meaningless to the men listening, who do not know (understand) the foreign language (or gibberish as seen today) as given miraculously through the Holy Spirit.
the 2 biggest red flags to me would be that those into signs gifts are not speaking in real languages, but gibberish, and that they also seem to be into much false and at times heretical theology, such as Word of faith!
And there is NO command in the bile to seek tongues as evidence that means now"baptized in the Holy Ghost

Most of what I've heard was out of order, either spoken out of turn or no interpreter, with people blabbering in various, random combinations of syllables that had nothing to do with any known language among mankind. If one chose to address the perpetrators over their misconduct, they would say it was "the tongues of angels not known to man," kind of like all those blurry Bigfoot pictures and videos in forests, and out-of-focus UFO photos guaranteed to keep one from seeing for sure if there were cables or strings attached to the object....no way to really prove anything.

If a spiritual, believing man is sitting on a jet next to someone who only speaks some other language not known to the believer, I fully believe the Lord will empower the believer to speak to the other individual if that is the will of the Father, for that soul to be placed in Hands of Christ. Perhaps the believer wouldn't even know he had even spoken in that other person's language. The Lord works in ways we can never predict, but are wondrous abilities He can still give to whomever He so chooses. The idea one can flip tongues on and off like a light switch....nope. I don't buy it.

MM
I think that the Lord at times can do tongues in a real language. or dreams, or healings and miracle say in Missionary outreach, but that would be showing to area up til now in darkness jesus is lord, and not "normal operating

MM
Heard one youth pastor tell his group to just sat
see my tie
really fast. and that would be tongues!

I think that the Lord at times can do tongues in a real language. or dreams, or healings and miracle say in Missionary outreach, but that would be showing to area up til now in darkness jesus is lord, and not "normal operating

I would tend to agree. However......the AOG expects and teaches their missionaries to know the language of the people to where their are going????

If tongues are valid today the question must be asked...........WHY?????

i dont have the answers while i respect your view and study . i will stay on the fence till I see the truth of the matter.. i know some ASOG if i was to be Pentecostal .which i am not.. it would be that group as they dont seem as radicial . i get a chance i will ask them some questions. there pretty upfront and sincere
i have heard the born again speaking as sign.. but see That is not Bible . the apostolic oneness there is group . but i dont want to be insulting . i know a full gospel pastor that said he was raised southern baptist.in fact i know 2 of them. it is a interesting discussion . yes i been in services of lots gibberish .
as i sad some time back a woman who was like a sister to me. her brother and i was close friends . she is full blown Pentecostal . i went to a service she was in to see her and visit .. it got pretty wild that's ok i still love her

I live in a multicultural city, tongues are commonplace. I hardly understand what other people are saying half the time but it doesn't bother me as I'm used to it.

This is why I read and write a lot...!

If people are praising God with their tongues then I'm all for it. It's not really for me - God hears and understands it all.

i dont have the answers while i respect your view and study . i will stay on the fence till I see the truth of the matter.. i know some ASOG if i was to be Pentecostal .which i am not.. it would be that group as they dont seem as radicial . i get a chance i will ask them some questions. there pretty upfront and sincere
i have heard the born again speaking as sign.. but see That is not Bible . the apostolic oneness there is group . but i dont want to be insulting . i know a full gospel pastor that said he was raised southern baptist.in fact i know 2 of them. it is a interesting discussion . yes i been in services of lots gibberish .
as i sad some time back a woman who was like a sister to me. her brother and i was close friends . she is full blown Pentecostal . i went to a service she was in to see her and visit .. it got pretty wild that's ok i still love her

1 Peter 3:15-16
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Tongyes and sign gifts were given for a specific time and purpose!
This may very well be, but 'knowledge' (1Cor 13:8) also has an expiration date. I just don't think it's this side of eternity...

1 Corinthians 13:8 (NASB) Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

This may very well be, but 'knowledge' (1Cor 13:8) also has an expiration date. I just don't think it's this side of eternity...

1 Corinthians 13:8 (NASB) Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Geese love Water!

Seems to me that everything has an expiration date.

Faith has an end.
Grace has an end.
Lie has an end.
Death has an end.