Doctrine Unaware

I believe one of the most important teachings of Scripture is the truth that Christians have no covenant with God, but are recipients of a covenant between the Father and the Son, which is the “Covenant of Redemption”; and its primary theme is Hebrews 13:20: “Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the Blood of the Everlasting Covenant, 21, Make you perfect in every good work to do His will, working in you that which is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever, Amen.”

“The Covenant of Redemption is the agreement made between the members of the Trinity in order to bring us salvation. We find allusions to it in several Biblical texts. Under this covenant, the Father plans redemption and sends the Son in order to save His people. The Son agrees to be sent and to do the work necessary to save the elect (John 10:17–18), and the Spirit agrees to apply the work of Christ to us by sealing us unto salvation (Eph 1:13–14). -R. C. Sproul

There is nowhere in Scripture that supports Christians having a covenant with God. When Jesus said "this is My Blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins" (Mat 26:28), it in no way referred to a covenant with man, but with the Father. The covenant that believers have in Christ is the "Everlasting Covenant" (“Covenant of Redemption”), and there is no mention of man's involvement here.

This, for the most part, hasn’t been taught in the Churchs; and it’s my opinion that it will never become a common doctrine among Christians. Of course, this is not essential salvation doctrine, thus believing or disbelieving in it cannot affect one’s salvation, just one’s spiritual growth.

God bless, and God be blessed!

NetChaplain (Robert Hall)

Back