Did Dinosaurs Co-exist With Biblical Man?

Hi, Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject? They surely existed because of the fossil record. Would the Behemoth and Leviathan referred to in the bible possibly be dinosaurs?

Hi, Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject? They surely existed because of the fossil record. Would the Behemoth and Leviathan referred to in the bible possibly be dinosaurs?
I don't think there is any definite answer for this.. Looking at Bible, I think the flood at the time of Noah would have re-structured the entire world. Might be that dinosaurs lived in separate places isolated from areas populated by man.. then the flood would have killed them all.. This is one theory I have read.. People who believe in old earth creation, can explain this quite easily :)

On a different note, did anyone see "chicken in hell" news?

Leviathan is Mr. Devil. Leviathan is credited with IQ.

Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down? Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?
(Job 41:1-2)

Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness.
(Psa 74:14)

God did this, not man, and has more than one head.

In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.
(Isa 27:1)

Job 41:15
His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal.

This serpent has pride.

God gave man dominion over all the animals of earth. This one God is describing is much different, the one that afflicted Job to start with and burnt up his sheep.

The Prophet of God did not make much ado about His Donkey talking with him. If that don't effect people, could be some T-Rex's running around might not have drawn much attention.

It comes down to entirely whether you believe in a 6000 year old earth or the many accepted observations that put the earth at 4.5 Billion years.

Believe the former and you have no option other than to fit dinosaurs in with humans.

Accept the latter and all can be explained within the known periods (Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous etc) ie humans were most definately not walking with dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs simply means huge lizard...some are still with us. Also if you look into the history of dragon lore, a dragon was just a huge reptile and some of them could fly....every continent has dragon lore...behemoth was a giant herding animal and leviathan was a giant sea creature...we cannot be sure if they were giant lizards (reptiles, hence dinosaurs)

Further to my previous post, if you believe in a young earth then you are in a position by default of having to somehow place dinosaurs in the same timeframe as humankind and that is difficult. At the time the bible stories were written, there was no concept of dinosaurs, at least not in the same way that we understand them now.

So this means a YEC has to find a way to make them fit his/her belief. If that's what you want to do then there are plenty of christian website sources set up to do exactly that. You need to make some compromises and reject geological evidence of the rise of the dinosaurs during the period of 250 to 65 myo but I guess you already have done, otherwise you would be asking the question elsewhere and not on a christian forum.

Why make it difficult for yourself? If you want dinosaurs and humans together then imagine that they were created by god along with the rest of the animal kingdom. They happily co-existed with biblical characters and were wiped out in the great flood because Noah wasn't instructed to let them on board. 6000 years later, we find their fossils, problem solved.

Wondering whether Behemoths or Leviathans were dinosaurs is the least of your problems.

Hey Tubby...what previous post?
Regarding Behemoths and Leviathans - I ran into a good article talking about this http://www.oldearth.org/job4041a.htm. The author makes a very good point that people at the time of Job could have found fossils of dinosaurs. Some paleontologists indicates, such as in The First Fossil Hunters (published in 2000), that fossils were noted and collected in antiquity, and put on display - and are linked to cultural mythology.

As another poster has noted - there is some small evidence where a human footprint was determined to be the same time period as the dinosaur print. And the verses in Job 40 indicate that man was made at the same time as the behemoth (15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.) That is if the behemoth is a dinosaur.
I admit I have a hard time with the earth is only 6,000 yrs. old. Reading Abdicates book The Chronology of Man, at least gives me an idea why people seem to think so. And there is a seeming poetry to 1 day equal a thousand and all, and I do think we are close to the end of days and the "seventh day". The 5th day God made the sea creatures and creatures of the air. The 6th day, before man, all creatures of the land. We don't know how long Adam and Eve existed in Eden (possibly separated from dinosaurs and Eden was not located near ocean) until their fall/disobedience to God. It is possible? Adam's 930 years did not start their count until after the Fall. It is hard for me to get over the 12,000 year theory that is being arrived at as the time of the flood, coming from various archeological sites such as Gobeckli Tepe. For the most part, while I don't necessarily hold with sciences time estimates, it would seem that man and dinosaurs lived at different times.

