Bible Translations Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE WATCH VIDEO AND HAVE YOUR PREFERRED BIBLE WHILE COMPARING SOME OF THE SCRIPTURES IN THE VIDEO TO KJV AND IF YOU'RE USING A KJV AS YOUR PREFERRED BIBLE LOOK AT THE SCRIPTURES MENTIONED! I think it'd be interesting to look at some comparative scriptures and getting some people's opinion about this. I used to read modern translations NIV/ESV but I did some research on some of their changes(ADDITIONS AND SUBTRACTIONS) that are crucial in the Bible. I hope you guys watch this video and maybe we could do different comparison on scriptures in our Bibles to maybe clarify some things. I have a Common Man's Reference Bible KJV and I highly recommend it to those who are looking for a great study Bible!!!

Last edited:
How can I change my title? I was trying to test to see if the video worked? Also, I'd like to do some poles so how can I edit that in?

You can edit the body but not the title. If you want the Title edited, just message me or one of the moderators and we will do it for you.
Regarding poles, I am sorry I don't know what that is. Can you please explain? Thanks.

I thought that there an option to do polls. Like set up a poll for people to vote which bible translation they read. Usually forums have polls for voting situations on the topic.

I find I can understand difficult passages better using multiple versions. I will use the NIV, NLT, NKJV and KJV for studying. Lately I've been using more the NLT Study Bible for it's ease of understanding. It has many commentaries and gives you literal and sometimes the KJV rendering of a phrase or word. I often use the KJV along with a Strong's Concordance to check on the NIV and NLT versions for accuracy. The KJV is my go to Bible for the original text and the NLT is my modern language Bible, and using both with the NIV gives you comparisons and you find the bad translations in the NIV on occasion, and you also find the failings of the old English in the KJV, using words that are almost foreign in today's usage.
But you still cannot beat the beauty of the KJV, and so I use the NKJV often to retain that flavor.

So I believe using multiple versions is best, remembering to always check with the KJV.

I have a similar approach as big moose. My primary bible is an NLT Chronological Study Bible. I go to KJV and Young's Literal translation while studying. I read the Orthodox Jewish bible some as well mostly just for a totally different approach.

I have a similar approach as big moose. My primary bible is an NLT Chronological Study Bible. I go to KJV and Young's Literal translation while studying. I read the Orthodox Jewish bible some as well mostly just for a totally different approach.
It's good that at the end of the day that you're going to the KJV

Im going to watch this today if you guys know who James White is this should be interesting. He has done a lot of different debates including ones that are about modern translations vs KJV. He is in favor of the modern translations.

It's good that at the end of the day that you're going to the KJV
I've seen the video. I'm not going to be a KJV only person. The Holy Spirit reveals Himself to me when I read any translation. I'm not getting caught up in legalism and elitism. I read many translations, not because I can't decide, I read many to further knowledge and wisdom, not because I consider one to be "more correct" than others.

I revisited this topic not too long ago. Upon a review of my data, I remember why I chose the NIV Study Bible as my go-to version. There has been a lot of data uncovered since the year 1611. As such, what some folks call deletions in some newer versions were actually additions in some older versions. Plus, the language of the NIV has a greater chance of reaching a wider audience due to the comprehension factor.

Regardless, all versions are good for reading and learning. That is also why I like the study Bible format. Lots of footnotes, sidebars, cross-references, maps, timelines, and the like. And the Bible Gateway app allows me to quickly compare many things!

[emoji41]

I watched a good chunk of it. The preacher who talked too fast made it hard to watch. The information was good, especially the history of those Bibles. I don't buy into a few, meaning 1 or 2 % or less, passages which mention new order and other minor translation flaws. I don't think it will influence anyone the wrong way. The cult of personalities are the real threat. People with money or power which translates into influence on secular pseudo religious thought, to coin a phrase, which means non-religious people who think they are or want to be to have some sort of sway. Seems everyone believes they should be in some sort of spiritual camp. Sooooo many people believe they are Christian without having any sort of standard to be held to. They like some parts of the Bible, but mix in other religious tenants and their own feelings on right and wrong and call themselves Christian.

I watched a good chunk of it. The preacher who talked too fast made it hard to watch. The information was good, especially the history of those Bibles. I don't buy into a few, meaning 1 or 2 % or less, passages which mention new order and other minor translation flaws. I don't think it will influence anyone the wrong way. The cult of personalities are the real threat. People with money or power which translates into influence on secular pseudo religious thought, to coin a phrase, which means non-religious people who think they are or want to be to have some sort of sway. Seems everyone believes they should be in some sort of spiritual camp. Sooooo many people believe they are Christian without having any sort of standard to be held to. They like some parts of the Bible, but mix in other religious tenants and their own feelings on right and wrong and call themselves Christian.
What translation do you read? yea Steven Anderson is an interesting preacher he tends to get pretty excited!

