Brainwashing - Deception - Ingnorance

The difference and the degree of severity within the three items named in this thread's title, they are very in-depth studies to say the least.

I was asked by a friend so expound upon brainwashing in the context of deception in particular, but decided to throw into the mix "ignorance."

The initial question asked about how " innocent" people can escape various manipulations by others who are trying to get the "innocent" to do things the perpetrators believe are right.

By "innocent," I assume this is a question about children who are falling victim to adults convincing them to acquiesce to procedures upon their young bodies that are likely damaging, and even irreversibly damaging in some cases. If this modern phenomenon isn't the aim of the question, this can serve as a prime example we are all seeing played out in the West.

Matthew 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Mark 9:42 And whosoever shall offend one of [these] little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

Luke 17:1-3
1 Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe [unto him], through whom they come!
2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

Let's bring into this another item of importance to note in relation to this topic. This addresses, as a promised remedy for those who are in a place of darkness and don't know how to escape:

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

Now, of particular interest to us in this is that when the deception is aimed at children, the Lord is particularly interested in the penalties for doing to them what is harmful and even sin in their lives. Those who play with this fire with cavalier indifference to the penalties, they stand in a place of judgement that is not at all an envious place to be by any stretch.

What about those who should know better, but don't because of "brainwashing" and "deception," both made more successful by way of "ignorance" due to youth or lack of critical thought on the part of an adult?

This world is filled with causes and effects. In the midst of it all is a Lord and God who sees it all down to the most minute details in the depths of all the hearts of those involved. He's also in total control, and so we have specific promises from the Lord about such things:

John 10:28-29
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand.
29 My Father, which gave [them] me, is greater than all; and no [man] is able to pluck [them] out of my Father's hand.

So, brainwashing most generally is a state of mind that most who find themselves under its sway come to the realization that they were there by their own free will. Some indeed can rest upon the blame of ignorance, such as little children. Adults, however, such as those brainwashed into a cult, are going to be held responsible by whatever degree the Lord so chooses on a case by case basis.

For example, as a 21 year old, I ALLOWED myself to be fooled into following after mormonism for a time before I finally put my critical thinking cap back on my head and started asking questions. I attribute all the glory and praise unto the Lord for His having delivered me from that, for as it is said in John 10, nobody could pluck me from His hand since I was and am His.

I can't say how the Lord will handle those who were abusively fooled and encouraged as children to allow things to be done to them that should never have ever been allowed. If they are innocent, then He will handle them accordingly. Having their childhood stolen from them with such wicked and evil indifference to the consequences, there's a special place in Hell for the perpetrators...workers of iniquity. (Ps. 5:5)

There is all manner of remedy for those who are brainwashed, based upon the Lord's promise to us all, as stated in 1 Corinthians 10.

Those who remain in the dark, well, many do so willingly and reject the Light that always shines from He who sits upon the Throne. He always offers a way out to those who seek Him. What if they don't seek Him, or don't even know to seek Him? Well, there again is a broad hypothetical that has many rabbit holes we could go down. Suffice it to say that the Lord, who knew every soul before the foundations of this world, will never allow to perish those who He has chosen for His purposes, and/or who possess qualities and criteria we cannot even begin to name by definition what we cannot see in others by our own eyes and understanding.

From that Temple in the Heavenlies comes lightning and thunderings of things beyond our understanding. Suffice it to say that none will perish whom the Lord desires to save. His Sovereignty is fully intact, and He has never said He will turn away anyone who reaches out to Him for deliverance and salvation.

Please feel free to comment, as questions, offer observations, etc.

MM

2 Samuel 22:29 For thou [art] my lamp, O LORD: and the LORD will lighten my darkness.

The questions to me about this also asked what happens to those who remain in the dark and can't find their way out.

What we need to consider when seeking a wholistic vantagepoint of an individual we may deem is in darkness is, how did they get there in the first place? If we surmise that it was by no fault of their own, the Lord is faithful and will always provide a way out. If they are there by their own design, then the Lord may leave them there for the duration of His own purposes; to use that situation to allow them to experience the "dark side" until they finally realize their need for Him, and thus cry out to Him for deliverance. I've been there, and know without a doubt the Lord is faithful in every way, and is therefore not worthy of our doubts.

In other words, no matter who is in darkness of deception, there is a saying I came to understand about it:

If the deceived knew they were deceived, then they would not be deceived any longer...except for those who willingly embrace that darkness.

If we know of someone who is in darkness of deception and ignorance, then we must first love them, and then our witness is more effective.

So, whatever happens to them in the end, at the Judgement, that alone rests in the Hands of the Most High. What we can do here is ask for His wisdom and His empowerment to reach that individual, or group of individuals.

When it comes to the question as to if they will be held responsible...yes. They and their deceivers will all stand before the King and give account for the choices they made in this life.

Remember...

Romans 1:18-22
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

So everyone, no matter where they are in life, even under deception, each one is ultimately responsible for the choices he or she makes in this life.

MM

That may seem harsh on the basis of the compassion we have for others, but, then, the Lord never promised life would be easy in this fallen world. Adam still had to "tend" the garden, even in his sinless state. Perhaps there was no sweat upon his brow at that time for doing so, but the toils of life were still very real for him.

MM

2 Samuel 22:29 For thou [art] my lamp, O LORD: and the LORD will lighten my darkness.

The questions to me about this also asked what happens to those who remain in the dark and can't find their way out.

