Communion/Eucharist/Lord's Supper.

Do you take communion away from regular Church?

• Never

• Only occasionally

• Often but only when home alone

• Often when visiting the sick

• Sometimes at home Bible study group meetings

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am not sure if we can say we 'must' not do it alone / away from church. But the example set was with disciples.

Jesus did not leave us with the television. He left us with this instruction, the Holy Spirit, 11 disciples and Paul. Paul left all churches with qualified elders. Making disciples is not only telling people about Jesus.

If "regular Church" means my regular parish, then the answer to that would be yes. I have gone up for communion at many different churches.

However, if "regular Church" is to mean a church of a different denomination or whathaveyou, then the answer to that would be never.

Although that isn't to mean I always go up to receive communion, even at my own parish. If I know I am not in a state of grace, then I remain kneeling and pray during that time until I go to confession and reunite with God.

If you're asking if we ever receive communion outside of church altogether (meaning maybe at home or something) then that's something I could never do unless it was consecrated and only if perhaps I was too frail and sick for a long period of time that I'd be unable to even go to Mass. When that happens (like for the elderly or seriously ill in hospitals), priests or Extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist will show up to offer communion. But that's only in very specific circumstances.

Although communion for some Christians is extremely different for others, and for obvious reasons.

All the time at home - seeing I don't go to a physical building. We get matza bread and red wine, read and share about the Crucifixion and what God did for us and what it means by taking the communion and that we are to commune with Him. It's very interesting that the matza has to be made the way the rabbi's say: it must be baked and must have a slightly burnt aspect (marred) to it, no yeast (no yeast no life), and must be pierced.

13-matzo-blog480.jpg

Christian translation that they cannot understand: Jesus was put under the flames of judgment, physically marred, the Bread of Life died (no yeast, aka life - and why it's called the Feast of Unleavened Bread), and He was pierced for our iniquity.

I have read regular church as my own church. I don't mind going in another church. I would love to do it with the bible study group I'm in. But thats not a thing allowed in the church were I am going. If my children are going to ask for it, I will do it at home if they are not yet allowed to do it in church. I do believe its not a only church thing to do. In my opinion its good to do it in church but also in small groups. We are forgetting that it was a happening during a meal. So why not sit at home with your family and do it every day?

Whenever i take communion anymore it is at home, as i do not belong to a congregation within a building. Sometimes i am by myself and sometimes we take communion together. To me the most important part is to remember what Jesus' body and Blood promise, and even the fact that it is His power that is doing the works. It's being engrafted into the vine, and God is my strength and my life. God is my source of everything that i have, and His power is the reason why i am successful in this life and my walk with Him.

All the time at home - seeing I don't go to a physical building. We get matza bread and red wine, read and share about the Crucifixion and what God did for us and what it means by taking the communion and that we are to commune with Him. It's very interesting that the matza has to be made the way the rabbi's say: it must be baked and must have a slightly burnt aspect (marred) to it, no yeast (no yeast no life), and must be pierced.

13-matzo-blog480.jpg

Christian translation that they cannot understand: Jesus was put under the flames of judgment, physically marred, the Bread of Life died (no yeast, aka life - and why it's called the Feast of Unleavened Bread), and He was pierced for our iniquity.

Taking a meal or communion is awesome especially when you need wisdom or direction or facing a dificult situation. It is awesome when you have symptoms of something trying to take hold of you. I have found that taking a meal or communion over the tithe before placing it in His house is also so very wonderful and blessed.
Now to just sit down and take a meal or communion just because you love Him is thee most wonderful blessed time you could imagine.

I like to take His word with me, His promises over the situation, reminding Him of the covenant we have between us. This has proven to be vitally important and wonderful.
So I say take a meal 24/7/365 How could you ever go wrong ?

I have taken communion at events and gatherings of believers, but mostly, it has been at church. Even when it is at a church, it is still the Lord's table and not that of the church offering it.

Most of the churches I have attended offer communion about once a month, plus a few times around special events. One church also offered communion served by a decon between services on the weeks that communion was not part of the main services.

When I was in the military, the closest off post church had foot-washing as well as communion.

