beyond the box

Although I am in the process of receiving and praying for medical help and especially since during this time I have not been able to attend church (it is a distance from here) except services provided online for some time I have been seeking a renewed sense of purpose and direction from the Lord lately. Yesterday a visiting pastor spoke at my church which I was able to catch twice on line since he spoke at all three of our Sunday morning services. He spoke on the "Parable of the Good Samaritan" in a way I have never heard before. This confirms to me in many ways that God does not have a box in which He is contained, that God wants us out of the box, and that sometimes if we don't hear the message to look beyond our specific churches, groups, and forums to others outside the traditional boxes He will provide the means by which we must do this. I have been outside my usual box for some time now and it is okay and for this season of my life this is what God wants for me. In this way I have had new and surprising encounters in which He has allowed me by a word, prayer, and whatever happens to minister His love in little ways. I miss church fellowship and am generally a big promoter of community. I now know the community also means the "city", the "neighborhood", the store, the offices where I have appointments, my relatives, friends outside my church, and more. For me it was time. Thanks be to God who guides us at specific times, using our circumstances, for his purposes either inside or outside the "box". He often does this so we will turn to Him and more prayers of intercession as we pray according to His Will and Word. For this season, which is making more sense to me now, I give Him renewed Praise and Thanks.

Hello Sandpiper;

I am blessed to read your thread. I can tell you have always been a joiner for Christ, getting involved and serving in so many areas in the church and community.

Forgive me for bringing age into my post. When I was in my teens, 20s and 30s I had so much zeal in the church and still had energy to go to work the next morning.

I turned 62 in January and while serving full time as a Pastor, I have slowed down a bit and have discerned God's guidance to step aside for younger members to take the baton, so to speak, Bible studies, leading the praise team, door to door evangelism, etc..

Our eldest member is 82, a retired owner of a successful contruction business but cannot do as much these days, physically. However, God is using him to serve on our Board as an advisor. His business skills has helped us and he ministers to me as a father figure and many times is very direct and will hold me accountable, yet respecting my role in the church. His wife also serves on the Board in a more active admin role. They both love our church family and being visible and active at our potlucks, Holiday events, etc...

Your topic says to us and myself that God is not limited and can use all of us in our circumstances and serving others. I would love to have you worshiping in our church so if you decide to relocate, you're more than welcome to join us in the SF Bay Area.

Thank you for sharing Beyond The Box.

God bless you, Sandpiper and your entire family.

Hello Sandpiper;

I am blessed to read your thread. I can tell you have always been a joiner for Christ, getting involved and serving in so many areas in the church and community.

Forgive me for bringing age into my post. When I was in my teens, 20s and 30s I had so much zeal in the church and still had energy to go to work the next morning.

I turned 62 in January and while serving full time as a Pastor, I have slowed down a bit and have discerned God's guidance to step aside for younger members to take the baton, so to speak, Bible studies, leading the praise team, door to door evangelism, etc..

Our eldest member is 82, a retired owner of a successful contruction business but cannot do as much these days, physically. However, God is using him to serve on our Board as an advisor. His business skills has helped us and he ministers to me as a father figure and many times is very direct and will hold me accountable, yet respecting my role in the church. His wife also serves on the Board in a more active admin role. They both love our church family and being visible and active at our potlucks, Holiday events, etc...

Your topic says to us and myself that God is not limited and can use all of us in our circumstances and serving others. I would love to have you worshiping in our church so if you decide to relocate, you're more than welcome to join us in the SF Bay Area.

Thank you for sharing Beyond The Box.

God bless you, Sandpiper and your entire family.
Hey, this is cool, Pastor Bob. Must share though that most people haven't been able to determine my age as I look and act somewhat younger than I am.

So pleased to hear you are careful and selective. We all need to pray for the gift of discerning even much younger ones, but especially pastors and wives with so much you go through and do for others.

My younger years even working part time and raising a family, and helping my husband with his building business I managed to do a lot. Not now even though our kids long grown, husband passed away, and just me and kitty to fend for...however, still God provides counselees (was once a counselor) which I am able to still do even now and also mentoring mostly younger women.. But nothing too long range for me these days. I was leading bible study groups until not too long ago and look forward to a return to that if only to join in the participation and support the leadership as well as praying. I do intercessory prayer now along with my bible journal.

Bless you, Hazel, and family. I hope some family are living near as you both will be needing them more and more as you both grow older. I am thankful for family who is within 9 miles and one who comes when needed from afar and my youngest who is living far away (Alaska) keeps in touch between visits electronically.

Almost forgot, thanks for the invite to SF. However, have been there more than once. No plans to go to CA although we did spend some winters part time snowbirding there for five years...years ago in S. CA near Palm Springs and four winters in Tucson, AZ. I just don't travel without family now and we usually vacation closer to home like the WA or OR coast. I am looking at (as I type on the PC and not my phone) hanging on my family room wall...a beautiful carved all white wood cross with a dove on it that I bought while visiting at the San Juan Baptista mission near SF while on a tour of missions in CA. some years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks be to God who guides us at specific times, using our circumstances, for his purposes either inside or outside the "box". He often does this so we will turn to Him and more prayers of intercession as we pray according to His Will and Word. For this season, which is making more sense to me now, I give Him renewed Praise and Thanks.
Thanks be to God. I suppose inside the box would be things we can anticipate, and outside the box are things we cannot.

Back