Does Anybody Know That You Are a Christian?

Well, I'm not sure I follow your logic. I am pretty sure that it you ask waiters and gas station attendants, they will probably tell you that this is the job they were able to get.

rtm3039
RTM have you actually worked in a customer service role, like ever?

RTM have you actually worked in a customer service role, like ever?
Yes. When I was in high school, I worked as a waiter for a while. Can't say I enjoyed that much. Well, yes I can say it; hated every minute of it. I was fortunate enough to go to college, become an Army officer, and later a federal agent. Come to think of it, that's kind of like customer service without having to memorize "today's menu."

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I do not appreciate what they do. Never been mean to any of them, not even when service was not all that great. A job is a job and, as long as you do it well, there is no shame. My position is just that no one grows up looking forward to an exiting career waiting on tables. It's a job, not a career.

So, if we go back to the start of this academic trip, still not sure I understand why you thing that anyone would think that waiters and gas attendance are not thought of as Christians. Don't see how we connect these dots. Both are honorable jobs.

Um you would be quite wrong there and generalising way too much, just because you hated waiting doenst mean other people hate it too.

Hospitality is a big industry and waiters are part of it.
As for gas attendants its all in your attitude, as with any job.

Every single job I have worked in was what I could get anyway and whatever I did, I did it for the Lord. Thats the difference, When you work for the Lord, not the money, I suspect when you worked as waiter, you just did it for the money? Thats ok just wondering. Your heart wasnt in it. Also it could have been before your were a christian.

Um you would be quite wrong there and generalising way too much, just because you hated waiting doenst mean other people hate it too.

Hospitality is a big industry and waiters are part of it.
As for gas attendants its all in your attitude, as with any job.

Every single job I have worked in was what I could get anyway and whatever I did, I did it for the Lord. Thats the difference, When you work for the Lord, not the money, I suspect when you worked as waiter, you just did it for the money? Thats ok just wondering. Your heart wasnt in it. Also it could have been before your were a christian.
When I worked as a waiter, I was a kid and still in school. The same goes when I worked for 7-11 (a convenience store) and a security guard at a high rise condo. The following 40 years have been spent as either a soldier or a policeman; neither of which are well known for the money. Granted, most of that was prior to my re-birth, but I have spent all of my adult like standing in between good and evil and that's pretty Christian in and of itself.

"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms" (1 Peter 4:10 (NIV). It was not as a waiter, at least for me.

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends" John 15:13 (NIV). Have been prepared to do that for over 40 years.

rtm3039

Hmm, I'm not comfortable with assuming that persons in management are less likely to be Christians than those that they manage. Many of the more successful managers I have dealt with have consciously tried to make plans and decisions and direct those under them according to their faith. They have found a way being a servant on a personal basis to those that they lead from a organizational basis. In fact the success of their efforts can in part be traced to their treating their people with respect while building and suporting a team to accomplish the goals of their business.

Correct!

J.C. Penny was a wonderful committed Christian man who did great things for his employees. I for example receice a pension check every month from a program that he set up 50 years ago. for his managers.

Nelson Rockefeller gave 1 Million dollars to start the Southern Baptist Co-operative program which has ministered to millions of people for over 50 years now.

Yes, You live in a different country where they used to have slaves and treat people badly, without common courtesies. All in the name of efficiency.

When you visited the USA, where did you go to get these kind of thoughts?????

In fact, You are correct. Another time we did have slaves. If my memory is correct, I think that Israel, and Iraq and Italy and in fact ALL countries did exactly that as it was the fruits of winning a war.

In fact, New Zealand also had SLAVES in Colonial times jus as did the USA.
http://www.theprow.org.nz/maori/slavery-in-colonial-times/#.XapCNXdFzcs

Well,that was my point to yet some people seems to think that waiters and gas station attendants arent even christians.

Which people???

I have personally never heard of such a thought.

What does someones job have to do with their faith????

I seem to be missing something here.

Yes, and despite all of that, we lead the free world. Go figure.

AMEN.

When there is a disaster anywhere in the world...…..who is the 1st country on the scene????

When Australia, New Zeeland and New Guiney were in danger of being attacked by Japan, if my memory is correct I think that the USA stationed about 50, 000 men in New Zeeland.

Well the god of this world is actually satan. So its not anything to boast about actually.

If it was not for the USA today, right now...…...what do you think the world would look like?????

I am pretty sure that you would not have the freedoms you enjoy today. My thought is that your neighbor, China would have taken over every country in the Far East and you would be speaking Mandarin.

No actually it was Japan and Germany that wanted world domination,you are wrong there, have a look in history books.
China was isolationist for a long time and didnt want to trade with anybody. They were the middle kingdom and had everything they needed so they didnt see the point in expanding and going to war.

You have weird ideas about China major where do you get these gross generalisations. Do you know anybody Chinese? Do you know about the history of China and what what nation went through with Japan, the nationalists and the communists? The dynsasties? Genghis Khan? The emperors? The cultural revolution? Chairman mao?

If not, please read a bit more about it.

AMEN.

When there is a disaster anywhere in the world...…..who is the 1st country on the scene????