Communion played a special part in my coming to know the Lord. When I was in high school, before I came to a personal knowledge of Christ, I was a member of the youth fellowship group at a friend's church. We went to a function at a neighboring church where the paster offered communion. He asked if there were any that could not say they had become believing Christians. At that time I was truly searching to determine what I believed. I had great respect for those who had made their decision and did not want to be a hipocrit. It took some courage, but I respectfully raised my hand and admitted that I had not come to that belief. The pasted asked me to go up with the rest of the group but when my turn came he pronounced a blessing rather than offering me the sacrement.

This had a very large effect on me. I had been searching my thoughts and this caused me to examine my heart more closely and crystalize my views. This was a significant part of the Lofd preparing my heart. As it turned out, I soon became involved at a Lunchtime Bible study, and finally accepted the Lord through the witness of a strong Christian family from a completely different church.
After I accepted Christ, I could see how He prepared me and I was glad that I took the concept of communion seriously even before I knew the meaning behind it.

I cant handle wine so I drink grape juice. For that reason I cant really go to an anglican church as they serve port, I think it is.
Usually with crackers at home. I dont know why many churches just have cup of tea and biscuit every week but the Lords supper only once a month.

I have yet to find a church that serves the Lords supper like in Jesus day although did go to a passover dinner last year. Though it doesnt matter if they dont do it quite right as the most important thing is remembering Jesus every time we eat and drink.

When that happens (like for the elderly or seriously ill in hospitals), priests or Extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist will show up to offer communion
Thank you for your reply.
I must confess that I completely overlooked the RC position on the Eucharist when I framed the questions. You seem to be well versed both in the Scriptures and RC litergy etc, could you yourself be appointed as an Extraordinary minister, or do you not wish it?
Just wondering.

I cant handle wine so I drink grape juice. For that reason I cant really go to an anglican church as they serve port, I think it is.
Usually with crackers at home. I dont know why many churches just have cup of tea and biscuit every week but the Lords supper only once a month.

I have yet to find a church that serves the Lords supper like in Jesus day although did go to a passover dinner last year. Though it doesnt matter if they dont do it quite right as the most important thing is remembering Jesus every time we eat and drink.
Hi Lanolin.
Yes, mostly Anglican Churches use Port which is a 'fortified wine'. The local Anglican Church here does not use any alcoholic wine what so ever. The reason being that the minister wants the Church to be a safe place for all people including those who are recovering alcoholics.
Personally my preference is for new wine or 'must' (but not ribena). The wine is representing His blood which was poured out as a new covenant, so I think grape juice, unfermented muscat etc would qualify as new wine in keeping with the new covenant....but that is me.

Thank you for your reply.
I must confess that I completely overlooked the RC position on the Eucharist when I framed the questions. You seem to be well versed both in the Scriptures and RC litergy etc, could you yourself be appointed as an Extraordinary minister, or do you not wish it?
Just wondering.

Thanks, Calvin -- that's very kind of you.
I wish not to be. Sadly, I think this position has been applied a bit carelessly and I blame a lot of the bishops. Communion is still officially taught to be taken VERY, very seriously with reverence. There is a bit of controversy and divide on things like alter boys now also being girls, receiving the Eucharist in the hand, and offering communion to elected officials who publicly promote things like abortion despite what the we believe God teaches us through the Church. My own archbishop, I'm very disappointed with because he continues to offer communion to folks like Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden when they attend Mass here in the district. I remember seeing Pelosi go up for communion, and while I'm guilty for having my mind on that rather on Christ, Cardinal Donald Wuerl should have withheld communion from her until she publicly reversed her position on abortion (Canon 915).

Reception in the hand is kind of a dividing line between many Catholics since many go up and hold their hands out -- while that in itself isn't the sin, it has opened up for a lot of sacrilege like dropping it or stealing it which happens. While I know a lot of Christians disagree with Catholics regarding the actual presence of Christ through the Host, pretend for a moment that you agree with it...wouldn't you also be disturbed by people mistreating the Eucharist as if it was a piece of candy rather than recognizing it is Christ completely? This is why the preferred method is to receive on the tongue, because we recognize that we're unworthy of Christ and want to show our adoration for Him. And more so, it's especially encouraged officially that we kneel when receiving communion, which used to be pretty common until about the 60s or 70s (and why wouldn't we kneel before Our Lord?). However, even many priests have embarrassed faithful Christians who kneel by telling them to get up and "receive like everyone else." It has happened to me.

Extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist are really supposed to be in cases of emergency. It's not uncommon to go to a local Catholic parish and when it's time for holy communion, seeing 5, 7, 12 people swarm up to offer communion. This is dangerous because is also downplays the role of the priest and, even worse, treats Christ through the host like a mere piece of bread (sometimes anyway). And again, I know that many other Christians do regard it as bread but a symbol, for Catholics, they aren't supposed to. Many dissident Catholics, if you ask them about the Eucharist, they will say it's really nothing and just by believing that, they can't be counted as true and faithful Catholics. Part of this reason is because of the mistreatment and downplaying of Communion. A lot of devoted bishops and theologians have spoken out about this for awhile, warning other bishops to be careful about their dioceses and to keep an eye out for this. Sadly, too many bishops don't.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry for the rant :p I could actually go on about my anger with certain bishops, priests, nuns, etc. They are supposed to be servants leading people to God for the sake of their souls, but a lot of them have done nothing but caused confusion.

Last edited:
Yes, I was confused about the whole wine thing.
I know jesus turned water into wine. But all the stuff thats labelled wine here has alcohol in it, and tastes horrible, plus ppl get drunk...why would Jesus want ppl to get drunk? If i have wine, my body cant handle it and i have headache even with a few sips.

I think maybe the difference is new wine and old wine, old wine is basically rotten grape juice. My town is actually founded on settlers making wine, cos the eastern europeans were orthodox, or was it catholic..and used wine in their mass. Or were big drinkers. There is a drinking culture in my country, but its usually beer.

Ribena has waaaay to much sugar in it.
You can really only buy one decent brand of grape juice here, everything else is from australia, concentrated stuff, or we import table grapes that have been sprayed to death from california, cos all other grape production goes into making fermented wine, as the only stuff that sells and gets exported is alcohol. Is yeast the toxic leaven of the pharisees? In both bread and wine?

Was Jesus talking about putting new wine in new wineskins, not old?

I remember seeing Pelosi go up for communion, and while I'm guilty for having my mind on that rather on Christ, Cardinal Donald Wuerl should have withheld communion from her until she publicly reversed her position on abortion (Canon 915).

I shall be honest I don't really know the Catholic church and I certain don't know Pelosi. But isn't all who receiving communion a sinner? Or has it more to do because the churches position towards abortion?

Many dissident Catholics, if you ask them about the Eucharist, they will say it's really nothing and just by believing that, they can't be counted as true and faithful Catholics.

Is the bread being Christ the core of Catholicism? Can't you being a catholic without believing in the catholic Eucharist?
Maybe this is a sidestep from the OP, but I find it very interesting because as a protestant we have so much differences but our centre, Jesus Christ, is the same.

I know when I first became christian, I wondered about this whole wine thing...because the holy spirit does not want me to be drunk on evil spirits. I had been drunk once or twice before and it was HORRIBLE. Very toxic to my body..and evryone elses.
Theres many ppl who use scriptures to justify drinking alcoholic wine, but it doesnt wash with me.
I know Jesus was pure. He didnt use leaven or anything..or if he did it was baking soda which does not go off. Jesus rose from the dead he didnt lie down and get drunk.

Btw I loved Ribena when was young, would drink it all the time, but..found out it had no vitamins cos of all that sugar. I dont drink it anymore.

I dont know bout catholicism...I kind of stay away from it as far too religious for me. But I did hear they worship the wafer and believe Jesus is literally becomes it, cos had friends who were former catholics who said they beleived that. Like if they dropped it on the floor, it was sacrilege, and if they spilt the wine, it was like bleeding Jesus. Sorry but that is weird. And if it wasnt blessed by an official priest from their church, it wasnt really allowed to be eaten. Also...people outside the catholic church were seen as foreigners. And you couldnt marry them if you were catholic, even if they were christian, you had to convert them to the 'mother church'. And all sorts of strange stuff like that. So I stay away.

