Do Not Fear

Jesus told his disciples that he was going to leave them and that they could not go with him now, but they would follow later. He told them not to be afraid, though, because he was going to prepare a place for them in his Father’s house, and that one day he would come back, at which time he would take them (us) to be with him forever. Then he assured them that he would not leave them comfortless. He would send his Holy Spirit to be in them, and the Counselor would teach them all things and remind them of everything Jesus had taught them. Yet, he also let them know that he was the only way to the Father. He said “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Then, he explained to them how this new relationship with him, the Father and the Spirit works. If we love Jesus Christ, we will keep his commands, i.e. we will obey him. Whoever has his commands and keeps (obeys; holds to) them is the one who loves Jesus. If we love Jesus, we will be loved by the Father and by the Son, and he will show himself to us. If we love Jesus we will obey his teaching. The Father will love us, and the Father and the Son will make their home with us. If we do not obey Christ’s teachings, then we do not truly love him. If we do not love him, then all bets are off, i.e. none of these promises apply to us. So, love for God means keeping his commands, and his commands are not burdensome.

Do Not Fear / An Original Work / June 2, 2013

Based off John 14

Do not let your hearts fear.
Trust in God. Trust in Christ.
“In My house you will find
Many rooms I have
Prepared for you,
And I will come back
And take you to heav’n.”

“I will take you to be with Me;
You’ll be where I am.”

“I am the way and