Asking permission

I'm just wondering whether in your walk you need to ask permission to do things in Jesus name.
Do you ask God, or your church elders, before you go ahead and do them or do you act on what the Holy spirit is nudging you to do.
If you ask, how long do you need to wait before you receive an answer?

I'm also wondering if men in general have less difficulty than women in making desicions as men seem typically being given the responsibilty and authority, and they don't seem to need to ask anyone before doing anything. Or is it just people in 'subordinate' positions.

Do we believers have authority in Jesus to act in a timely manner or do we always have to say 'Mother may I' all the time?

I'm just wondering whether in your walk you need to ask permission to do things in Jesus name.
Do you ask God, or your church elders, before you go ahead and do them or do you act on what the Holy spirit is nudging you to do.

I'm also wondering if men in general have less difficulty than women in making desicions as men seem typically being given the responsibilty and authority, and they don't seem to need to ask anyone before doing anything. Or is it just people in 'subordinate' positions.

Do we believers have authority in Jesus to act in a timely manner or do we always have to say 'Mother may I' all the time?

Christians are all in the subordinate position to Christ. We are Christ's bride.

Personally I regularly go to God asking for direction and trusting that God provides that direction in my life. God often shows the path by opening and closing doors of opportunity in our lives. Sometimes, I discern the right decision soon after prayer and sometimes it is much later. When I give a problem to God I like to leave it there and follow were the Spirit leads. Sometimes that means persistence in asking for guidance.

There are times that I do seek guidance by asking those I trust and respect. I've had elders in my life that have helped greatly in the past, but their are others that I sought at times that all proved helpful in their own ways. Most are not going to make the decision for you, but a good counsellor points out God's view on what is right and wrong in a matter.

I have no idea if there is a difference in how men and women make decisions. I'm sure though that there are many right and wrong ways to make decisions though.

I would think as believers we are empowered by God do his desires him making them the desires of our own hearts as he lovenly works with us .It’s not so much asking your wives Captain or Quen May I. . . . .may i ?,as it is our responsibility to make her burden lighter she is signified as the weakerto respent Christ and the church but is as strong as Deborah ( the Bee) floats like a butterfly stings with a dying faith. The prophetess whom the men refused to go out if she did not lead, in the end making the shared burden lighter. Christians in that way do not have rights. . . they turn into responsibility having the power and desire to carry them .It takes two to establish the government of peace. Loving authority plus willing mutual submissiveness = peace.

With leaders or those in a position of leader, if they don't bother to lead, then what are you meant to do. Just not do anything?

What if there's something urgent that needs to be done and the leader just isn't around, can't be contacted, or even if contacted, doesn't respond.
I'm just thinking in terms of a work situation here.

With God He's very easily contacted and responds pretty much straight away for me. I can just pray. But with people it's harder.

Last edited:
Hello Lanolin;

My relationship with Jesus goes beyond prayers and includes having a conversation with Him. I ask the Lord, "what do you say before I act," or, "may I seek your permission?"

Praying, talking, seeking before acting, or asking permission to the Lord are all signs of Wisdom.

Sure, I'm going to get it wrong here and there but that's how I learn and minimize my mistakes and sin.

In a situation that involves other people, employers and leaders, many times God filled me with Wisdom and guidance to make a decision, or just be still. Those charged over me will confirm whether I did right or wrong.

One time I had to call the police over an incident regarding an employee and personal boyfriend who showed up at work. There was no manager on site. I reported the incident to my general manager and was told I did the right thing.

Another time I cut a check for $10,000.00 to a vendor (I had authorization) without the accounting manager present. But when I reported the transaction I overlooked a piece of information and was reprimanded.

Though we may exercise seeking permission from God and at times he does allow lessons be learned.

We can say or ask anything of the Lord, directly, and this is not a burden but a blessing and relationship with God, first.

Matthew 6:33 is all the answer I need, and this includes asking permission.

God bless you, Lanolin, and your family.

Hello Lanolin;

In Genesis 2:18-20 wo-man were designed to help men and in particular, husbands. God knew what He was doing. Look at Naomi in Ruth. Naomi had a God anointing that led Boaz to make a major decision regarding Ruth.

Yes to more or less difficulty because the responsibility and authority has always been in disarray. Part of the responsibility is to discern the Wisdom, not pride and ego, in decision making from both sides, men and women.

"JESUS' NAME" implies Jesus' AUTHORITY.

Some time ago I was the Chief Electrical Engineer for a German company (Shuler GMBH) that was building Mechanical Presses for Volkwagen America. I was UNDER the Authority of Schuler, and I HAD authority as a result. I KNEW what my authority was (like the centurion with the sick servant Mat 8). SO I could walk into any electrical supplier in COlumbus OH and say (implied) in the name of Schuler, let me get one of those - and they'd give it to me. THEY knew what Schuler was, and what dealing with me would be worth to them.