Hey Tubby...what previous post?
Regarding Behemoths and Leviathans - I ran into a good article talking about this http://www.oldearth.org/job4041a.htm. The author makes a very good point that people at the time of Job could have found fossils of dinosaurs. Some paleontologists indicates, such as in The First Fossil Hunters (published in 2000), that fossils were noted and collected in antiquity, and put on display - and are linked to cultural mythology.

As another poster has noted - there is some small evidence where a human footprint was determined to be the same time period as the dinosaur print. And the verses in Job 40 indicate that man was made at the same time as the behemoth (15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.) That is if the behemoth is a dinosaur.
I admit I have a hard time with the earth is only 6,000 yrs. old. Reading Abdicates book The Chronology of Man, at least gives me an idea why people seem to think so. And there is a seeming poetry to 1 day equal a thousand and all, and I do think we are close to the end of days and the "seventh day". The 5th day God made the sea creatures and creatures of the air. The 6th day, before man, all creatures of the land. We don't know how long Adam and Eve existed in Eden (possibly separated from dinosaurs and Eden was not located near ocean) until their fall/disobedience to God. It is possible? Adam's 930 years did not start their count until after the Fall. It is hard for me to get over the 12,000 year theory that is being arrived at as the time of the flood, coming from various archeological sites such as Gobeckli Tepe. For the most part, while I don't necessarily hold with sciences time estimates, it would seem that man and dinosaurs lived at different times.

Post #7.

Behemoth = elephant maybe? I don't know.

I don't really want to get into deep discussion about young earth vs 4 billion years if I can help it. It's fruitless in the end as I'll just end up responding to copied quotes from christian sites that aim to prove modern geology wrong and I'm not really the person to do that. I have little appetite for it also.

I was just trying to point out to the OP that if he really wants to believe that dinosaurs roamed the earth 6000 years ago to suit his theistic position then he probably will, but he will need to make some compromises in modern understanding.

Sorry, Tubby - I missed your post but then I guess we posted a short time apart. (3 mins). I get your point about the time thing, It doesn't effect my faith in that God created the universe, whether it be 14 billion years ago or 6,000 yrs ago. When they create virtual worlds in computer games, they are created with a previous history, which goes back further than their actual game creation date. When you get into talking about God and time, there is just no way to know because we are "in time" and God is outside of it.

Further to my previous post, if you believe in a young earth then you are in a position by default of having to somehow place dinosaurs in the same timeframe as humankind and that is difficult. At the time the bible stories were written, there was no concept of dinosaurs, at least not in the same way that we understand them now.

So this means a YEC has to find a way to make them fit his/her belief. If that's what you want to do then there are plenty of christian website sources set up to do exactly that. You need to make some compromises and reject geological evidence of the rise of the dinosaurs during the period of 250 to 65 myo but I guess you already have done, otherwise you would be asking the question elsewhere and not on a christian forum.

Why make it difficult for yourself? If you want dinosaurs and humans together then imagine that they were created by god along with the rest of the animal kingdom. They happily co-existed with biblical characters and were wiped out in the great flood because Noah wasn't instructed to let them on board. 6000 years later, we find their fossils, problem solved.

Wondering whether Behemoths or Leviathans were dinosaurs is the least of your problems.

Now that is an excellent view of a problematic situation.

Personally, when I look at and study the appearances of animals today, birds, lizards etc. I can actually envision that animal many millions of years ago and it being much larger. The more oxygen content of the atmosphere would allow for the growth of dinosaurs.

As man grew in more numbers, the animals would have grown smaller with less oxygen and less food supply. Anyone think that way or have I gone off the deep end?

I have read a lot about birds today being ancient dinosaurs. IT actually makes sense to me. If a T-rex was a giant scavenger, it looks very much to me that he could have grown smaller and maybe is actually a buzzard today.

