Dangerous Assumptions

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Dangerous Assumptions
"For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end."
—Hebrews 3:14

The great evangelist Billy Sunday said the problem with a lot of people is they treat sin like a cream puff instead of a rattlesnake.

Have you ever seen a baby rattlesnake? They are actually kind of cute. They have a little snake body, a little rattler, and little fangs. Someone might say, “Look at that little baby rattler. He’s so cute.”

Let me tell you something about that baby rattler. He might be smaller in size than an adult, but his venom is actually more potent, drop for drop, than the venom of an adult rattlesnake. And if that little rattlesnake were to give you a little bite, you would die if you couldn’t get to a doctor quickly.

Make no mistake about it. Sin is powerful. It is elusive. It is tricky. And it can appear so appealing on the outside. I have seen people who knew better, Christians who have walked with the Lord for years and know His Word well, fall into sin and be deceived by it.

We must be very careful, especially when it comes to seemingly small sins in our estimation. Sometimes we look at something and say, “That isn’t a big deal. It’s just a small sin. Surely it won’t do that much harm in my life.” Watch out. Dynamite comes in small packages.

We are told in Hebrews 3:12–14, “Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; but exhort one another daily, while it is called ‘Today,’ lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end.”

We must be careful and not let sin harden our hearts.

Copyright © 2017 by Harvest Ministries. All rights reserved.

Back