Christ the Centre of the Bible.

CHRIST THE CENTRE OF THE BIBLE.

To have a correct view of God`s word, I believe, brings clarity to the study of the Eschatology & the Prophetic aspects.

Now when we read God`s word we often focus on what it meant to those when it was written, & what life lesson it can give us. While these aspects are important the reason God the Father wrote His word, was to reveal His beloved Son to us.

From Genesis – revealing Christ in prefiguration, through to the book of Revelation – revealing Christ as He is known in the heavenly realms – glorified & exalted, Christ is the centre.

As I go through each section of God`s word pointing out how Christ is the centre, you may like to not only read but also share your thought too.

God bless, Marilyn.

FORESHADOWING CHRIST

In the Mosaic section, (Gen. - Deut.) Christ is foreshadowed in a variety of ways - symbols, signs, sacrifices all help us to understand His character, functions & vocations.

Genesis - The Seed promised.
`And I will put enmity between you & the woman, & between your seed & her Seed;..`(Gen. 3: 15)

The Son beloved of the Father.
` And Abraham called the name of the place, The-Lord-will-provide;…`(Gen. 22: 14)

Exodus - The Passover Lamb.
`It is the Passover sacrifice of the Lord,…` (Ex. 12: 27)

Leviticus - The High Priest.
`And the priest, who is anointed & consecrated to minister as priest in his father`s place, shall make atonement, & put on the linen clothes, the holy garments;….` (Lev. 16: 32 & 33)

Numbers - The Great Leader. Greater than Moses. (Num. 11: 11 – 14)

Deuteronomy - The True Prophet.
`I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, & will put my words in his mouth, & he shall speak to them all that I command him,…` (Deut. 18: 18 – 22)

Now only a mind of infinite knowledge could foresee centuries beforehand, what type, sign, symbols & shadows were to represent the real substance – Christ.

There are many other symbols etc in the first 5 books, do you know any more?

Marilyn.

Appreciate this study, Marilyn.

We see in Exodus 16:4 a type the Lord applied to Himself as the
Bread of Life (Jhn 6:48-51):

'Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from
heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain
rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk
in my law, or no.'

Thank you all for your encouragement about this great topic. Good comment there Nanon as regards the foreshadowing of Christ as the Bread of Life. Daily we need to `feed` upon Him.

Now other examples of symbols, types & shadows of the Lord in the first 5 books are -

Shiloh, the sent one – an epithet of Christ. (implying a quality) peace.
`The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a law-giver from between his feet, until Shiloh comes; & to Him shall be the obedience of the people.` (Gen. 49: 10)

the smitten rock -
`Then Moses lifted his hand & struck the rock twice with his rod; & water came out abundantly, & the congregation & their animals drank.` (Num. 20: 11)
`And all drank the same spiritual drink, for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, & that Rock was Christ.` (1 Cor. 10: 4)

the serpent uplifted –
`Then the Lord said to Moses, "make a fiery serpent, & set it on a pole; & it shall be that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, shall live.` (Num. 21: 8)
` And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up.` (John 3: 14)

Marilyn.

Last edited:
THE TABERNACLE

`Let them make Me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them. According to all that I show you, that is, the pattern of the tabernacle, & the pattern of its furnishings, just so you shall make it.` (Ex. 25: 8 & 9)

`And the Word became flesh & tabernacled / dwelt among us, & we beheld His glory. (John 1: 14)

The tabernacle &its services represent the many ministries of the Lord. God gave to Moses, in the plan revealed, a set of signs, symbols & shadows which signify Christ & His ministry. I will mention just a few as this is a large topic.

THE ARK

The mercy seat – Christ came to represent the God of mercy.
The crown of gold – Christ`s sovereignty.
The rod that budded – Christ`s resurrection life.
The pot of manna – Christ the bread of life.
The tables of the covenant – Christ magnified the law & made it honorable.

The intricately woven veil – the characteristics of Christ in manifestation.
The aroma of incense – Christ`s character & precious name.
The blue robe – Christ`s priesthood.
The golden lampstand – Christ as the revealer of Truth.

