Come on people. Come out of the woodwork.

justanothersinner

Account Closed
May 13, 2019
Australia
I haven't given up on this forum yet. But Im hoping it livens up soon. Blame me for my depressing threads. Actually I do have a light side. Ive been told Im hilarious sometimes. But I suspect they were just humouring me. :)
Im trying to think of a good Christian joke. By that I mean one that pokes fun at us in a nice way. maybe the too serious Christian/Pharisee. Wouldn't it be great to discover God/ Jesus had a good sense of humour. Im hoping Heaven has some humour. (that's assuming of course that I get there)
I like a comedian called Ricky Gervais. Now that might spark some controversy here. he is a vocal atheist. But There is a heart of Gold there in my view. He is deeply human. God works in mysterious ways. He captures the human condition so well. I think he has compassion for sinners that maybe some of us on our faith journey forget. If we become too proud, too glad of our progress.
We can start off like the Prodigal Son. The honeymoon period begins when we are welcomed back by the Father. But once we become "good" and well behaved , we might start to feel resentful and proud like the son who stayed home without straying. I had a honeymoon period reverting back to Christianity. But it was superficial. Like a marriage, my relationship needs to mature and we need courage and determination to maintain fidelity. Oops forgot grace. :)
there you go. have gotten all serious again.
Here's a joke....." I come from a very Christian family. My father was a priest and my mother a nun. " How is that? High level humour?

Reactions: Prycejosh1987

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2019
Miami, FL
I haven't given up on this forum yet. But Im hoping it livens up soon. Blame me for my depressing threads. Actually I do have a light side. Ive been told Im hilarious sometimes. But I suspect they were just humouring me. :)
Im trying to think of a good Christian joke. By that I mean one that pokes fun at us in a nice way. maybe the too serious Christian/Pharisee. Wouldn't it be great to discover God/ Jesus had a good sense of humour. Im hoping Heaven has some humour. (that's assuming of course that I get there)
I like a comedian called Ricky Gervais. Now that might spark some controversy here. he is a vocal atheist. But There is a heart of Gold there in my view. He is deeply human. God works in mysterious ways. He captures the human condition so well. I think he has compassion for sinners that maybe some of us on our faith journey forget. If we become too proud, too glad of our progress.
We can start off like the Prodigal Son. The honeymoon period begins when we are welcomed back by the Father. But once we become "good" and well behaved , we might start to feel resentful and proud like the son who stayed home without straying. I had a honeymoon period reverting back to Christianity. But it was superficial. Like a marriage, my relationship needs to mature and we need courage and determination to maintain fidelity. Oops forgot grace. :)
there you go. have gotten all serious again.
Here's a joke....." I come from a very Christian family. My father was a priest and my mother a nun. " How is that? High level humour?
I've been told that God is a big baseball fan. This is why the Bible starts off with "In the big inning..." (Think about that one for a while.)

rtm3039

Feb 5, 2013
Wharton NJ
I do believe Jesus had a good sense of humor. Not at the expense of others though. That is the big difference. Today we find humor at the expense of others. God never does that. I think heaven would be filled with joy and laughter. I don't know humor is a right term for that. It could be. After I had kids, I realized many things. I am sure heaven would be filled with laughter. So much laughter. Little children just keep laughing. You do anything, they laugh! They love humor, not at the expense of others. I think that's how heaven would be. Because Jesus compared kingdom of God to little children.

justanothersinner

Account Closed
May 13, 2019
Australia
I do believe Jesus had a good sense of humor. Not at the expense of others though. That is the big difference. Today we find humor at the expense of others. God never does that. I think heaven would be filled with joy and laughter. I don't know humor is a right term for that. It could be. After I had kids, I realized many things. I am sure heaven would be filled with laughter. So much laughter. Little children just keep laughing. You do anything, they laugh! They love humor, not at the expense of others. I think that's how heaven would be. Because Jesus compared kingdom of God to little children.
You make a very good point .And lets face it. All political humour is at the expense of others. In Heaven no politics.

