Christian Rock & Roll, Hip Hop (or Rap)

I just joined in this coversation and didn't read every reply. But to the subject of whether Christian rock/metal/punk or whatever other kind of musical style we are talking about is Christian....it is Christian if it glorifies God! We has humans can never know the hearts of the people in the band. Nor can we know the heart of the Sunday morning pastor! And if we judge people in that way, we will be sorry.

When I buy new music, I first look at the credits and see if the band, or band members, give thanks where thanks is due...to Jesus Christ for giving his life for us. Then I like to read the lyrics of a few songs. Sometimes, I will consider the lifestyle of the band. For example, As I Lay Dying is labelled a Christian band, but you would never know by their lifestyle! In fact, many of their fans don't even know they are a "Christian" band. That speaks volumes.

And lastly, don't forget that hymns were once considered "love songs of man" by the church. Today, they are universally accepted in church!

We would not judge a person's faith by how they dress, so why should they be judged by how they sound? So, to answer the question in a nutshell...first look for evidence of a Christian message in the lyrics and credits as made by the band members. Second, look for evidence of a Christian lifestyle in the band itself. Beyond that, I don't think anyone is able to determine whether a Christian band is Christian or not. It's between the band members and God. Just like your faith and mine are between God and ourselves.

We like what we like and don't like what we don't like; it's as simple as that. We all have our preferences. I grew up on the country music of the 50's and 60's. I was also crazy about Elvis. When I got saved, I switched to southern gospel. I can't tolerate rock or rap, but if it brings someone closer to God, who am I to criticize as long as I don't have to listen to it?

Back