Do You Love Me?

After Jesus had died and had risen from the grave he appeared to his disciples multiple times. On one of these occasions he appeared to a small number of them while they were out fishing. The disciples came ashore, Jesus fed them breakfast, and then Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you (god-like) love me more than these?” He didn’t explain the “more than these,” but Peter may have understood what he meant. The point was that Jesus was asking him if he loved him more, truly more than any of “these.” Peter answered that he loved him with a friendship love, to which Jesus replied, “Feed my lambs” (spiritually feed his disciples). This happened again, and then the third time Jesus asked him if he (friendship) loved him, to which Peter once again affirmed his love and affection for his Lord. And, again the Lord said, “Feed my sheep” (his followers). – See John 21.

I believe Jesus Christ is still asking this question today, only to all of his followers: “Do you love me more than these?” The “these” can be anyone or anything in our lives which robs us of our time with God, our relationship with and obedience to him, and our walk in the Spirit in his righteousness and truth, forsaking all other "gods.” Jesus said that if we love him, we will obey his commands; and we will obey his teaching. His Father will love us, and they will come and make their home with us. Yet, if we don’t love him, we will not obey his teaching – See John 14. Then, John (in 1 John) said that we know we have come to know God if we obey his commands; and love for God is to keep his commands.

Do we love Jesus? Then we need to turn from our sins, follow him in obedience, do what he says, and take his gospel to the ends of the earth – all in the power of his Spirit within us.

Do You Love Me? / An Original Work / July 24, 2013

Do you love Me now?
Will you seek My face?
I have given you
My love and My grace.
Will you walk with Me
Ev’rywhere I lead?
Will you find in Me
All of what you need?

Won’t you meet with Me
Down upon your knees?
Will you obey Me,