Divorce and remarriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been divorced for 3 years now. During the time of my marriage and my divorce, I was in and recovering from a serious eating disorder and overall very dark time in my life. I am the one who left the marriage. At the time I did so because he was not supportive of my experience or recovery and I felt like I had married a stranger.

Since then I've gone through a lot in my own personal Journey of recovery and coming back to the Lord. I signed up for Christian Mingle with the intention of looking for a Christian partner about a month ago. Recently I did the thing I had been avoiding and really looked into what scripture says about divorce and remarriage.

I'm struggling because my ex-husband is not a follower of Christ, but I don't want to bring my sin onto an innocent brother of Christ by marrying him. I want so badly to have a Godly marriage with a partner who has the same desire. For a while I had become at peace with trying to reconcile with my ex-husband out of obedience to God's word. But now I wonder if that's really the right thing to do.

I don't know whether I'm looking for guidance or just prayer, but I feel very lost in this matter.

For a little more context, I met him at the onset of my eating disorder and finally sought treatment one week after our honeymoon. The entire time I was very disconnected from both him and everything else in my life that wasn't the disease. He I think is just a disconnected person by Nature and maybe that Drew me to him because he never questioned what I was thinking or feeling when I was trying to hide what was going on. But I finally started to feel like a person again, he wasn't able to understand that anything had been wrong in the first place. I was so fragile and felt like I was fighting for my life and I couldn't handle him having no idea or willingness to understand what I had gone through and needed to come back from.

So I have been divorced for 3 years now. During the time of my marriage and my divorce, I was in and recovering from a serious eating disorder and overall very dark time in my life. I am the one who left the marriage. At the time I did so because he was not supportive of my experience or recovery and I felt like I had married a stranger.

Since then I've gone through a lot in my own personal Journey of recovery and coming back to the Lord. I signed up for Christian Mingle with the intention of looking for a Christian partner about a month ago. Recently I did the thing I had been avoiding and really looked into what scripture says about divorce and remarriage.

I'm struggling because my ex-husband is not a follower of Christ, but I don't want to bring my sin onto an innocent brother of Christ by marrying him. I want so badly to have a Godly marriage with a partner who has the same desire. For a while I had become at peace with trying to reconcile with my ex-husband out of obedience to God's word. But now I wonder if that's really the right thing to do.

I don't know whether I'm looking for guidance or just prayer, but I feel very lost in this matter.

We definitely will keep you lifted up in prayer for direction and peace.

I don't know your whole story, but God does. I can only give the same support, prayer wise. God will lead you in what He wants you to do.

I read about 60% of first marriages are permanent (USA). Statistically, any marriage after the first marriage is more likely to end in divorce than a first marriage. It is difficult for one who has been unfaithful to form a successful marriage. A marriage that is beneficial to God should continue. Living a good life as a single person is not a sin either. Jesus was single.

Paul wrote that while he was single other disciples were married:

1 Corinthians 9:9 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Haven’t I seen Jesus Christ, our Lord? Aren’t you my work in the Lord? 2 If to others I am not an apostle, yet at least I am to you; for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord. 3 My defense to those who examine me is this. 4 Have we no right to eat and to drink? 5 Have we no right to take along a wife who is a believer, even as the rest of the apostles, and the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas? - World English Bible, public domain.

We must understand that Jesus word about marriage is wisdom, not Law.. Though it is the ideal we strive for - it is not always what we can accomplish due to the fallen nature of mankind.

2 points:
1. You are not bound by the law. God Himself has taken responsibility for our failure to live up to His law through the death of Jesus on the cross.

2. We still must live in this fallen world.

You are an adult. You must make the best decision you can given the hand you are dealt. That is not an easy matter.

You are now legally not married and are starting over. As such - you should treat it as a new beginning. You are not bound by Jesus to return to your ex-husband. You may decide that is what you want - or you may decide it is not right. You must make this decision the best you can with your eyes open wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back