One time a friend invited me to her catholic church, for mass and was going to go, just to see what it was all about, but got there late and I think it was God delaying me and saying I didnt have to go. I dont think can fellowship there, please no offence to any practising catholics here, but dont think God wanted me in the catholic church. Or anglican. Maybe cos of the wine.

I shall be honest I don't really know the Catholic church and I certain don't know Pelosi. But isn't all who receiving communion a sinner? Or has it more to do because the churches position towards abortion?

That is a great question to ask because of course the answer is that we are all sinners. In fact, because we are sinners is why we receive the Eucharist -- we need Christ. However, the Church recognizes venial sin from mortal sin. Mortal sin could be fornication (adultery/masturbation/etc.), worship toward something or someone else, and of course abortion (whether it be committing it, performing it, or promoting it).

The Catholic teaching is that anyone who has committed any kind of mortal sin must first go to confession before receiving communion. He has to reunite with God through reconciliation before uniting with Him through the Eucharist.

However, with Catholics like politicians, they are held to a standard of promoting the faith and having integrity (just like anyone), but because they initiate public access, if they do something publicly against the faith, they have to publicly re-address. Clergy are also held to this standard. This is why it's easier for a politician or some sort of public figure to be excommunicated than someone who is not in the public sphere.

Is the bread being Christ the core of Catholicism? Can't you being a catholic without believing in the catholic Eucharist?
Maybe this is a sidestep from the OP, but I find it very interesting because as a protestant we have so much differences but our centre, Jesus Christ, is the same.

Technically, the answer to that is no. There are tons of Catholics in a theological sense (meaning they have been baptized and confirmed into the Church), but they themselves don't practice the faith, so they aren't Catholic in a faithful sense. Dogmatically speaking, the Eucharist is considered to be the Blessed Sacrament because all of the other sacraments surround this one. This is the one sacrament that actually is receiving Christ literally. So this one sacrament, I'd argue, is especially the one any given Catholic must accept as true. If they don't, all the others fall apart and they've just disbanded dogmatic belief.

You're right that Catholics and Protestants have much more in common than differ. This is why one of the things I take joy in is talking with my Protestant friends, and also trying to get my fellow-Catholics to have involvement with since so many of them misunderstand Protestants, just as so many Protestants misunderstand Catholics. I was a Protestant growing up so I do my best to recognize and understand where they come from. As a Catholic today, I hope more Catholics would take a note from Protestants and fall in love with Scripture -- we were always meant to.

I dont know bout catholicism...I kind of stay away from it as far too religious for me. But I did hear they worship the wafer and believe Jesus is literally becomes it, cos had friends who were former catholics who said they beleived that. Like if they dropped it on the floor, it was sacrilege, and if they spilt the wine, it was like bleeding Jesus. Sorry but that is weird. And if it wasnt blessed by an official priest from their church, it wasnt really allowed to be eaten. Also...people outside the catholic church were seen as foreigners. And you couldnt marry them if you were catholic, even if they were christian, you had to convert them to the 'mother church'. And all sorts of strange stuff like that. So I stay away.

One time a friend invited me to her catholic church, for mass and was going to go, just to see what it was all about, but got there late and I think it was God delaying me and saying I didnt have to go. I dont think can fellowship there, please no offence to any practising catholics here, but dont think God wanted me in the catholic church. Or anglican. Maybe cos of the wine.

Well, I didn't intend for this to turn into a Catholic vs. Protestant discussion, and I'd like to keep that out of the mix. Of course you are more than welcome to talk in private about this. I have a ton to say about why Catholics regard the Eucharist the way we do and where this comes from. Your call of course.

Though what do you mean the wine?

New wine vs old.
I prefer new wine..which is fresh grapes, not fermented.
Anglican serve port as their wine in communion services and I cant handle it, its very sour to me and got alcohol in it. Gives me a headache. I dont know what catholics serve, but if it is alcohol I cannot partake.

Back