Did God literally and visibly walk in the garden (Genesis 3:8)?

Genesis 3:8............
"And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden."

Most of us have been taught that God is spirit, so how exactly could He be “walking” in the garden?

Did you notice in the Scripture that God’s approach in the garden was heralded by a “voice.”

Verse #9 says that God called out to Adam......."Adam, where are you"?

The verse also mentions the “presence” of God “among the trees” of the garden. It was a presence that Adam and Eve acknowledged and thought they could hide from. So, God’s garden walk included both sound and some sort of presence among the trees.

Doctrinally speaking, the Second Position of the Trinity is the Son, and in Scriptures He always appears to be the avenue of communication between the natural world and the unseen world. He also serves as the causative agent. He is always the one who gives substance to the idea. He takes what is abstract (the idea) and gives it form and substance. Now lets dive a little deeper into the Scriptures in Colossians 1:16.............
"For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him" HIM here in this Scripture is the Lord Jesus Christ.

So it seems to me that the ONE walking in the Garden and calling out to Adam is the pre-incarnate Lord Jesus Christ.

What does this mean to us today???? Regardless of whether God appeared in human form or in a cloud, or whether He made His presence known by a windstorm, a tornado, it is clear that God Himself confronted the sinners and issued judgment. To the praise of His grace, this judgment also included the promise of a future Redeemer in Genesis 3:15. Thus began a great saga that ultimately led to Jesus Christ, the perfect sacrifice for sin and substitute for sin’s judgment. Through Christ, those who believe are forgiven of sin and receive eternal life.

As you read this..........Have YOU believed upon the Lord Jesus Christ for the payment of YOUR sins????

I take it that God walking with us in the GOE to mean the Voice of Conscience.

If I’m walking in a garden and see a snail, I wouldn’t step on it intentionally unless it was about to harm me or I was to eat it because I was starving. And if I was to kill it I would choose the less cruelest way if things allowed.

So yes, Intention is embedded in our conscience by God. So is choice. I wouldn’t eat it if there was some nice spaghetti on offer.

Adam and Eve disobeyed Him and I don’t know what the original sin was, but I can see that if I had everything freely offered me on a plate I could become a little brat. So to speak.

I take it that God walking with us in the GOE to mean the Voice of Conscience.

If I’m walking in a garden and see a snail, I wouldn’t step on it intentionally unless it was about to harm me or I was to eat it because I was starving. And if I was to kill it I would choose the less cruelest way if things allowed.

So yes, Intention is embedded in our conscience by God. So is choice. I wouldn’t eat it if there was some nice spaghetti on offer.

Adam and Eve disobeyed Him and I don’t know what the original sin was, but I can see that if I had everything freely offered me on a plate I could become a little brat. So to speak.
In MHO.......Walking, means WALKING! I think that Jesus the Creator was in the habit of walking with His creation all the time. That is why Adam knew who it was and hid himself!

Original sin refers to Adam’s sin of disobedience in eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil and its effects upon the rest of the human race. Original sin can be defined as “the moral corruption we possess as a consequence of Adam’s sin, resulting in a sinful disposition manifesting itself in habitually sinful behavior.”

Major:
Would you care to compare/contrast/comment on the manner God physically manifested Himself when he wrestled with Jacob (and Jacob received the name Israel)?

Genesis 32:24-30 (NASB)
24 Then Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him until daybreak.
25 When he saw that he had not prevailed against him, he touched the socket of his thigh; so the socket of Jacob’s thigh was dislocated while he wrestled with him.
26 Then he said, “Let me go, for the dawn is breaking.” But he said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.”
27 So he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.”
28 He said, “Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel; for you have striven with God and with men and have prevailed.”
29 Then Jacob asked him and said, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And he blessed him there.
30 So Jacob named the place Peniel, for he said, “I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been preserved.”

Major:
Would you care to compare/contrast/comment on the manner God physically manifested Himself when he wrestled with Jacob (and Jacob received the name Israel)?

Genesis 32:24-30 (NASB)
24 Then Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him until daybreak.
25 When he saw that he had not prevailed against him, he touched the socket of his thigh; so the socket of Jacob’s thigh was dislocated while he wrestled with him.
26 Then he said, “Let me go, for the dawn is breaking.” But he said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.”
27 So he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.”
28 He said, “Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel; for you have striven with God and with men and have prevailed.”
29 Then Jacob asked him and said, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And he blessed him there.
30 So Jacob named the place Peniel, for he said, “I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been preserved.”

What do you mean by contrast or compare???

As far as a comment.........IMHO the "man" was The Lord Jesus Christ! He manifested Himself in human form so as to be known as a man. I believe that every time your see the "manifestation of deity" in the Bible it is the pre-incarnate Christ.