Pastor Gary

Senior Moderator and Staff Trainer
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Staff Trainer
Oct 29, 2006
Several US locations - seasonally
One of my favorite humorous passages is in Daniel 5: Good old King Balshazzar was having a little get together for a thousand of his closest friends, and all of a sudden, fingers on a hand appeared in the room and wrote something on the wall. When the king saw only the hand and nothing else, in Verse 6 (KJV) we read, "6 Then the king's countenance was changed, and his thoughts troubled him, so that the joints of his loins were loosed, and his knees smote one against another. "

Taking the 17th century English words "his countenance was changed" back to the descriptor words in Hebrew, we see that the good old King was so startled that he soiled his shorts.

This is just one example of Biblical humor of the day that many persons overlook.

justanothersinner

Account Closed
May 13, 2019
Australia
One of my favorite humorous passages is in Daniel 5: Good old King Balshazzar was having a little get together for a thousand of his closest friends, and all of a sudden, fingers on a hand appeared in the room and wrote something on the wall. When the king saw only the hand and nothing else, in Verse 6 (KJV) we read, "6 Then the king's countenance was changed, and his thoughts troubled him, so that the joints of his loins were loosed, and his knees smote one against another. "

Taking the 17th century English words "his countenance was changed" back to the descriptor words in Hebrew, we see that the good old King was so startled that he soiled his shorts.

This is just one example of Biblical humor of the day that many persons overlook.

that's subtle humour isn't it. Im not used to expecting jokes so I would miss them for sure.

Pastor Gary

Staff member
Senior Moderator
Staff Trainer
Oct 29, 2006
Another example that is usually overlooked: Genesis 17 and 18 where Abraham and Sarah are promised a child in their very old age. Sarah overhears Abraham speaking outside the tent about the baby that she would have and says to herself (paraphrased) Genesis 18:12, 'So she laughed silently to herself and said, “How could a worn-out woman like me enjoy such pleasure, especially when my master—my husband—is also so old?” '

Abraham and Sarah are instructed to name the child 'Isaak' (or "he laughs" - roughly translated to English from the Hebrew descriptors.)

Humor, in many forms is contained, especially, in the Hebrew scriptures - as you read, you just have to think as if you were living in 350 BC to appreciate it... ;)

justanothersinner

Account Closed
May 13, 2019
Australia
Do you think Monty Python's Life of Brian was disrespectful? To be honest I did laugh in the Sermon on the Mount scene. "Im glad the meek are getting something. They've had such a hard time."
Also "blessed are the cheesemakers".
Its not every Christian;s cup of tea I admit.

Pastor Gary

Staff member
Senior Moderator
Staff Trainer
Oct 29, 2006
I do not watch movies - just no time to do so. I am not familiar with the one that you mentioned.

Let's see if anyone else, who has seen it, has an opinion on that...

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Feb 15, 2010
Daly City, California
www.livingstoneministries.com

Hello justanothersinner;

First impressions in a new gathering, environment, new job, new community, etc...is an opportunity to serve Christ first by giving of ourselves. Jesus was the master at relating to others by giving of Himself.

When a local gas station first opened for business I started supporting them by purchasing gas for my car. I learned very quickly that the owner and his cashiers were very serious, yikes! Too serious. Their belief is Muslim and when they saw my cross hanging around my neck, and church jacket (name and cross on the left side) they made comments about Jesus being just a man, but not the Son of God. I listened and began praying daily for these men.

The beginning of each week I would go to their gas station very early in the morning and they would have the Adhane Prayer Call on their speakers. I made a comment how beautiful the singing sounded. This caught their attention and they explained it wasn't singing, but praying. I give God the glory because it seemed they appreciated my comment made about their prayer call. God had opened a door for me to establish a common ground with these men.

The more I stopped by each week, the more we started having conversations about other topics including their Islamic faith. We had developed a common ground because I listened to their conversations and faith, with respect. After a time I felt comfortable sharing my faith. They knew I am a Christian and they started to respect why I believe in Jesus and when I quoted John 14:6, I shared with them about the Way, the Truth and the Life.

