Does Anybody Know That You Are a Christian?

Yes, I agree and my apologies. I will say; however, that my obvious disagreement with my sister in no way diminishes my love for her. Scripture illustrates any occasions where there is strong disagreement, yet no hate or malice.

Lanolin, I offer my apologies. While I pretty much disagree with everything you have said, you are my sister in Christ and that has not changed. Let's just file this in the we agree to disagree and move on.

rtm3039
I forgive you, sorry that we cant always agree on things. Thats why we all need Jesus.

Have you been to Japan major...? Have you visited Hiroshima or Nagasaki to see what devastation the US caused. People still dying of cancer there due to the bomb.

I do not need to go there.

My dear sister...…...have you been to Okinawa????? Have you seen the hundreds of thousands of Japanese who died instead of surrendering?

All historians have said that it would cost America a million men to conquer Japan because they would never surrender. Do you think that it would have been acceptable for a million Americans to die in order to take Japan????

They were begged to surrender. They were begged to surrender after the 1st bomb. They waited 3 days after the 2nd bomb.

It was something that had to be done to save the lives of a million American men. That is a fact and it is the consequences of an ill advised attack on the USA.

Lanolin, have you visited Pear Harbor? There would not have been a Nagasaki, had Japan surrendered after Hiroshima. There would have been no Hiroshima, had they surrendered with Germany. While I agree that this was an ugly moment in human history, it saved more lives than it took.

We lost 111,606 in the Pacific war, had another 253,142 injured, and 40% of Americans captured by Japan (27,000) died in captivity.

If memory serves me, New Zealand was a member of the allied forces that engaged both Germany and Japan. Your country declared war against Germany, along with Great Brittan, and lost 11,900 countrymen.

We (US) entered WW2 on December 8, 1941 (with the first declaration being in September 1, 1939 (Great Britton and France)). By the time we entered the war (provoked by Japan's attack on Pear Harbor - let me say that again: Their attack on a nation that was not at war and 4,143 miles away), 38 other countries had already entered the war. At the end, we (US) lost more people than 42 of the 57 countries that were in the allied forces. As unpalatable as it might be, history shows that, had the US not entered the war, the results would not have been the same.

History shows that, between 1937 and 1945, Japan killed over 10 million people, to include prisoners of war and civilians. Yes, it is regrettable that so many non-combatants suffered from these two horrific bombings, but the blame falls on their leadership and no one else.

Look, it would be foolish of me to sit here and claim that the America of 2019 is the same America of 1941. Neither of us were around back then and I must admit that we have lost a great deal of our former moral character. However, that America was a beacon of hope to the entire free world and Mayor is correct. Had we not gotten in the game, the world as you now know it would not be the same. I will not post images of what Japan did to innocent people (not what we do here at CF), but it appears to me that you and standing behind the wrong group, when the totality of the circumstances are taken in their proper context.

I agree with your comment.

I know that this is way off the focus of the thread and I apologize as I was only responding to posted comments made. It is also a historical fact that the Russians were bad to the Germans, and the Germans treated the Russians as sub-human but no one was as bad as the Japanese. The level of brutality exhibited by the Japanese defies belief.

Yes, I agree and my apologies. I will say; however, that my obvious disagreement with my sister in no way diminishes my love for her. Scripture illustrates any occasions where there is strong disagreement, yet no hate or malice.

Lanolin, I offer my apologies. While I pretty much disagree with everything you have said, you are my sister in Christ and that has not changed. Let's just file this in the we agree to disagree and move on.

rtm3039

I really do not think that an apology is in order. You responded with factual comments about an opinion that was more opinion than anything else.

I appreciate your Christian attitude to be careing!

You have weird ideas about China major where do you get these gross generalizations. Do you know anybody Chinese? Do you know about the history of China and what what nation went through with Japan, the nationalists and the communists? The dynsasties? Genghis Khan? The emperors? The cultural revolution? Chairman mao?

If not, please read a bit more about it.

Do I know any Chinese?...….YES!.
My church supports a Christian element there which I can not identify as they would all be killed if the state knew where they were.

Go to the net and search Pastor “Joseph” Gu and what has happened to him and his church.

