Does Anybody Know That You Are a Christian?

Hello Hobie;

Good question. I'm a Christian and an advocate for witnessing in the backyard of our community. At first the gas station, restaurants, bank, post office, many didn't know I am a believer. At a certain time they give me the opportunity to share my faith and some have visited or joined our church family.

The gas station is muslim, one of the restaurants is Chinese and the rest is the rest. My friends at the gas station learned a couple of years ago that I'm a Christian and feel I earned their respect purely by listening to what they believe, opinions of living in America and their view of the oil industry and these times in the world. I choose to give them my business by purchasing their gasoline.

After 6 years there is a love and trust when they see me pull in to fill up with gas. One day we'll gather for a meal.

God bless you and your family, Hobie.

In my work career, I always had a Bible, and usually a couple of other Christian treatises on my bookshelf. There was usually someone I worked with that I was consciously trying to show Christ.

Bowing ones head before meals is a way of proclaiming who you serve.

The largest effects can be the words out of your mouth. Christ, and what He has done for you should be gently on your lips. From treating people with respect to what you discuss, many will hear and you may be an example. even when you are unaware.

Look for opportunities and they will appear.

In the world today non believers would pick me apart being they have been judged themselves. This is the bible belt full of thumpers from denominations I wont mention. Therefore Im sure they would say I have a drink with my dinner, and I don't always dress/behave modestly. However they do see me pray, which can be a testimony in itself. I do openly pray often for people at work, which is more socially acceptable in the south. I try very hard to be kind, and acceptable of the diversity of others.

In my opinion which is biblically based, how are my sins any different than anyone else's? This is the point; they are NOT. Who are we then as Christians to judge others based on their particular sins, even if they keep doing them? Don't we? We are not blameless by any means. Therefore how we treat others says a lot about the kind the Christian's we are, opening the door for future witnessing (even if that witnessing isn't from us).

So the next time you see someone all pierced and tatted up, or a gay couple kissing, remember THAT. Our judgement of them is also a sin, for we are inexcusable. We don't have to like what others do, but we are commanded to love our neighbors.

I dont know about gas stations as many of them are self service they dont even bother to help you anymore. Many gas stations are owned by indians in my country as are dairies and they would be hindu (although now there are many indian christians) so I think the ones that offer to fill up your car are christians as many actually dont do that.

At restaurants you can tell if the management is christian they might have a blessing on the wall. I have frequented a few christian cafes and resturants and I do feel I have better meals there because of their hospitality that makes a difference.

Although having said that the food might not be great. There was one christian cafe well its family owned by some people I know at church and while service is with a smile it could do better in terms of value for money and what they offer. But then Im a bit fussy with food. However you are paying for it so the thing is if you cant afford to eat out all the time you might go somehwhere cheaper that isnt christian.

You can always go to church that offers free meals though.

Usually they will say God bless or greet you like good morning or good evening and say goodbye, basically wishing you well, and after youve had a meal or been served you say thank you..but they also might say it was a pleasure to serve you or happy to be of help.

If you are generous and can afford it, you could offer to pay for the next customer as a random act of kindness?

Random acts of kindness can simply be seen as random acts of kindness. How do we show the world the holy spirit gifted unto us through the shed blood of Jesus Christ? What makes us distinctively different as children of God? The answers to these questions is what we should to be reflecting upon the mirror of life, as to be a light for others in the darkness.

Random acts of kindness can simply be seen as random acts of kindness. How do we show the world the holy spirit gifted unto us through the shed blood of Jesus Christ? What makes us distinctively different as children of God? The answers to these questions is what we should to be reflecting upon the mirror of life, as to be a light for others in the darkness.

Yes, there can be some ambiguity regarding the impetus for a good deed. And if we look, we can even see apparently good things done by athiests (and sometimes the Lord even uses such for His purposes), but that is not the issue. Our Lord advises us to do good things in secret, meaning that our minds are not so much in someone else seeing how Christian we are as it is on our being faithful before the Lord.

As far as a good being wrought in the heart and mind of either the recipient of the act of kindness, or in the heart and mind of an observer, that is up to the Holy Spirit. Our responsibility and aim should be to be a quiet agent of Him. Any conversion or acceptance is the result of the work of the Holy Spirit in the heart of those so moved. We are privileged to be of service to Him.

I can agree with you, but not entirely. I am certainly not always a quiet agent and profess what I believe, why I believe it, and the fact that Im here because of it. I wish to witness to the world through my actions as well as my words. Not all of us are silent soldiers. Some of us are bold prayer warriors that have little concern over who is listening or those unsaved souls that might find offence with prayer. I find no shame in being saved, to remain hidden. I am light and salty, and I hope the world can see Christ in me, not for me but to the glory of GOD in heaven. This isn't the middle ages, and I wear my armor daily.

