Bibles to Read

A while back there was a discussion on the Forum about bibles. I mentioned I was interested in a Jewish version and I thought someone told me I should get the Complete Jewish Bible. Can anyone tell me if this is the right Jewish bible? I currently read the NASB and the Complete Jewish Bible is almost the same.
Comments are welcome. Thank you, all.

I had never heard of the Complete Jewish Bible (CJB) until I saw your post. I looked it up, and think it is probably a good choice if you want a Bible with Jewish book order and names. It is available in the YouVersion app.

I know nothing about the quality of the translation. It includes the Brit Chadasha (NT) along with the Tanach (OT). It is a messianic translation. Reading it would probably help you understand a Jewish viewpoint, and be prepared to read a standard Jewish Tanach if you wanted to. I suggest looking at the Wikipedia article, Messianic Bible translations to learn more.

A while back there was a discussion on the Forum about bibles. I mentioned I was interested in a Jewish version and I thought someone told me I should get the Complete Jewish Bible. Can anyone tell me if this is the right Jewish bible? I currently read the NASB and the Complete Jewish Bible is almost the same.

I have been using the ESV now for longer than I can remember.

The reason why I changed from the KJV is that the English Standard Version (ESV) is an essentially literal translation of the Bible in contemporary English. It was created by a team of more than 100 leading evangelical scholars and pastors, the ESV Bible emphasizes word-for-word accuracy, literary excellence, and depth of meaning.

But each to his own. I for one am not that familier with the CJB. I have heard about it but never took the time to investigate it.

I have read a bit of the Complete Jewish Bible as I did borrow it at some stage, but as far as I can tell, it's an english translation with yiddish references and Hebrew spellings of names. It follows the traditional bible translations (possibly just using the NASB text) but if it were actually a Hebrew Bible it might have a different order to the Old Testament, as they arrange it differently in terms of the books.

I think complete refers to the fact that the New Testament is translated as well, as of course orthodox Jews would disregard the New testament.

I have argued with Jewish rabbis and scholars about this. The bible is the same, although there are word differences between what we read and what Jews read. Obviously they do not believe in the new testament, but there are exceptions such as reformed Jews. The Torah is almost identical. Jesus quoted Isaiah, which is old testament, but not the Torah.

Back