He was the burning bush. He was the cloud by day and fire by night. He was the man Abraham was visited by. He was the man who encouraged Joshua. He was the man with Daniel in the lions den. He was the man in furnace. He was the man Daniel saw by the river. He was the man who walked in the Garden to find Adam.

But..........That is just me !

Genesis 3:8............"And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden."
Most of us have been taught that God is spirit, so how exactly could He be “walking” in the garden? Did you notice in the Scripture that God’s approach in the garden was heralded by a “voice.” Verse #9 says that God called out to Adam......."Adam, where are you"?
Doctrinally speaking, the Second Position of the Trinity is the Son, and in Scriptures He always appears to be the avenue of communication between the natural world and the unseen world. So it seems to me that the ONE walking in the Garden and calling out to Adam is the pre-incarnate Lord Jesus Christ.
As you read this..........Have YOU believed upon the Lord Jesus Christ for the payment of YOUR sins????

In MHO.......Walking, means WALKING! I think that Jesus the Creator was in the habit of walking with His creation all the time. That is why Adam knew who it was and hid himself!
Original sin refers to Adam’s sin of disobedience in eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil and its effects upon the rest of the human race. Original sin can be defined as “the moral corruption we possess as a consequence of Adam’s sin, resulting in a sinful disposition manifesting itself in habitually sinful behavior.”

Hello Major;

In Genesis 3:8, 8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.

I believe in God's Word that He was actually walking in the garden and it meant just that, and in
God's concept, since He is infinite used the term "walking" to help us understand in our finite minds that He wanted to be with us, to love and communicate with us, to protect us especially when we do wrong. "Where are you?" "What are you doing?"

I believe the wind in verse 8 was God speaking. Throughout the Bible when God spoke it wasn't always a loud, thunderous sound, but a soft whisper. Elijah was humbled and wrapped his face when He heard God's whisper.

1 Kings 19:11-13, 11 And he said, “Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper. 13 And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

In the case of Adam I believe Christ was with God in Genesis and Adam hid at the sound of Jesus walking. When we read the Gospels, Jesus walked the earth and even water.

I do believe Jesus paid the price for my sins and I thank Him daily for the cross. I also confess the many times that I tried to hide from the guilt of my sin. Nevertheless, I still thank Him daily for the cross.

God bless
you, Major.

Hello Major;

In Genesis 3:8, 8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.

I believe in God's Word that He was actually walking in the garden and it meant just that, and in
God's concept, since He is infinite used the term "walking" to help us understand in our finite minds that He wanted to be with us, to love and communicate with us, to protect us especially when we do wrong. "Where are you?" "What are you doing?"

I believe the wind in verse 8 was God speaking. Throughout the Bible when God spoke it wasn't always a loud, thunderous sound, but a soft whisper. Elijah was humbled and wrapped his face when He heard God's whisper.

1 Kings 19:11-13, 11 And he said, “Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper. 13 And when Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

In the case of Adam I believe Christ was with God in Genesis and Adam hid at the sound of Jesus walking. When we read the Gospels, Jesus walked the earth and even water.

I do believe Jesus paid the price for my sins and I thank Him daily for the cross. I also confess the many times that I tried to hide from the guilt of my sin. Nevertheless, I still thank Him daily for the cross.

God bless
you, Major.

Interestingly........Adam and Eve "hid" themselves before God even asked where they were. That indicates that they knew they had stepped in it!

I believe that our Heavenly Father literally... walked in His Garden of Eden, for that is His Abode, and it was once upon this earth.

Genesis 2 reveals God's Eden upon this earth, with His River flowing out to feed four other rivers upon this earth, two of which still exist today, the Euphrates and the Tigris (Hiddekel).

Ezekiel 47 and Revelation 22 reveals a future return of God's River upon this earth, literally, and with The Father and The Son dwelling among us.

Genesis 1:26-27 reveals that our image of 'man' actually originates from GOD's Own outward image likeness. Many are wrongly... taught that the image of 'man' originated with the flesh, not so! God created our flesh outward image with His image of 'man', and likewise He did the same with the angels' outward likeness image, even though they don't have flesh bodies!

Isaiah went to ground immediately when he saw God sitting upon His Throne in Heaven, as Isaiah thought he had to have been dead to see God's Image on His Throne.

Isa 6:1-5
6 In the year that king Uzziah died
I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and His train filled the temple.

2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.

3 And one cried unto another, and said, "Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory."

4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of Him That cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

Then said I, "Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."
KJV

I believe that our Heavenly Father literally... walked in His Garden of Eden, for that is His Abode, and it was once upon this earth.

