Bass Guitar Philosophy

Pastor Gary

Senior Moderator and Staff Trainer
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Staff Trainer
As a bass guitarist since the 1960's, I have concluded over the years that there are two philosophies in being a bass guitarist.

Bass Playing Philosophy #1:

Playing bass guitar is to become one with the depth of the song. The bass player is to define the melody and bring rhythmic harmony to the flow of the music. To play bass is to become the glue between the vocals, other instruments and percussion; to bring a measure of fullness to the music and to anchor the foundation of the song.

Bass Playing Philosophy #2:

GRIP IT AND RIP IT!!!

I tend to follow Philosophy #2 ;)

`

Not sure if there are any other bass guitarists in membership here at CFS - however, one of my basses is a Schecter, Diamond Series, Stiletto Elite Five - 5 string bass (pictured below). For anyone who knows about 5 string basses, the "Low B" string has a large diameter to provide a resonant frequency of 31 Hz. The diameter of that "Low B" string will also allow it to be used to pull a car out of a ditch with a pickup truck. (LOL :D )

1620471866332.jpeg

1620471982734.jpeg

Last edited:
A producer friend once handed me a Gretch 5-string bass which had an action like a guitar, and the frets were closer together too. I loved it. He wouldn't sell it, and I've never found one like it since. (I'm actually a guitar player with small hands).

Back