Marilyn.

FORESEEING CHRIST

In the historical books (Joshua - Esther, 12 books) Christ is foreseen in different appearings - man like or angelic. These signify the dominion of Christ, His authority & administration.

Joshua saw a `man` - Prince of the host of the Lord. (Josh.5: 13 - 15)

Gideon saw Him as `the angel of the Lord.` (Judges 6:12)

David saw Him as the `angel of the Lord.` (1 Chron. 21: 16 - 18)

Solomon saw Him in a dream. ( 1 Kings 3: 5)

Isaiah saw Him on His Throne. (2 Chron. 26: 22 with Isa. 6:1)

Marilyn.

This is exactly how we should read the Bible; especially the Old Testament. We need to find Jesus because all Scriptures are about Him in some way. This is how we know Him and the legitimacy of the Word.

I can add another one.
In Daniel Jesus was standing with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace.
Daniel 3:25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

Jesus our protector when we refuse to bow and compromise His Word.

Oral Roberts said: "If you bow, you burn. If you don't bow, you can't burn!"

Hi Corne,

Pleased to meet you & welcome to this forum, as I see you are new. Thank you for your comments, & I`m glad that you also desire to know the Lord more through His word. Look for ward to more of your thoughts.

FOREKNOWING CHRIST

The Philosophic section, (Job - Song of Sol) deals with Hebrew wisdom.
Here we see there is a knowledge of Christ beforehand.

Christ is foreknown in redemption, mediation & salvation.
He is known to be the Saviour, the Shepherd, & the Sovereign Lord.

Job declares, `For I know that my redeemer liveth,...` (Job 19:25)

David writes, `The Lord is my shepherd.` (Ps. 23: 1)

Solomon writes, `I, wisdom,.... the Lord possessed me at the beginning..` (Proverbs 8 : 12 & 22)

`His banner over me is love.` (S. of Sol. 2 :4)

FORETELLING OF CHRIST

In the Prophetic section (Isa. - Mal. 17 Books) Christ is proclaimed. We are told of His names, titles, ministry, & of His sacrificial death, resurrection, & elevation to the right hand of God.

Names – Maker, husband. `For your maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is His name.` (Isa. 54: 5)

`His name shall be called Wonderful Counsellor.` (Isa. 9: 6)

Titles – Almighty God. `…like the voice of Almighty God when He speaks.` (Ez. 10: 5)

Prince. `…until Messiah the Prince,..` (Dan. 9: 25)

Ministry – Redeemer. `And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel.` (Isa. 54: 5)

Priest . `So He shall be a priest on His throne, …` (Zech. 6: 13)

Sacrificial Death – Lamb. `He was led as a lamb to the slaughter…` (Isa. 53: 7)

Resurrection & Elevation to the right Hand of the Father –

`For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given; & the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.` (Isa. 9: 6)

There are over 300 of the Lord`s titles, names, offices, vocations & functions, which go to make up the written word under the old covenant. If these truths were deleted from the Scriptures, we would have but a lifeless, meaningless framework.

In the wide range covered by the use of so many figures & symbols, types & shadows, we find that they all contribute some aspect of the physical beauty, moral glory & spiritual majesty Of the Lord.

CHRIST`S EARTHLY MINISTRY

MATTHEW Kinsman / King

MARK Heir / Servant

LUKE Mediator / Priest

JOHN Deity / Maker

The fourfold picture of Jesus Christ shows a complete view in miniature of His earthly manifestation & ministry.

MATTHEW shows Christ as the kinsman - king.
He is the `son of Abraham` & the `son of David.` (Matt. 1:1) (relatively)

MARK declares His Heirship.
Jesus Christ is the `Son of God,`(Mark 1:1) with legal authority. (legally)

LUKE presents the Mediatorship of the Son of Man.
He is touched with the feelings of our infirmities. (Luke 5: 13 etc) (morally)

JOHN pictures the Son of God / Deity & Maker.
He is omnipotent in both power & purpose. (John 1:3) (judicially)

We have read of Christ foreshadowed, foreseen, foreknown & foretold in all the Old Testament. Then we see Christ in His earthly manifestation in the gospels through four different aspects of His ministry.

