Assist, or Enable

I have taken this article from the book, “The Complete Green Letters,” compiled by Miles J Stanford. It’s from the chapter titled “Help,” page 65. The article is based on the premise that man cannot ask God to help him with anything related to His godly virtues; it’s not like man can do anything to produce any type of power of God—it’s all Him empowering and using the believer.

“God didn’t help us to be saved, and He doesn’t intend to help us live the Christian life.” “The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His (mimic); but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; “no longer I, but Christ.“ -MJS

We can live like Christ lived, but we cannot live Christ’s Life, because He “is our life” (Col 3:4). He must live it through the believer.

“Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ” (1Co 11:1). We follow Paul in following the Lord Jesus!

Assist, or Enable

Can our receiving power from God to live the Christian life constitute Him helping us? No! To assume He is helping us would be to presume that we have a part in effecting some power. Once we understand that we can do nothing but receive, we will be awakened more to the application of the process of all of God’s blessings, especially concerning growth and the strengthening of our faith. If one has a difficulty comprehending this teaching it will have of course no effect on one’s salvation, it only effects the maturity in one’s faith, as all spiritual growth truths do; and faith can only be strengthened, never decreasing from its present level of maturity. Just think of it, the saved being empowered to reach all who are in “the Lamb’s Book of Life” (Rev 21:27); and all who should be saved will be saved.

J E Conant (1866-1955): “Christian living is not our living with Christ’s help, it is Christ living His life in us. Therefore that portion of our lives that is not His living is not Christian living; and that portion of our service that is not His doing is not Christian service (though there will always be times of unintentional sin - Num 15:30; Heb 10:26—NC); for all such life and service have a supernatural and spiritual source.”

William R Newell: (1868- 1956): “Satan’s great device is to drive earnest souls back to beseeching God for what He says has already been done”! Stanford writes, “God could never answer a prayer for help in the matter of justification. The same principle holds true for the Christian life” (though God doesn’t answer according to our way, He guides and enables us how to respond His way—NC).

A W Tozer (1897-1963): “We are forever asking God to do things that He has already done.” We plead for Him to speak when He has already spoken and is at this very moment speaking (God is always working to communicate with us—NC). We ask Him to come when He is already present and waiting for us to recognize Him.”

Watchman Nee (1903- 1972): “God sets us free from the “dominion” of sin, not by strengthening our “old man” (sin nature—NC), but by crucifying him (Ro 6:6); not by helping him to do anything but by removing him from the scene of action” (the old man remains on the Cross concerning believers, and is restrained from causing them to desire sin. Causing one to desire sin is where its dominion lies, because the heart is where our treasure lies (Luk 12:34—NC).

S D Gordon (1859–1936): “When you are in the thick of the fight . . . plead less and claim more.” I do not mean ask God to give you victory, but claim His victory.”

Andrew Murray (1828–1917): “”Even though it is slow, and with many a stumble (Jas 3:2), the faith that always thanks Him—not for experiences, but for the promises on which it can rely—goes on “from strength to strength” (Psa 84:7), still increasing in the blessed assurance that God Himself will perfect His work is us (there is not a single one reborn that will not be made perfect - Phl 1:6; Heb 12:23—NC).

I have taken this article from the book, “The Complete Green Letters,” compiled by Miles J Stanford. It’s from the chapter titled “Help,” page 65. The article is based on the premise that man cannot ask God to help him with anything related to His godly virtues; it’s not like man can do anything to produce any type of power of God—it’s all Him empowering and using the believer. “God didn’t help us to be saved, and He doesn’t intend to help us live the Christian life.” “The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His (mimic); but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; “no longer I, but Christ.“ -MJS We can live like Christ lived, but we cannot live Christ’s Life, because He “is our life” (Col 3:4). He must live it through the believer. “Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ” (1Co 11:1). We follow Paul in following the Lord Jesus!

Hello netchaplain;

I'm struggling with Miles J Stanford's teaching / message.

1. "that man cannot ask God to help him with anything related to His godly virtues;" Yes, we can. I ask God daily to help us all that has to do with His Godly virtues. I noticed you lower case godly.

"it’s not like man can do anything to produce any type of power of God—it’s all Him empowering and using the believer." Yes we can. With God who empowers us can do anything under His will to bring Him glory.

