Die to self

I don't think we really get what that means. Just as we can't will ourself to be led, we can only yield, so to die to oneself is a 'catch 22'. We want to be something - by human nature... From the day we become self aware we start to strive for something. Of course this is not a bad thing it is necessary, but due to our fallen nature it imust be misguided. Even when a person enters the ministry a person wants to be a minister that is appreciated or even admired, but look at the prophets of old which one of them had a life of public fame? And sincerity, I'm sure the Pharisees and Sadducees were sincere for the most part, and we know what Jesus said about them. So what is the self that we need to die to? It must be something we can't lay our finger on but must be accomplished outside of ourself. Scripture speaks of entering the 'rest', if we are resting then we must not be doing. Of course God does the doing - so come what may 'all is well'. I don't have 'dieing to self' figured out and I suppose it is not for figuring or I would probably try to put my hand on the wheel.
In conclusion, I want to trust in the Lord and He will work it out.
Die to self - I'll just carry on - do the best I can and not complain about the speed bumps along the way.
He will get the honor and glory because I can't save myself.
Thank you for your ear on my morning meditation. God bless

I don't think we really get what that means. I don't have 'dieing to self' figured out and I suppose it is not for figuring or I would probably try to put my hand on the wheel. In conclusion, I want to trust in the Lord and He will work it out. Die to self - I'll just carry on - do the best I can and not complain about the speed bumps along the way. He will get the honor and glory because I can't save myself. Thank you for your ear on my morning meditation. God bless

Good morning, 2404;

I'm with you, brother. I struggle with dying to self, what does it mean, how did this apply to Jesus and how does this apply in my life? These passages began to help me understand our lives and two ways it could end.

In Psalm 73:15-17, 15 If I had said, “I will speak thus,” I would have betrayed the generation of your children. 16 But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, 17 until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end.

Asaph the Levite who wrote Psalm 73 was appointed by David to take charge of singing in the house of God. He struggled with the wicked living good lives, prosperity gained with no pain or life threats, until he went into the house of the Lord and gained perspective on his problem. Asaph was able to see things from an eternal viewpoint and began to understand their end.

In Mark 10:43-45, 42 And Jesus called them to him and said to them, “You know that those who are considered rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great ones exercise authority over them. 43 But it shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, 44 and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

I began to slowly understand dying to self, whether serving, persecuted for my faith, a prisoner of war, enslaved, or protecting another to the point of death knowing that Jesus would be there to receive me.

In my testimony, just last October when I served in Romania we traveled across the border to Ukraine. In my confession to God I was prepared for the consequences of dying should the Russians strike where we were serving in Ukraine. Instead of playing it safe as a condition for serving the people I was already prepared to die for Jesus. I also asked God to equip us/me with wisdom and discernment if the conditions were obviously too severe for our team to set foot across the border.

This October we are prayerfully planning to return to Romania and travel to Ukraine.

In the meantime I'm still trying to learn and understand this
dying to self, not just overseas but in my everyday life, health, marriage and ministry.

I hope this helps you, me and all of us by sharing my testimony.

God bless
you, 2404, your family and thank you for submitting this thread.

To live is Christ, to die is gain Philippians 1:21
That is truly an excellent passage. 🙏 ❤️

To Live Is Christ​

Yes, and I will rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, 20 as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again. (Philippians 1:19-26 ESV)

Back