Are You Too Sinful For Jesus?

A key passage in the New Testament where Jesus seeks out and shows compassion to those who were marginalized or troubled, including a prostitute, is found in Luke 7:36-50, the story of the sinful woman who anointed Jesus' feet:

Luke 7:36-50 (NIV):​

When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. A woman in that town who lived a sinful life (often interpreted as a prostitute) learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them, and poured perfume on them.

In this passage, Jesus not only accepts the woman, but He defends her against the Pharisees' judgment. After her act of humility, Jesus says to her:

"Your sins are forgiven... Your faith has saved you; go in peace." (Luke 7:48, 50)

This demonstrates Jesus' willingness to reach out to those who were considered outcasts or sinful by society, offering them grace, forgiveness, and restoration.

Another relevant passage:​

John 8:1-11, where Jesus interacts with a woman caught in adultery, also reflects His compassion toward the troubled and marginalized:

John 8:10-11 (NIV):​

Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
"No one, sir," she said.
"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

In both cases, Jesus not only sought out but also forgave and restored those who were rejected or judged by others, offering them dignity, grace, and a new beginning.
I am sure this fits many people in their lives right now. But remember that the Lord has not given up on you.
In the New Testament, all sins are viewed as separating a person from God, and forgivenes is available for all through faith in Jesus Christ. However, not all sins are treated equally in terms of consequences or seriousness, both spiritually and morally. Here’s a breakdown of how the New Testament addresses this:

So If I am Misaligned? Am I forgiven for what ever I do?

1. All Sin Separates from God:

• According to the New Testament, all sin—regardless of its nature—creates a separation between humans and God. This is made clear in Romans 3:23:
    "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
    This highlights that everyone is guilty of sin and in need of forgiveness and reconciliation with God through Jesus Christ. Whether a "small" sin or a more serious one, both lead to separation from God's holiness, and all require repentance.

2. Are There Different Levels of Consequences?:

• While all sin separates from God, some sins are described as more serious due to their consequences or nature. For example, Jesus speaks about certain actions having greater consequences in terms of judgment:
    • Matthew 12:36 says, "But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken." This suggests that careless words, while sinful, will be judged, but Jesus distinguishes between words and more grievous actions.
    • John 19:11: When Jesus is speaking to Pilate, He says, "Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin." This indicates that there are some sins that carry greater moral weight or responsibility.

3. Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit:

• One sin that stands out in the New Testament as particularly serious is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Jesus refers to this in Matthew 12:31-32:
    "And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."
    While this is often debated among theologians, this passage suggests that there is a unique, grave sin tied to a willful rejection of God's saving work through the Holy Spirit. This particularlly is something that families deal with, when one believes and oner repels.

4. Sins With Greater Earthly Impact:

• Some sins carry more significant earthly consequences, impacting individuals and communities in more severe ways. For instance, murder, sexual immorality, and idolatry are treated seriously due to their profound effects on human relationships and societal structures. The apostle Paul often speaks about such sins in terms of their corrupting influence on the church (see 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 for sexual sin, which is described as especially harmful because it is committed against one’s own body, which is a temple of the Holy Spirit).

Final Thoughts to Consider: MHO​

All sins are considered serious in that they separate people from God and require repentance and forgiveness through Jesus. However, the New Testament suggests that some sins have greater consequences, both spiritually and practically, and will be judged more harshly. Despite this, the offer of forgiveness remains available to all who turn to Christ in faith, except for the sin of persistent rejection of the Holy Spirit’s work.

The Purpose of this posting, is to realize you and I are sinners, and will be tested and will fail. But that the Lord is there for you always.
Seek, and find that Jesus is Lord, and you are saved though his Grace and Sacrifice.

AMEN

Back