Blind and Prejudice Bible Reading

Have you ever found yourself in situations where you are reading the bible for the third, fourth and fifth time and see a bible verse that you do not recognize, and it is as if it was not there previously?

1. Example

There was someone who told me about a verse that I had not noticed before. I do not think most Christians know this bible verse, although they might have read it many times. It is Genesis 5:2..

Genesis 5:2 says, “Male and female created he them, and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created (KJV).”

According to the verse, God named both the man and woman Adam. This means that the woman’s name was also Adam, which makes sense since Adam means mankind.

Genesis 3:20 explains that it was Adam who called his wife Eve. He said that he called her Eve because she is the mother of all living creation. And I suppose that it might have created confusion every time God said Adam, and they did not know whether He was speaking to the man or the woman.

Genesis 5:2 is also a good bible verse to illustrate the trinity. There is one Adam that has 2 persons. In the trinity, there is one God that has 3 persons.

The above is an example of some of my experiences with the bible and what some people noticed in the bible, which many others, including myself, have not noticed. Maybe you knew about Genesis 5:2 but have been blind to other bible verses.

I have also noticed that when I hear a sermon about a topic that I have not heard of before, the next time I read the bible, I seem to see more bible verses relating to the topic, which I had previously not noticed. I am not sure if others in the forum have had this phenomenon?

2. What could be the cause?

2.1. Prejudice

I believe that we sometimes see in the bible what we want to see. For example, I have come across atheists who have read the bible, and all the talk about was the negatives and did not see that the love and goodness of God. So they read the bible with negative preconceived ideas and get evidence of what they believe.

Because people see in the bible what they want to believe and read it with prejudice, it becomes difficult to convince any Christian that a certain doctrine is a false teaching because the bible is viewed and interpreted in a way that suits what they want to believe and are “blind” to what contradicts their beliefs.

It is like with Catholics; they seem to always miss 1 Timothy 2:5 since they believe that it is fine for Mary and the saints to be mediators and not only Jesus.

1 Timothy 2:5 says, “For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus (KJV).”

I suspect that it is why we can have one bible, but have different interpretations and opinions, since the only bible verses that stand out to most of us seem to be the ones that appeal to us and tend to be blind to the rest.

2.2. The devil

I believe that the devil causes us not to see certain truths in the bible and causes us to be blind.

The bible says that the devil has the ability to steal the Word from us so that we do not believe. (Luke 8:11-12)

The bible also says in 2 Corinthians 4:4 says that the devil blinds the minds of non-believers.

3. Who is susceptible to spiritual blindness

3.1. Non-believers can be blinded

2 Corinthians 4:4 says, “In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.”

3.2. God’s people and religious leaders can also be blind

The bible refers to the Pharisees as blind (Matthew 23:24). They knew the Old Testament very well, but they could not see that Jesus was the Messiah. According to historians, the Pharisees rejected Christ because they focussed on the scriptures that spoke about the Messiah as some who will triumph over the enemies of Israel and ignored the ones that spoke about the Messiah being a suffering servant.

The bible talks about some people are blind, and various reasons can cause spiritual blindness.
  • Ephesians 4:18 - Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: (KJV)
  • 2 Peter 1:9 - But he that lacketh these things is blind, cannot see afar off, and has forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.(KJV)
  • 1 John 2:11 - But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes. (KJV)

The other possible reason for sometimes missing bible verses could be because of a lack of concentration when reading the bible and also a lack of focus or fatigue.

4. Proposed solution

The problem of missing bible verses could increase the risk of misinterpreting the bible and causing a person to be deceived like the Pharisees.

- I have found that sincerely praying before reading the bible and asking for clearness of mind from God is helpful.
Psalm 119:18 says, “Open thou mine eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law”. (KJV).
Therefore we can ask God to open our spiritual eyes.

- I have also found that reading the bible in the morning straight after waking up results in me retaining more and concentrating more than reading in the evening when I am more tired.

- I have also found that one of the methods that have helped me to ”see” most of the bible verses is writing as I read. i.e., sometimes I will write the main keywords or rewrite the bible verse. This has increased my focus, and I tend to “see” more bible verses. I have also found reading aloud to be helpful, although it is not as helpful as writing out the verse.
I have found that the passive reading of the Bible causes me to forget a lot of things that I have read and causes me to lose focus.

It would be nice to know if other people have other suggestions.

Genesis 3:20 explains that it was Adam who called his wife Eve. He said that he called her Eve because she is the mother of all living creation. And I suppose that it might have created confusion every time God said Adam, and they did not know whether He was speaking to the man or the woman.

Just an aside..................
Adam first named her ishshâh (meaning “woman” Gen 2:23) It wasn’t till after the fall he called her Eve.

As someone once said when you break the word “woman” down, it means…. whoa unto man …which is kind of funny, but also true…. and a good thing.

Speaking for my previous self and some of the wildest baddest gang members and bikers I know… guys who would do anything, just to do it …There were only two things that ever changed those guys…..one was the right woman.... and the other ( a true change) is the Word of God….and many times it was a woman who initiated these hard core guys to the Word of God.
Because people see in the bible what they want to believe and read it with prejudice, it becomes difficult to convince any Christian that a certain doctrine is a false teaching because the bible is viewed and interpreted in a way that suits what they want to believe and are “blind” to what contradicts their beliefs.
I agree totally.....
The natural man (the man of body and soul) as I Cor 2:14 states …is devoid of understanding when it comes to the Word of God.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

It is not until the natural man has a desire (“Seek and ye shall find…”) and gets born again of spirit that the Word will open up to him or her.

Once someone is born again their understanding is enlightened as long as they stay the course as stated in John 16:13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he/it will guide you into all (or one) truth…

Truth is →the Word of God. Truth can be in extra biblical creeds or writings "as long as it is the Word" …but people deviate from the truth when they follow and esteem religious creeds, writings, and philosophical religious doctrines above the written Word. When that happens they read the Bible to substantiate what they believe…and down the rabbit hole they go….and they will defend their beliefs with all the forces of Babylon, because it fits their narrative (religion).

Our coarse should be directed by 2Ti 2:15 …rightly dividing the word of truth. We work/study the Word to see how it fits together allowing the Bible to interpret itself, through the guidance of spirit….then believe what is written.
And there will be times you will find yourself chasing your own beliefs and looking to substantiate it….. and there will be times that what you have concluded is wrong…But being wrong is enlightening, because we want to be right…and if you find yourself chasing your own beliefs ….when you realize it …you get back on track...and say…. what does the Word say.

The biggest violations are when people sometimes see a correlation… then they speculate, and make up stuff, and then draw conclusion based on what they think ….I have caught myself doing the same but …If the Word of God does not declare it …And/or if it doesn’t fit with the entirety of the written Word ………..You just don’t know. .....And there is no harm in not knowing…. there is harm to yourself in speculation and guessing.

ha ha wo unto man.

I think you might never get the Bible the first time you read it (some people skip parts or they don't actually read the whole thing!)
If you are the kind of person who just skips around when they read you are sure to miss things.

I think that's more the case than anything else. The Bible isn't like facebook or the yellow pages. You can't expect to just read the pages you like and ignore everything else and then wonder why suddenly there's a Bible verse you don't know!

Back