No one mentioned this so here is MY 2 cents (it a bit much, but there's too many variable to put into a short clip):

Job 40:15-18 (KJV)
Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. Lo now, his strength [is] in his loins, and his force [is] in the navel of his belly. He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. His bones [are as] strong pieces of brass; his bones [are] like bars of iron.

Notes:
  • eats grass
  • tail like a cedar tree (cedar trees of Lebanon grow up to 130 feet! Wiki)
  • center of gravity was it's navel
Sounds like some form of sauropod. But whatever it was, it was big.

So, why are they gone. Science and the scriptures say there was a global catastrophe though they disagree on what that was. I'm going to stick with the Scriptures and go with the flood. So this leads to the next question: why, if all creatures were brought into the ark, were the dinosaurs not included. Bro. Paul already answered that. So how did they get to be so huge. Well there was a study (and I can't find it sorry) where a scientist took standard carp and put them into a huge fish tank and increased the barometric pressure and to his surprise they grew 300% their own size. Maybe someone can find it for me.

Anyhow, we know from the clues left in the Scriptures that with the flood came 40 days of rain with the breakup of the fountains of the deep (Genesis 7). There isn't enough water in the atmosphere to produce 40 days of continual rain on the planet so there had to have been something else. The Scriptures say that the ground was watered by a mist and not by rain (Genesis 2:5-6). Also the first time the words mountains, wind and clouds mentioned are in the flood story. Remember God made it so man could live without clothes, so the entire planet must have been in the 80 degrees F-90F all the time. But the temperature did change as the Lord met with Adam in the cool of the day (Genesis 3:8). Explorations of Antarctica have yielded fossilized tropical plants and trees, so no polar ice caps either(?).

A high barometric pressure produces those cloudless days. Just as there's a layer of O3 (ozone) around the planet today protecting us from the sun's radiation, maybe there was something surrounding the planet that would have increased the barometric pressure and kept the water from condensing. It's NOT a canopy of water since that would have been like a magnifying glass over a blade of grass - they'd all have been fried from the magnification of the sun light. A much higher barometric pressure would have allowed for much more water in the atmosphere while at the same time not allowing it to condense. There would have to be changes in the body to accommodate higher pressures than just a sunny days' worth since oxygen and nitrogen are toxic to the body at differing pressures. So currently that information is unknown, but one thing is certain, man no longer lived long lives after the flood. Before the flood everyone mentioned lived over 900 years (except Enoch who was raptured at 365, and Lamech who died at 777 years of age). After the flood Shem lived 600, Arphaxad his son only 438, Eber 464 his son, Peleg & Reu 239, Serug 230, Nahor 148, Terah 205, Abraham 175, Isaac 180, Jacob 147, Joseph 110, Moses 120, Joshua 110. Psalms 90:10 now says our average is 70 and with strength 80, which is exactly true today. What happened? If the barometric pressure were suddenly lowered, clouds (water vapor) would form as well as produce rain and to start to fall until an equilibrium were found again.

Genesis 7:11 says the fountains for the deep were broken up and then the windows of heaven were opened. Maybe when the fountains of the deep broke up they shot water into the troposphere or even the stratosphere and disrupted whatever it was that held the atmosphere at the higher levels than those of today. If that happened gravity would have brought down that now-frozen water causing massive drop in temperature. In fact, scientists have found woolly mammoths with hair which would not work in the tundra and with food still in their mouths and stomachs meaning they were frozen so quickly that it stopped the bacteria from decaying the food. There are fossils of fish eating fish entering its mouth. So in order for these things to happen, it got cold super fast and not over time.

So in conclusion, whatever allowed man to live 900 years, allowed the animals also to live that long producing very large animals.

Just a thought.

Some ideas from: http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/index.html

No one mentioned this so here is MY 2 cents (it a bit much, but there's too many variable to put into a short clip):

Job 40:15-18 (KJV)
Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox. Lo now, his strength [is] in his loins, and his force [is] in the navel of his belly. He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. His bones [are as] strong pieces of brass; his bones [are] like bars of iron.