Now, from Acts to Revelation, we read of the ascended, glorified, exalted Lord Jesus Christ, at the right hand of the Father. Here we read of His building & maturing the Body of Christ, plus dealing with Israel & the nations.

CHRIST IN HIS BODY.

THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES.

Under the Lord`s sovereign administration of the gospel in the power of the Spirit, each race receives salvation. Christ is Lord of all.

Ham - Ethiopian eunuch, (Acts 8; 26 - 40)
Shem - Paul of Tarsus (Acts 9: 1 -31)
Japheth - Cornelius the Roman centurion. (Acts 10:24 - 48)

The Ethiopian eunuch, who represents the race of Ham, receives salvation through believing the Word.
Saul of Tarsus, who represents the race of Shem, is intercepted on the way to Damascus & submits obediently to the Lord.
Cornelius, the Roman Centurion, who represents the race of Japheth, likewise responds to the message.

From Shem, Ham, & Japheth the seventy nations arose that are recorded in Genesis 10. Cornelius responded to Peter with spiritual insight, declaring, “He is Lord of All.` (Acts 10: 36)

There are 40 references to the Word in the book of Acts.
The four names – God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, appear over 380 times.

THE SUFFICIENCY OF CHRIST for Salvation, sanctification & justification. (Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians & Galatians)

ROMANS

The basic teaching in Romans is associated with the spiritual value of the brazen altar & its sacrifice. The security featured in the four horns of the altar, for those that are accursed, is fully expressed. (Rom. 8: 34)

The gospel is referred to thirteen times & is described as being the power of God. (Rom. 1: 16)
The sufficiency of the power of God to save, in Christ, is made known to all nations. (Rom. 1: 5, 16: 26)
Righteousness & life in Christ are gifts to faith. (Rom. 5: 17, 6: 23)

The first 8 chapters deal with His sovereign administration, every benefit is through Him.
The second 8 emphasize His supreme authority as Lord. (Rom. 13: 6 – 9)

The titles Lord, Jesus, Christ, & God appear over 300 times.

1 & 2 CORINTHIANS

The message to the Corinthian church picture Christ in His sufficiency for sanctification. (1 Cor. 1: 2, 6: 11) The teaching interprets the spiritual significance of the laver, (washing, cleansing).

We read of the four presentations of Christ –

• The cursed tree. (Deut. 21: 22 – 23; Gal. 3: 13)

• The pascal lamb. (Ex. 12: 3, 1 Cor. 5: 7)

• The smitten rock. (Ex. 17: 6, 1 Cor. 10: 4)

• The firstfruits. (Lev. 2: 12 – 14, 1 Cor. 15: 23)

The words `sufficient & sufficiency` are used 6 times, & we have a wonderful assurance, “Always having all sufficiency in all things.` (2 Cor. 9: 8) This amazing sufficiency in Christ, is inexpressible.

The word `abundance` is applied to comfort, grace, glory, power, wisdom etc & are all available in the precious Saviour.

Marilyn.

GALATIANS

The content of the letter to the churches of Galatia also speak of Christ`s sufficiency. And no room exists for any other supposed gospel. The sufficiency of the divine provision, making it possible for man to be justified in Christ, is absolute & final. (Gal. 2: 16 – 17, 3: 11 – 24)

The contents are based on the spiritual import of the lampstand, which implies revealed truth. Christ is the revealer.

A Redeemer was necessary who could

• implant the nature of sons (Gal. 4: 5)

• Impart the title of heirs (3: 29, 4: 7)

• Initiate relationships to the Father (4: 6)

• Bring into real liberty (5: 1, 13)

Christ alone is all – sufficient.

The titles God, Lord, Jesus, Christ, occur nearly 100 times in this short book.

Back