Does Anybody Know That You Are a Christian?

Why do people think waiters and gas station attendants arent christians? They would more likely be christians because they are serving people than the ones in management.

Jesus washed his disciples feet. Staff in restaurants wash your dishes, and gas stations attendants wash your car. What more can you ask for?
Well, I'm not sure I follow your logic. I am pretty sure that it you ask waiters and gas station attendants, they will probably tell you that this is the job they were able to get.

rtm3039

Why do people think waiters and gas station attendants arent christians? They would more likely be christians because they are serving people than the ones in management.

Jesus washed his disciples feet. Staff in restaurants wash your dishes, and gas stations attendants wash your car. What more can you ask for?
OK, not sure I have seen a gas attendant wash anyone's car in like . . . ever. They do have car washes, but that is a business all on its own.

How about your neighbor or your fellow workers or if you go to the same gas station or restaurant, does the person see you are a Christian? What would they say?
About three weeks ago, our lead pastor retired and our campus pastor took over as the lead. He is probably 30 years younger and had introduced some interesting new ideas for spreading the Word.

First idea is to have our Online Pastor do a daily live prayer on FB and Tweeter. Not sure how successful it was, since the first only reached 86 people. He really is not the guy yo want doing this, as he is not a very good public speaker. If they got the retired lead pastor, Pastor Rick, that would be something. The second thing we are going is that during the month of October, all small groups (bible study groups) are meeting in public places and not at the church. It is quite an army, since we have over 400 small groups scattered around 7 campuses. We all have distinctive t-shirts and invite anyone that is interested in attending church, or sitting with us. (ps. I am in the below picture, but not giving myself up). This is a nice short term idea, cause it really is hard to do some serious study while at Fuddruckers.

CFMiami.JPGonline p.JPG

It might be harder to study the word, but the idea is to be seen as a Christian group, and that in itself is a great witnessing tool. Out in the community the world can see you and your brothers/sisters in Christ as a distinct people, of Christ. The holy spirit is able to work on your behalf reaching those whom are in need of salvation. Your young pastor is on fire for our Lord. That number of 86 will continue to grow, as will public speaking skills.

Be bright my brother, you are a blessing to those around you.

OK, not sure I have seen a gas attendant wash anyone's car in like . . . ever. They do have car washes, but that is a business all on its own.
The have those machines that wash your car, but they look after the machines dont they? So they do wash you car, cos if those machines break down then your car couldnt be washed right?

Well, I'm not sure I follow your logic. I am pretty sure that it you ask waiters and gas station attendants, they will probably tell you that this is the job they were able to get.

rtm3039
You must live in a cynical world, Ive had amazing waitresses and gas attendants who love their jobs.
If you waitress on a cruise ship you get to meet all kinds of people, and have the best food.
If you own a gas stations its actually a pretty cruisy job you dont really have to do that much but greet people and smile all the time.

I do rate customer experience and it all gets noticed (and rewarded) I wouldnt go to any business for a repeat visit if they were rude to me. And if you are rude it must be you must hate your job or be in the wrong one and should never serve anyone cos you just dont have a servant heart.

People will not go back to someone who treats them badly. I wouldnt.

The have those machines that wash your car, but they look after the machines dont they? So they do wash you car, cos if those machines break down then your car couldnt be washed right?
Lanolin,

Ok, but that is like saying that the guy who checks the tire pressure on the times of an air plane is like he is flying me to Boston. The person that looks after the car wash machines is a technician that probably does not even get his/her gas at the station where the machine is located.

You must live in a cynical world, Ive had amazing waitresses and gas attendants who love their jobs.
If you waitress on a cruise ship you get to meet all kinds of people, and have the best food.
If you own a gas stations its actually a pretty cruisy job you dont really have to do that much but greet people and smile all the time.

I do rate customer experience and it all gets noticed (and rewarded) I wouldnt go to any business for a repeat visit if they were rude to me. And if you are rude it must be you must hate your job or be in the wrong one and should never serve anyone cos you just dont have a servant heart.

People will not go back to someone who treats them badly. I wouldnt.
Lanolin, we both live in the same world, I think. But I do live in a different country. When you walk into a gas station here in Miami, the attendant is usually protected by a bullet proof glass window and speaks to you through a speaker. In some places, they even have metal drawers that slide out for your money and slide back in. As for restaurants, pretty much most of the people who work as servers are teenagers and college kids. Yes, they treat people well, but the discussion was about the position. I am pretty confident that no one has ever uttered the words "What I really want to do is be a waiter at that restaurant by the water." Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this job, I use to be one myself, but it is an unskilled low paying job that most people do because they have to do something.

rtm3039

Hmm, I'm not comfortable with assuming that persons in management are less likely to be Christians than those that they manage. Many of the more successful managers I have dealt with have consciously tried to make plans and decisions and direct those under them according to their faith. They have found a way being a servant on a personal basis to those that they lead from a organizational basis. In fact the success of their efforts can in part be traced to their treating their people with respect while building and suporting a team to accomplish the goals of their business.