“God didn’t help us to be saved, and He doesn’t intend to help us live the Christian life.” No Christian can save me, only God in Christ Jesus. He is my strength and help. He helps those who become saved and to live the Christian life.

“The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His (mimic); but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; “no longer I, but Christ.“ -MJS Yes, we can. It's my desire to emulate Jesus daily in my Christian disposition. To think we can "mimic" Jesus is silly to the fundamental and seasoned disciple of Christ.

"We can live like Christ lived, but we cannot live Christ’s Life, because He “is our life” (Col 3:4). He must live it through the believer. “Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ” (1Co 11:1). We follow Paul in following the Lord Jesus!" Colossians 3:4 and 1 Corinthians 11:1 are basic fundamental teachings, and are oxymorons between #4 and #5.

Isaiah 41:9-13, 9 you whom I took from the ends of the earth, and called from its farthest corners, saying to you, “You are my servant, I have chosen you and not cast you off”; 10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. 11 Behold, all who are incensed against you shall be put to shame and confounded; those who strive against you shall be as nothing and shall perish. 12 You shall seek those who contend with you, but you shall not find them; those who war against you shall be as nothing at all. 13 For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.”
- ESV

I believe this passage in Isaiah stands firm in my study and belief in contrast to what Stanford is teaching. What am I missing here, netchaplain? I'm listening, brother.

God bless you, netchaplain, and thank you for sharing Assist and Enable.

Hello netchaplain;

I'm struggling with Miles J Stanford's teaching / message.

1. "that man cannot ask God to help him with anything related to His godly virtues;" Yes, we can. I ask God daily to help us all that has to do with His Godly virtues.
Godly virtues are what the believer uses but cannot produce, and is what must be given from God, which makes us godly. Godly or godliness doesn't require capitalization because it's just descriptive and not a direct reference, e.g. God, Father, Godhead, etc. But I see no problem if one desires to capitalize.

God helps us do things in many ways, e.g. "help my unbelief!" (Mar 9:24), but He doesn't impart godliness but rather imputes it to us (Rom 4:22). Only He has control of godliness and every other virtue, like righteousness, sanctification, justification, etc. in a believer. One must be divine to possess His godly virtues, and only the Trinity is divine! God bless Brother, love you much!!

Godly virtues are what the believer uses but cannot produce, and is what must be given from God, which makes us godly. Godly or godliness doesn't require capitalization because it's just descriptive and not a direct reference, e.g. God, Father, Godhead, etc. But I see no problem if one desires to capitalize. God helps us do things in many ways, e.g. "help my unbelief!" (Mar 9:24), but He doesn't impart godliness but rather imputes it to us (Rom 4:22). Only He has control of godliness and every other virtue, like righteousness, sanctification, justification, etc. in a believer. One must be divine to possess His godly virtues, and only the Trinity is divine! God bless Brother, love you much!!

Hello netchaplain;

I do agree with your reply, but what does this mean?

"Godly or godliness doesn't require capitalization," and "He doesn't impart godliness but rather imputes it to us.

What I was referring soundly is this,
God helps and empowers us for we are helpless without Him regarding the virtues He builds us up with.

God bless you, too, brother.

Hello netchaplain;

I do agree with your reply, but what does this mean?

"Godly or godliness doesn't require capitalization,"
The word needs to be a divine pronoun (e.g. God, Father, etc.) to require capitalization. I don't know how to express this any other way. Thanks.
and "He doesn't impart godliness but rather imputes it to us.

What I was referring soundly is this,
God helps and empowers us for we are helpless without Him regarding the virtues He builds us up with.
There is a great difference between imparting and imputing. Impute means to attribute without imparting; Impart means to grant without imputation. God cannot impart or give us righteousness, justification, it must be His and His alone from which we receive.

Yes, God gives us power of the Spirit to do His will, but we cannot produce any power of God, it must be given from Him. The righteousness we have belongs the Lord Jesus only and cannot impart it to a human, because a human is not a deity. But imputing it to us is enough for us to be saved and holy. Another example is that God doesn't impart to us holiness, righteousness, justification, etc. but accounts (imputes) all these attributes to us so we can partake in these things without being given them.

I can see the difficulty in understanding these teachings, for many teachers do not share this level of teaching concerning these issues; many are not that familiar with them!

Back