Book Of Quotes

My son who is autistic is brilliant in so many ways he understand God and life better then most for a 29 year old.A few weeks ago we were discussion the Bible and how people will pick and choose what scripture pieces allow them to act a certain way.
He does not talk much but its stuck with me know for several weeks. He said: The Bible is a Book of Books not quotes. Meaning you must understand the story
not just a page of it.
Makes me think of a couple of things: In the New Testament, Jesus emphasizes the importance of truly understanding and living by the spirit of God's teachings rather than just following the literal words or external appearances. This is reflected in several of his teachings:
  • The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7): In this passage, Jesus frequently contrasts the letter of the law with the spirit of the law. For example, in Matthew 5:21-22, Jesus says:
    "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment."
    Here, Jesus is teaching that it’s not enough to simply avoid murder (the literal law); one must also avoid harboring anger or hatred in their heart (the spirit of the law). Which is often harder then said. Which is why MHO we must understand what resentment and anger do to us. And how it clouds our choices.

• Matthew 23:23-24: Jesus criticizes the Pharisees and religious leaders for focusing on minor details of the law while neglecting its more important aspects:
    "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill, and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel."
    In this passage, Jesus is pointing out that following the letter of the law (tithing spices) is not sufficient if the weightier matters of justice, mercy, and faithfulness are ignored.

• Mark 7:6-8: Jesus quotes the prophet Isaiah to condemn the religious leaders who honor God with their words but not with their hearts:
    "He replied, 'Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written: "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules." You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.'"
    Jesus is emphasizing that it is not enough to simply follow religious rituals and traditions; what matters is the intention and authenticity of one’s faith and actions.
In summary, Jesus teaches that true righteousness comes from understanding and embodying the deeper principles behind God’s commandments, rather than just following the literal words or superficial practices. This theme runs throughout his teachings, where he calls for a transformation of the heart and mind to live in accordance with the spirit of God's will. My sons clarity on the Bible stuns me someone times. As he simplifies the complicated.

I think memorizing scripture is great, and I try and do that myself. But the key is to know what these mean in the same book.
What is the over all message we want from the book we are reading. I sure love my son and his perspective on life.

( Just discovered you can do tables here, very nice.)
And yes I am quoting quotes to make relevance to the discussion 😌

RWG

Back