PLEASE WATCH VIDEO AND HAVE YOUR PREFERRED BIBLE WHILE COMPARING SOME OF THE SCRIPTURES IN THE VIDEO TO KJV AND IF YOU'RE USING A KJV AS YOUR PREFERRED BIBLE LOOK AT THE SCRIPTURES MENTIONED! I think it'd be interesting to look at some comparative scriptures and getting some people's opinion about this. I used to read modern translations NIV/ESV but I did some research on some of their changes(ADDITIONS AND SUBTRACTIONS) that are crucial in the Bible. I hope you guys watch this video and maybe we could do different comparison on scriptures in our Bibles to maybe clarify some things. I have a Common Man's Reference Bible KJV and I highly recommend it to those who are looking for a great study Bible!!!

So true, bro! Many Christians are clueless as to the history of the Bible and the incessant attack on it by Satan. The debate really comes down to two competing Greek manuscripts: the Textus Receptus and the Critical text. The one is based on the vast majority of ancient manuscripts (like 995 out of every 1,000) and the other is based on a handful of questionable at best manuscripts. YET, all new versions are based on the latter while the KJV and every other Bible before the 20th century was Textus Receptus, including the Peshitta version, the Bible of Ancient Eastern Manuscripts. The Jesuits were the prime movers behind introduction of the newer manuscripts b/c the Textus Receptus did so much damage to their cause, which is why they banned it:

""Then the Bible, that serpent which with head erect and eyes flashing, threatens us with its venom while it trails along the ground, SHALL BE CHANGED into a rod AS SOON AS WE ARE ABLE TO SEIZE IT... for three centuries past this cruel asp has left us no repose. You well know with what folds it entwines us and with what fangs it gnaws us." (The Jesuits in History, Hector Macpherson, Ozark Book Publishers, 1997, Appendix 1).

Yeah, they hated the Bible and now they are perfectly happy for you to read it, providing it's not based on Textus Receptus, of course!

So true, bro! Many Christians are clueless as to the history of the Bible and the incessant attack on it by Satan. The debate really comes down to two competing Greek manuscripts: the Textus Receptus and the Critical text. The one is based on the vast majority of ancient manuscripts (like 995 out of every 1,000) and the other is based on a handful of questionable at best manuscripts. YET, all new versions are based on the latter while the KJV and every other Bible before the 20th century was Textus Receptus, including the Peshitta version, the Bible of Ancient Eastern Manuscripts. The Jesuits were the prime movers behind introduction of the newer manuscripts b/c the Textus Receptus did so much damage to their cause, which is why they banned it:

""Then the Bible, that serpent which with head erect and eyes flashing, threatens us with its venom while it trails along the ground, SHALL BE CHANGED into a rod AS SOON AS WE ARE ABLE TO SEIZE IT... for three centuries past this cruel asp has left us no repose. You well know with what folds it entwines us and with what fangs it gnaws us." (The Jesuits in History, Hector Macpherson, Ozark Book Publishers, 1997, Appendix 1).

Yeah, they hated the Bible and now they are perfectly happy for you to read it, providing it's not based on Textus Receptus, of course!

I will definitely check the video out

I do not need to watch the video as I have been heard/read all these arguments on why you should only read the King James Version before. I do not buy into them. I will stick to my New King James Version of which I have two and the NIV that I was saved on. I also have a copy of the ESV Study tidy Bible that was given to me by a friend on a different Christian forum, but do not read from it much at all these days.

I was led by the Holy Spirit to purchase the two NKJV Bibles that I have when I was looking for a new Bible. One of them is the chronological study Bible which I purchased in 2010 send the more recent purchase of plain reference Bible.

My NIV men's devotional Bible was given to me by my wife before I became Christian and is the Bible that helped lead me to Christ add my Savior.

I really have no use for a King James Version Bible when I have the ones above in my possession.

So... There are NO "perfect" translations.... NONE!

There are 4 separate "questions" being mixed interchangeably here... and we need to separate the 4 issues...

First is the reliability of the proof text itself....
Second is the translation philosophy from the chosen proof text..
Third is the translation accuracy from the chosen proof text...
Fourth is the handling and reporting of "variant readings" from the chosen proof text....

As you might imagine - this could go on for hours and hours and hours..... Go visit a hardline "Calvanist" message board and you will see.... Literally - hundreds of pages quibbling over words in one proof text vs another proof text....

You really need to understand the separate issues - because depending on what you choose - it can push the "Error" in one direction or another...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back