Day of preparation

I find it interesting that the day before the sabbath is called 'the day of preparation'.
One cant just enjoy the sabbath every week it comes round, one needs to have an entire day to prepare for it.

Things like preparing the food, which involves harvesting or shopping, making the house clean, making sure theres enough fuel in the car or stove, that you have people to invite, or conversely, somewhere to go. Its actually a very busy time. Cos on the sabbath day, normal operations cease. You not meant to work. GOd has done everything and commands us to rest. So we can just enjoy him without worrying about anything!

So how do we go about preparing for our rest? Or do we think, nah, I dont even need to prepare for it, I'll just show up.

Day of preparation...Jews preparation day...
John 20:42
The sabbath drew on..
luke 23:54
Day before the sabbath
Mark 15:42
The next day that followed the day of the preparation
Matthew 27:62

The bible actually says its for the regular sabbath becuase in those passages they had actually already celebrated the feast of passover. Passover is a high sabbath day and does not always occur during the regular sabbath.

Anyway the point is there is a day of preparation. The israelites gathered twice as much manna on the sixth day so they could rest on the seventh day in the wilderness. Exodus 16:29

I find that interesting that the israelites did actually try and go out to gather on the sabbath and couldnt find any manna. They were meant to rest! When all the shops are shut, dont try and go out shopping...and demand things. give the shopkeepers a break. They need a sabbath too.

Ok I guess am in minority that think shopkeeprs deserve a day off like the rest of us. In exodus 20 when God gave the ten commandments the one about the sabbath explained not only would the men not do any work, but also their children, their servants, maidservants, their cattle even the strangers in your gates.

So its not just a day off for yourself..its a day off to rest for everyone. Including the animals...and visitors!

So why is it that people that have weekends off make other people work on the weekends to serve them. These people then dont get weekends to enjoy cos they busy working. I know cos I once had to work sunday...and was never allowed to swap, cos the older people said it was a family day for them, but what about MY family?

Ok I guess am in minority that think shopkeeprs deserve a day off like the rest of us. In exodus 20 when God gave the ten commandments the one about the sabbath explained not only would the men not do any work, but also their children, their servants, maidservants, their cattle even the strangers in your gates.

So its not just a day off for yourself..its a day off to rest for everyone. Including the animals...and visitors!

So why is it that people that have weekends off make other people work on the weekends to serve them. These people then dont get weekends to enjoy cos they busy working. I know cos I once had to work sunday...and was never allowed to swap, cos the older people said it was a family day for them, but what about MY family?

Lanolin, there are just some professions that require people to work throughout the week and weekend (law enforcement, fire and rescue, emergency services, soldiers, etc). In the private sector, it comes down to money. I read that chick-fil-A, which is always closed on Sundays, gives up over $1.6 billion a year in sales. just foe the day they are closed.

For years, I use to get my pool supplies from a small "mom and pop" pool business. Several years ago, the business was sold to a family that were Seventh-Day Adventists. As a result, they did not do business on Saturdays. Most people use the weekend to take care of "things" they cannot work into their weekly schedule. Within months, the business closed down because most people just stated patronizing the local "pinch-a-penny" pool supply store, which is open all weekend long.

I do get it. In my search for new employment, I was uncomfortable with applying for positions that noted I had to work on the weekends. I have not had to work on weekends most of my adult like, unless I was the duty agent scheduled for weekend duty. Even then, I only had to work if we got a case and that was usually only for a couple of hours.

For the moment, I have a deal with the wife. Saturdays belong to her. Use the time to spend time together and do anything on my "money-do" list. Sunday's belong to God. I am a member of my church's security team, so I show up at around 8:30 and work security during all three services (9:00, 10:45, and 12:00). By 1:30, services are over and we are free. Granted, this is "work," but mostly involves either screening visitors at the from hall or sitting in the service arena and keeping an eye on what's is going on.

I am now considering joining the prison ministry, which provides services at one of many local federal and state prisons on Sunday afternoons.

I guess I do not consider this work, as it is mostly serving my church and community. As for Saturday (the real sabbath), it does involve working around the house, but I consider this more relaxing than working.

I guess it is just difficult to schedule an entire day where you do nothing. I know that you should attend services on the Sabbath; however, you are not even allowed to cook on that day. If the intent is to relax (OK, to not work), what constitutes work? What is cooking is a passion and you find relaxation in it. How about gardening? Churches have services on the Sabbath, so what does that say of the men and women that work in preparation or, and delivery, these services?

I suspect there are few people that actually sped the Sabbath the way it was intended. Not sure what do to about that.

rtm3039

God had spent all the first 6 days filling the earth with his amazing creations, planting the garden, etc. on the seventh He rested so he could enjoy it all.

Note that He didnt keep on going and actually stopped a day to rest.

So what did God mean by 'work' . Is security really work cos you not even producing anything. Is healing or putting out a fire actually 'work'? Is law enforcement 'work' in the sense do you create anything new.

But then do these people have a day off any other time.
Also why would you lose a billion dollars...if you didnt even make it in the first place. Who's to say that chick a fil loses a billion dollars, if they kept on working that extra day, wouldnt they just lose out on some other day because if it was open 7 days say, their quality of work or products would be down because of the extra stress of keeping open that extra day. They would need to be more efficient but at a cost to the wellbeing of their workers. So in the end they would lose because who wants to work 7 days straight. Nobody.

Back