What we need to consider when seeking a wholistic vantagepoint of an individual we may deem is in darkness is, how did they get there in the first place? If we surmise that it was by no fault of their own, the Lord is faithful and will always provide a way out. If they are there by their own design, then the Lord may leave them there for the duration of His own purposes; to use that situation to allow them to experience the "dark side" until they finally realize their need for Him, and thus cry out to Him for deliverance. I've been there, and know without a doubt the Lord is faithful in every way, and is therefore not worthy of our doubts.

In other words, no matter who is in darkness of deception, there is a saying I came to understand about it:

If the deceived knew they were deceived, then they would not be deceived any longer...except for those who willingly embrace that darkness.

If we know of someone who is in darkness of deception and ignorance, then we must first love them, and then our witness is more effective.

So, whatever happens to them in the end, at the Judgement, that alone rests in the Hands of the Most High. What we can do here is ask for His wisdom and His empowerment to reach that individual, or group of individuals.

When it comes to the question as to if they will be held responsible...yes. They and their deceivers will all stand before the King and give account for the choices they made in this life.

Remember...

Romans 1:18-22
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

So everyone, no matter where they are in life, even under deception, each one is ultimately responsible for the choices he or she makes in this life.

MM
I was just about to post those Scriptures from Romans and thought I should read the other post!

We live in a day when everybody seems to have their own excuse for why they are not submitting to the righteousness of God in Christ. Most people fail to realize that there are no acceptable excuses with God no matter how clever they may think they are.

Conscience - This is the built in smoke alarm that God plants within each person. It is the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one’s conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action: to follow the dictates of conscience. The conscience is the complex of ethical and moral principles that controls or inhibits the actions or thoughts of an individual. It is an inhibiting sense of what is prudent: I’d eat another piece of pie but my conscience would bother me. This conscience drives us to Christ for the cleansing from our sins and the imputation of His righteousness that comes through faith in the atonement offered to us in Christ Jesus.

Maybe that is why Paul told us in Romans 12:2..............
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

That may seem harsh on the basis of the compassion we have for others, but, then, the Lord never promised life would be easy in this fallen world. Adam still had to "tend" the garden, even in his sinless state. Perhaps there was no sweat upon his brow at that time for doing so, but the toils of life were still very real for him.

MM

Seems right to me. There will be a LOT of people standing in line on judgment day saying........"That is not fair"!

Luke 12:48

But he that knew not and committed things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes.
For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required; and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Seems right to me. There will be a LOT of people standing in line on judgment day saying........"That is not fair"!

Actually...no. I don't believe any one of them will say that who leave this life in a lost state. What we ARE told is that the religious will say, "Lord, lord..." They are the ones who will stand before Him thinking they were of the oil type that the seed would sprout and produce fruit, but in reality did not. The totally lost, however, seem to know that their judgement is just. Notice how the rich man never asked once to be delivered from torment, but rather that his brothers be warned that the place of torment is real and is awaiting them if they do not turn from their wicked ways.

Luke 16:24, 27-28
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. ...
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

MM

Actually...no. I don't believe any one of them will say that who leave this life in a lost state. What we ARE told is that the religious will say, "Lord, lord..." They are the ones who will stand before Him thinking they were of the oil type that the seed would sprout and produce fruit, but in reality did not. The totally lost, however, seem to know that their judgement is just. Notice how the rich man never asked once to be delivered from torment, but rather that his brothers be warned that the place of torment is real and is awaiting them if they do not turn from their wicked ways.

Luke 16:24, 27-28
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. ...
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

MM

Very true brother, however.......at the last day, when reality sinks in, IMHO, those waiting in line will be thinking...........
My good stuff is a lot more than my bad stuff! So, I will be OK !

In all my years of witnessing, the number 1 answer given when I asked why they thought they would go to heaven was..........
"I am a really good person!"

Very true brother, however.......at the last day, when reality sinks in, IMHO, those waiting in line will be thinking...........

In all my years of witnessing, the number 1 answer given when I asked why they thought they would go to heaven was..........

What I find troublesome, Major, in what you're saying is that your take on this seems to rest upon the assumption that we will basically possess the same level of knowledge as before the the point of death, and therefore think the same after the veil of our humanity drops away at the point of death. The rich man in Luke 16, who offered no complaint about his suffering other than his need for a drop of water, gives no indication of his assumptions of injustice. Is that what you're saying?

1 Corinthians 13:11-12
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Matthew 7:21-22
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Matthew 25:11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

Luke 13:25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:

All of this seems to give ample indication that the lost will simply be in acceptance of their fate that they sealed for themselves, and that only the purely religious who thought themselves 'good enough' by way of their works to enter Heaven will be surprised, and thus cry out to the Lord for the passage they thought they had earned for themselves.

Does that seem reasonable?

MM

That’s what I once thought.

But since I believe what Paul says that we are already seated with Christ in the heavenly places I now find I don’t have to do anything but believe I’m already there.

That’s what I once thought.

But since I believe what Paul says that we are already seated with Christ in the heavenly places I now find I don’t have to do anything but believe I’m already there.

You are correct. My comments are about those WHO did not accept Christ.

I have no idea about standing in line. Somewhere along the line I started thinking about the Judgment of the lost and somehow the idea came to me that they would be standing in line waiting to see the judge.

That would be hell to some degree. Watching, and seeing the people in front of you judged and waiting for the hammer to fall.

Back