Genesis 2 reveals God's Eden upon this earth, with His River flowing out to feed four other rivers upon this earth, two of which still exist today, the Euphrates and the Tigris (Hiddekel).

Ezekiel 47 and Revelation 22 reveals a future return of God's River upon this earth, literally, and with The Father and The Son dwelling among us.

Genesis 1:26-27 reveals that our image of 'man' actually originates from GOD's Own outward image likeness. Many are wrongly... taught that the image of 'man' originated with the flesh, not so! God created our flesh outward image with His image of 'man', and likewise He did the same with the angels' outward likeness image, even though they don't have flesh bodies!

Isaiah went to ground immediately when he saw God sitting upon His Throne in Heaven, as Isaiah thought he had to have been dead to see God's Image on His Throne.

Isa 6:1-5
6 In the year that king Uzziah died
I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and His train filled the temple.

2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.

3 And one cried unto another, and said, "Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory."

4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of Him That cried, and the house was filled with smoke.

Then said I, "Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."
KJV
Good stuff.!! I agree!
It is my understanding that Creation was given to the Lord Jesus Christ. As such IMHO it was the pre-incarnant Christ who as GOD walked in the Garden.

Good stuff.!! I agree!
It is my understanding that Creation was given to the Lord Jesus Christ. As such IMHO it was the pre-incarnant Christ who as GOD walked in the Garden.
John did say that "God is a Spirit" (John 4:24).

I find that a majority of brethren still do not understand the difference between this 'earthly' dimension, and the Heavenly dimension of Spirit where The Father, and Son, and Holy Spirit, and the angels all dwell.

One thing that might... help, is the Hebrews 11:3 verse...

Heb 11:3
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God,
so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
KJV

That in red is saying material matter did not create itself. Science knows that material matter can neither be created, nor destroyed, but only change its state (solid, liquid, gas, vapor). The whole universe is made up of material matter.

This means then... something 'outside' of the material world created it, even the idea of another dimension other than this 'earthly' one. That 'something' believers call The Godhead of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. And since Apostle John said "God is a Spirit", that has to mean that other dimension that 'created' material matter is a dimension of SPIRIT.

Matter originated from SPIRIT? Yes, if one believes that Lord Jesus created the worlds as written in Hebrews. That begs a huge... question. Then WHICH dimension is actually the more REAL?

This I know many brethren are confused about, mainly because of the influence of our fleshy thinking and false teachings from the children of darkness. Yet the "spiritual body" is actually the 'type' of body that Apostle Paul taught for the world to come under Lord Jesus at His return (see 1 Corinthians 15). That means the "spiritual body" can... and will... live upon this earth in that world to come, because in Isaiah in His future Kingdom it is written that we will plant vineyards and build houses (Isaiah 65; Ezekiel 28:25-26). And to make sure no man can counter that idea by Apostle Paul, he said this which many brethren find hard to understand...

1 Cor 15:48-50
48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50 Now this I say, brethren,
that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
KJV

John did say that "God is a Spirit" (John 4:24).

I find that a majority of brethren still do not understand the difference between this 'earthly' dimension, and the Heavenly dimension of Spirit where The Father, and Son, and Holy Spirit, and the angels all dwell.

One thing that might... help, is the Hebrews 11:3 verse...

Heb 11:3
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God,
so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
KJV

That in red is saying material matter did not create itself. Science knows that material matter can neither be created, nor destroyed, but only change its state (solid, liquid, gas, vapor). The whole universe is made up of material matter.

This means then... something 'outside' of the material world created it, even the idea of another dimension other than this 'earthly' one. That 'something' believers call The Godhead of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. And since Apostle John said "God is a Spirit", that has to mean that other dimension that 'created' material matter is a dimension of SPIRIT.

Matter originated from SPIRIT? Yes, if one believes that Lord Jesus created the worlds as written in Hebrews. That begs a huge... question. Then WHICH dimension is actually the more REAL?

This I know many brethren are confused about, mainly because of the influence of our fleshy thinking and false teachings from the children of darkness. Yet the "spiritual body" is actually the 'type' of body that Apostle Paul taught for the world to come under Lord Jesus at His return (see 1 Corinthians 15). That means the "spiritual body" can... and will... live upon this earth in that world to come, because in Isaiah in His future Kingdom it is written that we will plant vineyards and build houses (Isaiah 65; Ezekiel 28:25-26). And to make sure no man can counter that idea by Apostle Paul, he said this which many brethren find hard to understand...

1 Cor 15:48-50
48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50 Now this I say, brethren,
that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
KJV

Colossians 1:16 confirms your thesis...........
"For by him were all things created, (Christ) that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him".

Back