SO the KEY to HAVING Jesus' Authority is to be UNDER HIS AUTHORITY. If Jesus tells you to do something, then He'll supply the TOOLS to do it with. Peter said to the cripple at the temple gate (Acts 3) - SUCH AS I HAVE I'll give you. Peter KNEW through the Holy Spirit what authority he HAD, and how to use it (you'd BETTER know what's going to happen when you pick up a cripple!!!).

SO if you DON'T KNOW what authority you have - then you don't have any. Gender has nothing to do with it. Take HIS YOKE upon you and LEARN OF HIM (Mat 11:29), and things will fall into place according to HIS will.

"JESUS' NAME" implies Jesus' AUTHORITY.

Some time ago I was the Chief Electrical Engineer for a German company (Shuler GMBH) that was building Mechanical Presses for Volkwagen America. I was UNDER the Authority of Schuler, and I HAD authority as a result. I KNEW what my authority was (like the centurion with the sick servant Mat 8). SO I could walk into any electrical supplier in COlumbus OH and say (implied) in the name of Schuler, let me get one of those - and they'd give it to me. THEY knew what Schuler was, and what dealing with me would be worth to them.

SO the KEY to HAVING Jesus' Authority is to be UNDER HIS AUTHORITY. If Jesus tells you to do something, then He'll supply the TOOLS to do it with. Peter said to the cripple at the temple gate (Acts 3) - SUCH AS I HAVE I'll give you. Peter KNEW through the Holy Spirit what authority he HAD, and how to use it (you'd BETTER know what's going to happen when you pick up a cripple!!!).

SO if you DON'T KNOW what authority you have - then you don't have any. Gender has nothing to do with it. Take HIS YOKE upon you and LEARN OF HIM (Mat 11:29), and things will fall into place according to HIS will.

Hello Bob;

Welcome back to Christian Forum Site and thank you for sharing "JESUS' NAME" implies Jesus' AUTHORITY.

What you share is profound and gives me much to think about.

God bless you, Bob,and your family.

thanks
Some things to think about.
I suppose whether right or wrong, you'll know about it. But maybe it's better to do something than nothing...?

Isn't there a quote that says evil flourishes when good people do nothing.

I think in terms of family the older ones seemingly don't need to ask for permission to do things but the younger ones do, but maybe they all need to.

I think if you have Jesus authority and he gives you the tools to act, you do it. Its not like He'll let you do something that will fail. It will all turn out how He wants it if you obey Him.

I'm trying to figure out something.

I have two jobs. One at school thats finishing for end of year and the other a part time job. One job rostered me on for something on a day that assumed I was finished with the other. But I didn't know until today what day I was going to be finishing. Then I had to check with the school principal about that day because I'm rostered on the other job but I said I'd make up time next year.

She kind of took offence that I hadn't asked PERMISSION. I didn't know I needed to ask permission. If I was supposed to work that day, I may have told my other job boss that I was needed back at school. But if I wasn't it would have been fine.

Maybe nobody else has these problems cos they only have one job. But I just find it annoying to be expected to ask permission when I'm basically told or not told what days I am working.

Its also like this whenever you need to take leave for something. Like you need to do something, maybe a baby is being born! Or there's a funeral. or you fall sick or something. Or an emergency. Or to go to the toilet and you are busting.

You still need to ask permission??

I'm trying to figure out something. I have two jobs. One at school thats finishing for end of year and the other a part time job. One job rostered me on for something on a day that assumed I was finished with the other. But I didn't know until today what day I was going to be finishing. Then I had to check with the school principal about that day because I'm rostered on the other job but I said I'd make up time next year. She kind of took offence that I hadn't asked PERMISSION. I didn't know I needed to ask permission. If I was supposed to work that day, I may have told my other job boss that I was needed back at school. But if I wasn't it would have been fine. Maybe nobody else has these problems cos they only have one job. But I just find it annoying to be expected to ask permission when I'm basically told or not told what days I am working.

Its also like this whenever you need to take leave for something. Like you need to do something, maybe a baby is being born! Or there's a funeral. or you fall sick or something. Or an emergency. Or to go to the toilet and you are busting. You still need to ask permission??

Hi Lanolin;

I read your post and if I'm following correctly, job#1 which I believe is the school library, right? Job#2 is the part time job, right? Job#2 already scheduled you but the job#1 school scheduled you at the same time even though its end of the year.

It seems the job#1 school is your main job and I would explain to job#2 that you thought you were done but you were scheduled.

I had two jobs at different times in my career. The first job was my fulltime job and the second was part time late in the afternoon and closed in the evening. I was fortunate that the two didn't schedule me at the same time but if this happened I gave priority to the first and would have to explain this to the second job.

If the second job didn't understand at least I was up front about it. Most of the time the employer knows people work two jobs and will be flexible.

Asking permission is respecting the employer who gave the job but when you need personal time off or have to go to the bathroom, a good employer understands. Still, out of respect it's good to keep them abreast because of scheduling.

Well Job#1 relented and said since I'd worked a bit extra during the year doing deliveries with dad (who was unpaid) they'd let me have that half day off. So I can work my other job#2 lol

Back