Hopefully I remember to fight a good spiritual fight and not give in to the evil in this world. Satan is waiting to watch us trip and fall. Might the light of Christ in me help someone else see and not stumble.

In my line of work. I have to be careful. Me bringing up faith can provide a good defense attorney with ammunition to say that I brought God into the picture to guilt someone into confessing.

I do find that, after my re-birth, I try to be a bit more Christian when dealing with Suspects. I try to let them know that, even though they may have broken the law, they are still people worth loving and, to the extent they desire, saving.

This is a timely discussion, as it was the subject of the sermon at church. Below are the notes that we receive prior to weekend services:

BREAKING THE ICE:
Have you ever had someone try to sell you on something? What was it and how did they try and “convert” you into a customer?

Do you think the way they went about trying to convince you was a good way to try to convince you or a bad way to try and convince you? Explain
STUDY NOTE: Recap Chapter 1 before reading the text
GO TO THE SOURCE: Read Jonah 2:10-3:9
DIG A LITTLE DEEPER:
Miami Needs Hope

• Look back at Jonah 1:2, what was the reason God sent Jonah to preach against Nineveh?
  • Do you think our city could be described the same way? Explain
  • What do people in our city worship? Meaning what do people give their time, talents, and treasures too?
  • Was there a time in your life that you were much like the people of Nineveh? What did you find hope in during that time?

We Struggle to Share
  • God gave Jonah a second chance to obey Him. When has God given you a second chance to do what He called you to do?
  • How did that make you feel?
  • Jonah had his reasons for not wanting to “preach” to the people of Nineveh, are there reasons you struggle to share your faith with the people around you? What are they?
  • Read Matthew 28:18-19. Why does Jesus say that “ all authority has been given to Him in heaven and on earth” before giving us the great commission? What did He mean by that?
    • STUDY NOTE: Jesus is letting us know that He ultimately has authority over who will receive Him and who will reject His message of the gospel. This should take away all of our insecurities when sharing our faith because Jesus has ultimate authority.
You Have a Message to Share
  • What does Jonah do in 3:3-4?
  • What did Jonah actually say according to the text?
  • How do the people respond to Jonah in verses 5-9?
    • STUDY NOTE: Putting on sackcloth (think burlap sack) was a sign of repentance. It was an outward way to display the discomfort the people felt in their souls because of their sin.
  • Why do you think so many people were converted by those simple words?
    • STUDY NOTE: Pastor Omar shared last week that salvation is of the Lord. It is not based on us or how convincing we can be. The Lord works through our words.
  • What do you think is important to share with someone so they can understand the message of salvation? Look up the following verses and then answer: Rom 3:23, 6:23, 10:9-10, 10:13
  • How does what the Ninevites did when they heard the message from Jonah compare to what is described in James 4:8-10?

MAKE IT COUNT:
Arise and Tell: invest and invite

• Can God save someone by you giving an invite card out this week?
  • How many of us were lead to Jesus from someone we didn't know?
    • STUDY NOTE: The majority of people who come to faith in Jesus come through a person that they have a personal relationship with. This is why we focus on investing in meaningful relationships with unbelievers that are genuine and authentic.
  • How can you invest in a meaningful way into the life of an unbeliever around you?
  • Who can you invest in this week and who can you invite this week?
  • Make your faith public. Place a Christ Fellowship Yard Sign in your home to let your neighbors know you are a Christ follower. It is much easier to invest and invite your neighbors if they already know you love Jesus.

I dont know about gas stations as many of them are self service they dont even bother to help you anymore. Many gas stations are owned by indians in my country as are dairies and they would be hindu (although now there are many indian christians) so I think the ones that offer to fill up your car are christians as many actually dont do that.

At restaurants you can tell if the management is christian they might have a blessing on the wall. I have frequented a few christian cafes and resturants and I do feel I have better meals there because of their hospitality that makes a difference.

Although having said that the food might not be great. There was one christian cafe well its family owned by some people I know at church and while service is with a smile it could do better in terms of value for money and what they offer. But then Im a bit fussy with food. However you are paying for it so the thing is if you cant afford to eat out all the time you might go somehwhere cheaper that isnt christian.

You can always go to church that offers free meals though.
That's funny, as many of the gas stations here are owned by people from India too. Usually, after around 9pm, gas stations lock their doors and you have to deal with them through a bullet proof security window. Even stations that sell stuff work that way. You tell them you want a Coke and they will get it, You slide your money, or ATM card, through a small metal drawer. They do the transactions and slide your change and Coke back through the same metal drawer.

As for food. I always hand at church most weekends. I volunteer on the security team and am at 2 or all 3 Sunday services (8:30 AM to as late as 2:00 PM. The church has a volunteer kitchen where any volunteer can go for breakfast and/or lunch. It's not bad and it is free. Today I had grits with sausage for breakfast and lasagna for lunch. Saturday I volunteered to provide security for the adoption/foster care ministry. It was way too many muffins for breakfast and pizza for lunch.

rtm3039

How about your neighbor or your fellow workers or if you go to the same gas station or restaurant, does the person see you are a Christian? What would they say?