When Australia, New Zeeland and New Guiney were in danger of being attacked by Japan, if my memory is correct I think that the USA stationed about 50, 000 men in New Zeeland.
They werent really welcome, they took japanaese pows and they also took women for a ride here. The kiwi soldiers resented them sad to say. They also introduced some weird culture into the country. We werent in Any danger of being attacked by Japan although they came close the threat wasnt actually there. We have good relations with the Japanese now.

In fact, my first Bible was given to me by a Japanese exchnage student who became a christian.

Have you been to Japan major...? Have you visited Hiroshima or Nagasaki to see what devastation the US caused. People still dying of cancer there due to the bomb.

When I worked in the town hall I used to have this job archiving the civic gifts. We had sister city relationships and they would all send gifts to the mayor. I remmeber lots of gifts from cities in Japan and China and Korea but hardly any from any cities in the US.

As for speaking Mandarin, its a language that is spoken by millions or shall we say billions of Chinese. I dont speak that dialect. But, you would not lose your freedom if you had to learn to speak it.

The maorit were in danger of losing their own language as they were kinda forced to speak english and adopt english ways, but thats because the english didint really want to learn Te Reo Maori. We stil, have opposition to,learning another langauage that is unique. Now this generation are learning it all over again which is a GOOD thing. So even the pakeha (english) are learning it, even if its a few words and respecting hte language. Cos thats all it is, another language. You arent losing your freedom if you are speaking another language, you are simply gaining another way to communicate.

Cutlural exchange is meant to go BOTH ways.

Have you been to Japan major...? Have you visited Hiroshima or Nagasaki to see what devastation the US caused. People still dying of cancer there due to the bomb.
Lanolin, have you visited Pear Harbor? There would not have been a Nagasaki, had Japan surrendered after Hiroshima. There would have been no Hiroshima, had they surrendered with Germany. While I agree that this was an ugly moment in human history, it saved more lives than it took.

We lost 111,606 in the Pacific war, had another 253,142 injured, and 40% of Americans captured by Japan (27,000) died in captivity.

If memory serves me, New Zealand was a member of the allied forces that engaged both Germany and Japan. Your country declared war against Germany, along with Great Brittan, and lost 11,900 countrymen.

We (US) entered WW2 on December 8, 1941 (with the first declaration being in September 1, 1939 (Great Britton and France)). By the time we entered the war (provoked by Japan's attack on Pear Harbor - let me say that again: Their attack on a nation that was not at war and 4,143 miles away), 38 other countries had already entered the war. At the end, we (US) lost more people than 42 of the 57 countries that were in the allied forces. As unpalatable as it might be, history shows that, had the US not entered the war, the results would not have been the same.

History shows that, between 1937 and 1945, Japan killed over 10 million people, to include prisoners of war and civilians. Yes, it is regrettable that so many non-combatants suffered from these two horrific bombings, but the blame falls on their leadership and no one else.

Look, it would be foolish of me to sit here and claim that the America of 2019 is the same America of 1941. Neither of us were around back then and I must admit that we have lost a great deal of our former moral character. However, that America was a beacon of hope to the entire free world and Mayor is correct. Had we not gotten in the game, the world as you now know it would not be the same. I will not post images of what Japan did to innocent people (not what we do here at CF), but it appears to me that you and standing behind the wrong group, when the totality of the circumstances are taken in their proper context.

Last edited:
I think we are straying afar from the original question.

We should make sure by self assessment that we are showing the Lord's love for all and that those that observe us know who we serve and why.

Yes and that includes loving our enemies.
Now I realise that seems like a hard thing for peoole to do because they find it hard to forgive for things that happened years ago. But we all need to move on.

I dont really care how bad things were when I was 17 and was in the pit of misery, Jesus saved me so I dont need to go back and revisit it. And I dont need what bad things happened to me affect how I think of everyone else.

I went to a gas station yesterday and the attendents were kind. They had gourmet pies and offered to make me an iced chocolate and gave me discount. All they need is a smile and thank you. They also gave me free coffee grounds for my garden. I sat at a small table had my lunch and read a magazine. Cos i was just studying across the road and it was the nearest place I could have a quick lunch.

That gas station and their staff is a blessing to me.

I think we are straying afar from the original question.

We should make sure by self assessment that we are showing the Lord's love for all and that those that observe us know who we serve and why.
Yes, I agree and my apologies. I will say; however, that my obvious disagreement with my sister in no way diminishes my love for her. Scripture illustrates any occasions where there is strong disagreement, yet no hate or malice.

Lanolin, I offer my apologies. While I pretty much disagree with everything you have said, you are my sister in Christ and that has not changed. Let's just file this in the we agree to disagree and move on.

rtm3039

OP does anyone know you are a christian, is because your love shines out of your eyes. The way you act, the way you treat people show Christ.

When you talk about God you do it with quiet conviction. The children know I am one at school cos I provide Bibles for them and have talked about the Bible to them. They know its the oldest book in the library and a very important book.

I have a scriptures up in my office, its from Hebrews. The word is living and active, sharper than any two edged sword...

Back