Coronavirus Pandemic, why does God allow it.

I think we can't know "why" because God's plan is beyond our comprehension.
I agree that we can't know why for sure, but I think we can take an educated guess. I never paid much attention to the book of Zechariah until 2 weeks ago. There's a partial verse in ch.11 that made me sit up, read much slower, and I'm still wondering if what Zechariah said back then has a special meaning for us today, with this virus. I think so but it's nothing we don't already know. Basically Zechariah was telling the people of his time that if they obeyed the Mosaic Law and behaved as good Jews that then the Messiah would come sooner and things would go better for the 2nd Temple Israel. So when I apply that to us I get that if we'd all behave as righteously as possible that then this virus would harm less people and the quicker we'll be rid of it. But I already thought that was true. For me, reading Zechariah was conformation of what I already thought.

If you read the Old Testament, and reflect on history since the resurrection you should be able to see that the spiritual life of God's people was (and is still) enhanced during times of greatest trial. I expect that there are more things the god is doing, but I know that for many, this 'forced' withdrawal form everyday life has afforded an unprecedented opportunity for meditation on the spiritual side of things.

While no-one should say that the Lord is unmoved by the suffering of those that become sick and even die, the physical comfort and ease of God's people is less important than the spiritual closeness of those people to Him.

On a personal note, one thing that I found out a few years ago when I had a personal battle with health issues was that I emerged from the ordeal with a closer walk and heightened awareness of the Lord. I still carry the reminders of that time, and although I will always have issues, I now look at that time as one of the greatest blessings that the Lord has bestowed for my benefit.

If you read the Old Testament, and reflect on history since the resurrection you should be able to see that the spiritual life of God's people was (and is still) enhanced during times of greatest trial. I expect that there are more things the god is doing, but I know that for many, this 'forced' withdrawal form everyday life has afforded an unprecedented opportunity for meditation on the spiritual side of things.

While no-one should say that the Lord is unmoved by the suffering of those that become sick and even die, the physical comfort and ease of God's people is less important than the spiritual closeness of those people to Him.

On a personal note, one thing that I found out a few years ago when I had a personal battle with health issues was that I emerged from the ordeal with a closer walk and heightened awareness of the Lord. I still carry the reminders of that time, and although I will always have issues, I now look at that time as one of the greatest blessings that the Lord has bestowed for my benefit.

Sometimes, we have to be laid out flat of our back so that we will look UP and talk with God.

I agree that we can't know why for sure, but I think we can take an educated guess. I never paid much attention to the book of Zechariah until 2 weeks ago. There's a partial verse in ch.11 that made me sit up, read much slower, and I'm still wondering if what Zechariah said back then has a special meaning for us today, with this virus. I think so but it's nothing we don't already know. Basically Zechariah was telling the people of his time that if they obeyed the Mosaic Law and behaved as good Jews that then the Messiah would come sooner and things would go better for the 2nd Temple Israel. So when I apply that to us I get that if we'd all behave as righteously as possible that then this virus would harm less people and the quicker we'll be rid of it. But I already thought that was true. For me, reading Zechariah was conformation of what I already thought.

I wish that was true with all of my heart. However, my observations of people over the years is that they worship and love God until the CRISIS IS OVER,
then it is life back to doing what they want to do until the next crisis comes along!

I remember vividly the Sunday right after the 9-11 attacks in New York. For the next two Sundays the church was packed with people. But as it became clear that we were not in any danger anymore.......it was right back to normal living.

It was the enslavement of the people of Israel by Egypt (forgetting that Joseph led them thru famine) that led to separating the people of God into their own nation and to the receiving of the Law.

It was the battling with the Amalekites and Philistines (and other tribes) that built the strength of the nation of Israel,

It was the Babylonian captivity that produced Jeremiah and Daniel.

In recent times, it was World War 2 that against probability brought the scattered people of Israel back to form a modern nation in fulfillment of the 1st half of Ezekiel’s vision of dry bones.

In this scheme of things, I do not believe that the pandemic amounts to as great of an event, though many are personally and corporately troubled, some very grievously. But the Lord is doing things in the hearts of his people.

This can result in revival, at least at a personal level, but I do not see it as reaching non-believers. The best that I can foresee in my limited way is that believers that have personally renewed their trust in the Lord can be His witnesses to those that do not believe, or whose commitment is waning.

I think we can't know "why" because God's plan is beyond our comprehension.

I do agree with this statement. Ultimately there are things that are very hard to know, but we can know to trust God Yahweh and His Son Jesus.

Otherwise, my opinion is that somehow everyone and everything has free will. In Mark 11:12:14 Jesus curses a fig tree:
12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.

The above verses about the fig tree is why I believe that everything somehow has free will.

There is a very interesting Christian philosopher who found its way into my Facebook and has been greatly responsible for me becoming a Christian( I am still to be baptised). His name is Frank Turek. He also has YouTube videos and he tries to give those answers that people ask about why, who, how.

Thanks

It was the enslavement of the people of Israel by Egypt (forgetting that Joseph led them thru famine) that led to separating the people of God into their own nation and to the receiving of the Law.

It was the battling with the Amalekites and Philistines (and other tribes) that built the strength of the nation of Israel,

It was the Babylonian captivity that produced Jeremiah and Daniel.

In recent times, it was World War 2 that against probability brought the scattered people of Israel back to form a modern nation in fulfillment of the 1st half of Ezekiel’s vision of dry bones.

In this scheme of things, I do not believe that the pandemic amounts to as great of an event, though many are personally and corporately troubled, some very grievously. But the Lord is doing things in the hearts of his people.

This can result in revival, at least at a personal level, but I do not see it as reaching non-believers. The best that I can foresee in my limited way is that believers that have personally renewed their trust in the Lord can be His witnesses to those that do not believe, or whose commitment is waning.

Agreed. Iron sharpens Iron.

It was once said by someone whose name I can not remember that...……..

WW1 prepared the land for the Jews.
WW2 prepared the Jews for the land.

At the time of WW2, I wonder how many people actually knew that that was the plan of God.

Now.....why have so many people died in war over the years??? I DO NOT KNOW.

My advice for that question would be found in Deut. 29:29........
“The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law."

hmm not sure whats happening in Jerusalem at the moment with this pandemic.
Does anyone really know?

I'm thinking people living there are so used to lockdowns and restrictions that it's just another thing.

Back