Excellent point!!!

Speaking for me only, everyone who knows me knows I am a Christian. I am "loud", and "unashamed" of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
We live in a relatively small town now for the past 40 years and wherever I go in town the people who see me call out......Hey Preacher!

Now, everyone who knows me does not necessarily mean that they love me. However, they all show respect for me because they know from past experiences that I always brag on Jesus and stand for what the Word of God teaches.

My wife and I were in Waynesville NC about 20 years ago walking down the main street looking at the shops. All of a sudden I heard someone yell out.....
"HEY PREACHER"! I knew it could not be me because we did not know anyone there. Then They did it again. We looked around and sure enough, one of the deacons from another church in Deland Fl. was at the stop light and he was the one calling out to me.

Even when I go to a different restaurant, I always ask the waiter/waitress if they go to church. That is always a good lead opening question. If they say NO, I immediately invite them to my church. If they say YES, I will bless them and encourage them to have a good day.

If they show any interest I give them my card and ask them to call me anytime. I do that because I do not want to get them into trouble with their boss for not waiting on other tables and talking to me instead.

Gas station are different. We pay for gas with a debit card so we never see anyone at the station.

My wife is just the opposite and she is always kicking me under the table and telling me to leave the waiter alone. That is one of the reasons I had to have both knees replace. ;)

Sometimes showing you are Christian is in small, hidden things. Volunteering in support of the challenged members of your community, even if done behind the scenes is always noticed by someone. If the observer knows you who you serve, it is a great testimony. Even if not observed, a service performed in secret may be the Lords way of answering prayer for someone you never meet.

Sometimes it is just listening.

Sometimes it is seeing a need or other opening in your discussion and providing gentle observation.

Sometimes it is being more forceful, challenging someone to evaluate their beliefs and their standing before the Lord.

It is not only the unsaved to whom we need to be sensitive. Sometimes a saved brother needs a quiet brother to talk with.

Being sensitive to the Spirit in seeing the opportunities, and then following the Spirit in ministering to their needs is something that can be developed by prayerful practice. Just as I have 'favorite' tools that I use often around the house, I strive to be a more reliable, if not favorite, tool of my Lord.

Why not just have a fish bumper sticker on your car. You can have one that says I am a christian and you should be one too. Follow me to church.

Well the church van has contact details on the side so anybody can call the drivers.
Ive also worked for a catering company that calls themselves 'Loaves and Fishes'. They deliver, and they also cater for things like church and school camps.

I was washing dishes lol. I dont know if I told them I was a christian, but apparently God sent me there (they called me a godsend) because they were short of dishwashers and I happened to get into contact with them the day they really needed one.

I dont go to restauarants all that often but when praying before the meal always ask God to bless the hands that prepared it. This is for all the hardworking staff at the restaurant. I know how busy they can get.

Some people pray before a meal, I actually prefer after to give thanks, but ive learned to do both because other believers do it. One friend who does it all the time will just say 'do you want to say the prayer?'

I was out with a pastor one time at a cafe and he prayed over the coffee and hot chocolate.

Excellent point!!!

Speaking for me only, everyone who knows me knows I am a Christian. I am "loud", and "unashamed" of the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
We live in a relatively small town now for the past 40 years and wherever I go in town the people who see me call out......Hey Preacher!

Now, everyone who knows me does not necessarily mean that they love me. However, they all show respect for me because they know from past experiences that I always brag on Jesus and stand for what the Word of God teaches.

My wife and I were in Waynesville NC about 20 years ago walking down the main street looking at the shops. All of a sudden I heard someone yell out.....
"HEY PREACHER"! I knew it could not be me because we did not know anyone there. Then They did it again. We looked around and sure enough, one of the deacons from another church in Deland Fl. was at the stop light and he was the one calling out to me.

Even when I go to a different restaurant, I always ask the waiter/waitress if they go to church. That is always a good lead opening question. If they say NO, I immediately invite them to my church. If they say YES, I will bless them and encourage them to have a good day.

If they show any interest I give them my card and ask them to call me anytime. I do that because I do not want to get them into trouble with their boss for not waiting on other tables and talking to me instead.

Gas station are different. We pay for gas with a debit card so we never see anyone at the station.

My wife is just the opposite and she is always kicking me under the table and telling me to leave the waiter alone. That is one of the reasons I had to have both knees replace. ;)

Our church have these "invite card" that we have in our possession. They include the location of every church and service times. We hand them out, when someone is interested in attending.

cards.JPG

Why do people think waiters and gas station attendants arent christians? They would more likely be christians because they are serving people than the ones in management.

Jesus washed his disciples feet. Staff in restaurants wash your dishes, and gas stations attendants wash your car. What more can you ask for?

Back