Dance/Music Issue

Dance/Music Issue

Hi everyone.

Hope y'all are having a good week. I have a question. Would someone PLEASE tell me why dancing is seen in such a bad light that it's even forbidden in some churches?

My church is ok with dancing and offers a weekly Zumba class (aerobics mixed with latin dance moves) and the instructor draws a line for moves or music that are too sexy. I got certified in Zumba so I could teach a second class at church & I'm currently working on the moves for my first CD. Like my instructor I also believe in leaving out anything that might be too sexy, but it must be noted that moving your hips and waist are legit dance moves which in Zumba also help lose weight. There's this rythm I want to include called reggeaton, unfortunately all the popular songs speak of pretty nasty/stupid things but after TONS of searching I finally found a Christian reaggeaton song which I loved. Just recently I saw a YouTube video of some girls dancing to the same song and it got A LOT of negative criticism - that's the reason why I'm asking this question.

I consider their dancing mild and I would take out a few of their moves, but the bottom line is that I don't understand how come it's not possible for people to dance to a certain type of music that talks about and worships God, without someone trying to make us feel dirty about it.

Everyone has a different idea on this subject. Personally I see nothing wrong with it as long as it is done tastefully . Others may have a different idea on this and that is okay. It cannot be denied that if one is disposed to lust that close contact with the opposite sex can stir up trouble.
So for me it is okay if it is done respectfully but for those who do not like it I respect their opinion and would not purposefully offend them with my liberty.

I know in the word of God, David danced before the Lord. Psalm 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

My daughter has been given an anointed gift to dance before the Lord. It is part sign language and part interpretive dance. It is not sexual, and she is always dressed modestly. Most who have watched her, say they truly know it is of the Lord, that she is anointed to worship him in dance. And it is for the Lord and not for people. But, it also should encourage others to worship him!

But, I have seen others, and it could be considered sexual and as Bo said, some people may deal with a spirit of lust and take the dancing the wrong way.

I think dancing is very nice in a servance (is it spelled right?) for God, but I really understand people who dislike it. Personally I do not like dances, I used to get frustrated by people who always wanted to dance, because I just don't like dancing. But I really like music, and I want to prAise God with my guitar and vocals. I understand when people want to praise with their dance, but I also understand people who dislike it.

It isn't wrong to dance for God, David did dance for God. But sometimes people dislike it, or it is to "sexy".

The bad light is caused by the sexy dances and the people who dislike dancing.

Yes, I was going to say "Dance like David did!" but seems like people have already said that;) There's an amazing song that talks about that. If you like Holy Hip Hop, theres a song called "Get Happy" by Mynista. It has really deep lyrics. I tried looking them up but the artist is too obscure to find the lyrics for. You can listen to it for free though.:)

Kind of like Mellow said, I think it's fine as long as it's for God's glory.

I see nothing wrong with dancing, and I haven't seen anything in the Bible that says that it's a sin. The only kind of dancing I would have a problem with is sexually charged dancing with a couple grinding against each other in a sexual manner--unless they're married (to each other of course). Still, I don't think such dancing should be done in public.

I keep thinking about that song 'Lord of the Dance' from back in the seventies (?)
Anyone remember that one? I like the image of dancing used here, but not sure if there's a scriptural basis to it.

'I danced in the morning when the world was young
I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun
I came down from heaven and I danced on the earth
At Bethlehem I had my birth

Dance, dance, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the dance, said he
And I lead you all, wherever you may be
And I lead you all in the dance, said he

I danced for the scribes and the Pharisees
They wouldn't dance, they wouldn't follow me
I danced for the fishermen James and John
They came with me so the dance went on ...' etc

I think dancing can be very beautiful as a means of expression of joy or worship. There are some charming folkdances that are danced by single or mixed sexes too.
I think it's all about the motives of the dancers. It can be a form of fellowship with our brothers and sisters or a source of temptation.

Unfortunately, there are many people in the Body of Christ who want to live under the law and define their Christian life by a series of "thou shalt not"s. Jesus freed us from the law, and He didn't do it so that He could set up a bunch of our own laws to replace His. Our standard now is not an external law, but the internal leading of the Spirit: Does this honor God? Will someone else be led astray by this action?

Personally, I love to dance, whether in worship or just for recreation.

blessings,

Lynn

Back