Notes:
  • eats grass
  • tail like a cedar tree (cedar trees of Lebanon grow up to 130 feet! Wiki)
  • center of gravity was it's navel
Sounds like some form of sauropod. But whatever it was, it was big.

So, why are they gone. Science and the scriptures say there was a global catastrophe though they disagree on what that was. I'm going to stick with the Scriptures and go with the flood. So this leads to the next question: why, if all creatures were brought into the ark, were the dinosaurs not included. Bro. Paul already answered that. So how did they get to be so huge. Well there was a study (and I can't find it sorry) where a scientist took standard carp and put them into a huge fish tank and increased the barometric pressure and to his surprise they grew 300% their own size. Maybe someone can find it for me.

Anyhow, we know from the clues left in the Scriptures that with the flood came 40 days of rain with the breakup of the fountains of the deep (Genesis 7). There isn't enough water in the atmosphere to produce 40 days of continual rain on the planet so there had to have been something else. The Scriptures say that the ground was watered by a mist and not by rain (Genesis 2:5-6). Also the first time the words mountains, wind and clouds mentioned are in the flood story. Remember God made it so man could live without clothes, so the entire planet must have been in the 80 degrees F-90F all the time. But the temperature did change as the Lord met with Adam in the cool of the day (Genesis 3:8). Explorations of Antarctica have yielded fossilized tropical plants and trees, so no polar ice caps either(?).

A high barometric pressure produces those cloudless days. Just as there's a layer of O3 (ozone) around the planet today protecting us from the sun's radiation, maybe there was something surrounding the planet that would have increased the barometric pressure and kept the water from condensing. It's NOT a canopy of water since that would have been like a magnifying glass over a blade of grass - they'd all have been fried from the magnification of the sun light. A much higher barometric pressure would have allowed for much more water in the atmosphere while at the same time not allowing it to condense. There would have to be changes in the body to accommodate higher pressures than just a sunny days' worth since oxygen and nitrogen are toxic to the body at differing pressures. So currently that information is unknown, but one thing is certain, man no longer lived long lives after the flood. Before the flood everyone mentioned lived over 900 years (except Enoch who was raptured at 365, and Lamech who died at 777 years of age). After the flood Shem lived 600, Arphaxad his son only 438, Eber 464 his son, Peleg & Reu 239, Serug 230, Nahor 148, Terah 205, Abraham 175, Isaac 180, Jacob 147, Joseph 110, Moses 120, Joshua 110. Psalms 90:10 now says our average is 70 and with strength 80, which is exactly true today. What happened? If the barometric pressure were suddenly lowered, clouds (water vapor) would form as well as produce rain and to start to fall until an equilibrium were found again.

Genesis 7:11 says the fountains for the deep were broken up and then the windows of heaven were opened. Maybe when the fountains of the deep broke up they shot water into the troposphere or even the stratosphere and disrupted whatever it was that held the atmosphere at the higher levels than those of today. If that happened gravity would have brought down that now-frozen water causing massive drop in temperature. In fact, scientists have found woolly mammoths with hair which would not work in the tundra and with food still in their mouths and stomachs meaning they were frozen so quickly that it stopped the bacteria from decaying the food. There are fossils of fish eating fish entering its mouth. So in order for these things to happen, it got cold super fast and not over time.

So in conclusion, whatever allowed man to live 900 years, allowed the animals also to live that long producing very large animals.

Just a thought.

Some ideas from: http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/index.html

Those are some good thoughts and I can see that you have given this a lot of thought.

I saw not long ago on the Discovery TV Channel a program on this and someone there made the comment that OXYGEN was 25-30% more then than today. They said that alone would allow for everything to grow bigger.

Maybe if I didn't breath so good I could lose weight......whatcha ya think?

Those are some good thoughts and I can see that you have given this a lot of thought.

I saw not long ago on the Discovery TV Channel a program on this and someone there made the comment that OXYGEN was 25-30% more then than today. They said that alone would allow for everything to grow bigger.

Maybe if I didn't breath so good I could lose weight......whatcha ya think?

I'm with ya on that! I look at my spare tire as proof of God's blessing on my life :D

Back