Lanolin, we both live in the same world, I think. But I do live in a different country. When you walk into a gas station here in Miami, the attendant is usually protected by a bullet proof glass window and speaks to you through a speaker. In some places, they even have metal drawers that slide out for your money and slide back in. As for restaurants, pretty much most of the people who work as servers are teenagers and college kids. Yes, they treat people well, but the discussion was about the position. I am pretty confident that no one has ever uttered the words "What I really want to do is be a waiter at that restaurant by the water." Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this job, I use to be one myself, but it is an unskilled low paying job that most people do because they have to do something.

rtm3039
Yes, You live in a different country where they used to have slaves and treat people badly, without common courtesies. All in the name of efficiency.

Hmm, I'm not comfortable with assuming that persons in management are less likely to be Christians than those that they manage. Many of the more successful managers I have dealt with have consciously tried to make plans and decisions and direct those under them according to their faith. They have found a way being a servant on a personal basis to those that they lead from a organizational basis. In fact the success of their efforts can in part be traced to their treating their people with respect while building and suporting a team to accomplish the goals of their business.
You were blessed Ive had some shockers. The last job I had was the worst. And the company my company was contracting for, the manager actually embezzled money and he got fired.

I just been to a gas station to fill up my car. They all offer discounts and this one was special because the owner had plants in the shop even decorating the forecourt. I remember going to it for mystery shop once and I must have commented and they took on some of my suggestions...I go to all gas stations whichever is nearest usually but some offer better service than others. I dont go back to any that are rude.

They even had a blessings jar where you pick out a piece of paper and it has something nice to say about you on it.
Others have free coffee grounds to take for your garden.

You were blessed Ive had some shockers. The last job I had was the worst. And the company my company was contracting for, the manager actually embezzled money and he got fired.
It's the generalization that bothers me. All have sinned (Rom 3:23), but it does not do us, or the Lord, any benefit to pre-judge and caterogize others simply because of their circumstance.

One thing that I remember when I had evangelism training thru Campus Crusade for Christ (now I think it's nownamed Cru) is that as one goes to knock on someones door, to NOT walk past those in the yard or you meet. while on the sidewalk.

School yourself to look for and sieze the oportunities along your path through life. Do not make assumptions regarding their spiritual state.

There will be the unsaved, there will be those who have fallen away, and there will be saved brothers that will be heartened be encountering a fellow Christian.

Be ready and sensitive to minister to others according to their needs.

It's the generalization that bothers me. All have sinned (Rom 3:23), but it does not do us, or the Lord, any benefit to pre-judge and caterogize others simply because of their circumstance.
Well you were doing the same with managers saying they are more likely to be christians please take your own advice. Its just not true there are many managers out there that dont care and harm their workers. Plus they affect MORE people than a worker in a lowly position can because they have the power to make many lives miserable.

One thing that I remember when I had evangelism training thru Campus Crusade for Christ (now I think it's nownamed Cru) is that as one goes to knock on someones door, to NOT walk past those in the yard or you meet. while on the sidewalk.

School yourself to look for and sieze the oportunities along your path through life. Do not make assumptions regarding their spiritual state.

There will be the unsaved, there will be those who have fallen away, and there will be saved brothers that will be heartened be encountering a fellow Christian.

Be ready and sensitive to minister to others according to their needs.
Well thats rather old school because only JWs and mormons knock on people doors on a regular basis, as do corporate salespeople, avon ladies, greenpeaces hustlers and dodgy charity workers.

The new way to reach people is through online. Nobody is sitting at home needing a stranger to come knock and sell them religion. Another thing is if you dont get bitten by dogs first, you would be lucky to make it to the front door, and in richer areas, its automatically gated so you cant even get in.

Door to door is still done by many mainstream christians here. But door to door was (is) a training method (although the Lord has used it to spread His story). The point of my post is that the things of Christ should be gently and humbly a part of all our dealings with others, and that we should be proclaiming Him at every opportunity, and not pre-judge who is more deserving, or who has more need, or who will be more receptive, or even what their specific need may be, only to be receptive to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Door to door is still done by many mainstream christians here. But door to door was (is) a training method (although the Lord has used it to spread His story). The point of my post is that the things of Christ should be gently and humbly a part of all our dealings with others, and that we should be proclaiming Him at every opportunity, and not pre-judge who is more deserving, or who has more need, or who will be more receptive, or even what their specific need may be, only to be receptive to the leading of the Holy Spirit.
Well,that was my point to yet some people seems to think that waiters and gas station attendants arent even christians.

Back