Depression?

I was depressed as a child. My parents had an unhappy marriage and divorced when I was in third grade. To make matters worse, my mother thought that moving away from people and their influences on her children was a solution to multiple problems. Some school years I attended three different schools from September through June. Sometimes we only moved within one county yet a different school. Other times we moved several states away. When we lived in the south, we had one pair of sneakers and clothing for warmer climates. Then in the middle of the year we'd move to a climate where it snowed. Sometimes my mother would sell all our furniture and we'd take a train to the new state. Then she'd buy new beds for 5-6 kids as she earned enough money for them. She would get rid of some of our belongings so she wouldn't have the cost of shipping them. She never bought bicycles.

The first stepfather made my mother give the TV to her sister. Someone ended up with the electric mixer because he didn't like it. My mother fed the three children of her first husband(my dad) separately. Later we moved to a house with an attached apartment. My sister became a surrogate mother (at age 14) and cooked meals for our dad's children. We weren't allowed in the house! By then our mother and stepfather had two little children. After their divorce, I got to be with those other siblings. During that marriage we had no Christmases. No, my mother and stepfather didn't attend church. I'm glad I loved reading. That was my substitute for TV. My favorite book was Heidi. Heidi had to live in Germany but missed her life back in the Swiss Alps.

GOOD NEWS! God used those circumstances to make me compassionate. As we depend on guidance from the Bible, we learn how to treat others. I love the advice I find in the Bible, especially KINDNESS and FORGIVENESS.

P.S. We were never allowed to have friends over. In fifth grade we lived in a nice neighborhood. One of my friends informed me that I wasn't a child of God because I hadn't been baptized. :(

I was depressed as a child. My parents had an unhappy marriage and divorced when I was in third grade. To make matters worse, my mother thought that moving away from people and their influences on her children was a solution to multiple problems. Some school years I attended three different schools from September through June. Sometimes we only moved within one county yet a different school. Other times we moved several states away. When we lived in the south, we had one pair of sneakers and clothing for warmer climates. Then in the middle of the year we'd move to a climate where it snowed. Sometimes my mother would sell all our furniture and we'd take a train to the new state. Then she'd buy new beds for 5-6 kids as she earned enough money for them. She would get rid of some of our belongings so she wouldn't have the cost of shipping them. She never bought bicycles.

The first stepfather made my mother give the TV to her sister. Someone ended up with the electric mixer because he didn't like it. My mother fed the three children of her first husband(my dad) separately. Later we moved to a house with an attached apartment. My sister became a surrogate mother (at age 14) and cooked meals for our dad's children. We weren't allowed in the house! By then our mother and stepfather had two little children. After their divorce, I got to be with those other siblings. During that marriage we had no Christmases. No, my mother and stepfather didn't attend church. I'm glad I loved reading. That was my substitute for TV. My favorite book was Heidi. Heidi had to live in Germany but missed her life back in the Swiss Alps.

GOOD NEWS! God used those circumstances to make me compassionate. As we depend on guidance from the Bible, we learn how to treat others. I love the advice I find in the Bible, especially KINDNESS and FORGIVENESS.
Sounds like you made your way in good shape. God bless you.

I was depressed as a child. During that marriage we had no Christmases. No, my mother and stepfather didn't attend church. I'm glad I loved reading. That was my substitute for TV. My favorite book was Heidi. Heidi had to live in Germany but missed her life back in the Swiss Alps.

Hello Desiring More Truth;

I was touched by your testimony and am encouraged. It could have been easy to toss your love for reading aside but I feel this was God anointing you to study the Bible allowing Him to speak to you.

As a 7 year old boy I remember the story of
Heidi that came out in the late 19th century. Isn't it amazing how a story can remain timeless over a hundred years later?

It's also amazing how the Bible teaches how our Christian walk also deals with our constant disposition and conditions as individuals, how God is ever working through us, is no different than the people's character we read about in His Word.

He who began a good work in you -
Philippians 1:6b ESV is not only God's work but He fills us with perseverance and sanctification, that we can stop to ponder where and who we are today in Christ.

God bless
you, sister, and your family.

Back