Jesus' example of establishing a common ground is with the Samaritan woman in John 4. When the woman came to draw water, Jesus asked her, "will you give me a drink?" I guess He could have approached her with, "you're a horrible sinner! Do you know who I am?" Instead, He approached her with Love for the Father and accepted her as a human being, an example of giving of Himself personified.

Today it's been 4 years since I first met these men and have developed a common ground, respect and allowing them to share their views in these times. They let down their guard since the first time I met them and now they are joking and laughing with me every time I come by to purchase gas.

justanothersinner, it seems you are a good witness of one who steps out of the box to initiate a conversation, tell your story and share your faith. This encourages me. Thank you for sharing your thread, Come on people. Come out of the woodwork.

God bless you and your family, brother.

Hello Ravindran;

Your post is a blessing. Thank you for sharing about your wonderful children! Its great when God graces children with happiness, joy and laughter and I agree with you. Children can be easily impressed with humor at the expense of others. God entrusts us as parental stewards and adults to be very careful in setting a Godly example with children.

Its always good to read your posts. I have a question. Have you ever considered working in Silicon Valley with your background?

Reactions: Ravindran
Feb 5, 2013
Wharton NJ
Hello justanothersinner;

First impressions in a new gathering, environment, new job, new community, etc...is an opportunity to serve Christ first by giving of ourselves. Jesus was the master at relating to others by giving of Himself.

When a local gas station first opened for business I started supporting them by purchasing gas for my car. I learned very quickly that the owner and his cashiers were very serious, yikes! Too serious. Their belief is Muslim and when they saw my cross hanging around my neck, and church jacket (name and cross on the left side) they made comments about Jesus being just a man, but not the Son of God. I listened and began praying daily for these men.

The beginning of each week I would go to their gas station very early in the morning and they would have the Adhane Prayer Call on their speakers. I made a comment how beautiful the singing sounded. This caught their attention and they explained it wasn't singing, but praying. I give God the glory because it seemed they appreciated my comment made about their prayer call. God had opened a door for me to establish a common ground with these men.

The more I stopped by each week, the more we started having conversations about other topics including their Islamic faith. We had developed a common ground because I listened to their conversations and faith, with respect. After a time I felt comfortable sharing my faith. They knew I am a Christian and they started to respect why I believe in Jesus and when I quoted John 14:6, I shared with them about the Way, the Truth and the Life.

Jesus' example of establishing a common ground is with the Samaritan woman in John 4. When the woman came to draw water, Jesus asked her, "will you give me a drink?" I guess He could have approached her with, "you're a horrible sinner! Do you know who I am?" Instead, He approached her with Love for the Father and accepted her as a human being, an example of giving of Himself personified.

Today it's been 4 years since I first met these men and have developed a common ground, respect and allowing them to share their views in these times. They let down their guard since the first time I met them and now they are joking and laughing with me every time I come by to purchase gas.

justanothersinner, it seems you are a good witness of one who steps out of the box to initiate a conversation, tell your story and share your faith. This encourages me. Thank you for sharing your thread, Come on people. Come out of the woodwork.

Hello Ravindran;

Your post is a blessing. Thank you for sharing about your wonderful children! Its great when God graces children with happiness, joy and laughter and I agree with you. Children can be easily impressed with humor at the expense of others. God entrusts us as parental stewards and adults to be very careful in setting a Godly example with children.

Its always good to read your posts. I have a question. Have you ever considered working in Silicon Valley with your background?

Thank you so much for your kind words! I work in IT, but in Pharma industry. I am not very technical, more into business relationship management. There are so many Pharma companies in NJ. So I am stuck here I guess!!

Feb 5, 2013
Wharton NJ
One incident that always brings a smile to my face. Aaron and golden calf. It is like a little kid giving explanation! I don't know how it happened! I just threw the gold in and look what came out :)

22 “Don’t get so upset, my lord,” Aaron replied. “You yourself know how evil these people are. 23 They said to me, ‘Make us gods who will lead us. We don’t know what happened to this fellow Moses, who brought us here from the land of Egypt.’ 24 So I told them, ‘Whoever has gold jewelry, take it off.’ When they brought it to me, I simply threw it into the fire—and out came this calf!”