Do I know the history of China and what they went through with Japan?...…...YES!
What happen to them by the Japanese was and is unbelievable.

My comment still stands. China is a Communist country and you my dear sister would have NO rights there.
The Christian church is underground and is in sever danger.

That is NOT a generalization but a well know fact.

No actually it was Japan and Germany that wanted world domination,you are wrong there, have a look in history books.
China was isolationist for a long time and didnt want to trade with anybody. They were the middle kingdom and had everything they needed so they didnt see the point in expanding and going to war.

You are correct if all that you said was applied to yesterday.....1944.

Anyone who knows history knows that Japan and Germany were in search of two different things.
Nazi Germany's desire for aggressive territorial expansionism was one of the most important causes of World War II. Hitler was an Anti'christ with megalomaniac problems. Historians are still divided as to its ultimate goals, but most believ that it was to be limited to Nazi German domination of Europe.

ON the other hand.......Japan had NO sources of local raw materials to fuel their economy. The Japanese began a policy of expansion in Asia. They wanted to take over areas that would provide needed raw materials for the economy of Japan. The United States was concerned with Japanese expansion in the Pacific. It threatened the security of the United States. Japan saw the outbreak of war as an opportunity to continue their expansion and eventually control all of eastern Asia so that they would not have to look for and struggle for materials.

BUT.........Today is not 1940. Today, China is a communist country. What ever they were, they certainly are not that today.

I really do not think that an apology is in order. You responded with factual comments about an opinion that was more opinion than anything else.

I appreciate your Christian attitude to be careing!
Thank you, my brother. The only things wrong with my comments is that I made them on this forum. Otherwise, I firmly stand behind them.

Speaking of the Japanese, a couple of years ago I had a case that required me to interview several of them. When we met, I so struggled to understand their very broken English. I was interviewing the owner of a local Japanese restaurant. As I was struggling to understand, one of the waitresses walked up to the owner and asked her a question in Spanish. As it turned out, the whole family actually came from the Philippines and spoke Spanish (my native language) fluently. Go figure.

rtm3039

I think all christians need to be open about their faith, ready to say why they believe when asked, and not be ashamed about the gospel, even if some people dont like to hear. But when we cant speak about Jesus, or theres no opportunity, or people wont listen to us, by our actions we can show how we live out our faith.

I think sometimes it wont be instantly obvious because its not like you can dress up and wear christian clothes like you have bindi if you are hindu, or a turban if you are sikh, a kippa if you are jewish, or a hijab if you are muslim. Having a christian tattoo or wearing a cross necklace or a white wedding dress these days doesnt necesarily mean anything either. But I think people will notice something different about you, maybe your clothes are always fresh and clean and there will be a modesty about you and you have a fragrance about you thats not from a can!

How many of us can look across a room full of random people, and pick out the christians amongst them? Will we stand out from the crowd? Unless we say to everyone put your hands up if you believe in Jesus, how will anyone know...?

I think all christians need to be open about their faith, ready to say why they believe when asked, and not be ashamed about the gospel, even if some people dont like to hear. But when we cant speak about Jesus, or theres no opportunity, or people wont listen to us, by our actions we can show how we live out our faith.

I think sometimes it wont be instantly obvious because its not like you can dress up and wear christian clothes like you have bindi if you are hindu, or a turban if you are sikh, a kippa if you are jewish, or a hijab if you are muslim. Having a christian tattoo or wearing a cross necklace or a white wedding dress these days doesnt necesarily mean anything either. But I think people will notice something different about you, maybe your clothes are always fresh and clean and there will be a modesty about you and you have a fragrance about you thats not from a can!

How many of us can look across a room full of random people, and pick out the christians amongst them? Will we stand out from the crowd? Unless we say to everyone put your hands up if you believe in Jesus, how will anyone know...?
Unlike some other religious, Christians don't usually come with obvious signs like clothing or other artifacts. In my church, they like to hand out these light blue wrist bands that say "Christ Fellowship" on them. I occasionally come across people wearing them and know that they belong to my church. Also, sometimes people make comments that let you know who they are. The most common I come across is something like "have a blessed day."

I believe wearing a cross is a sign , but many that do might not actually be saved. I meet people that claim to be, yet when you ask them they have no idea why. Then there are others whom say they believe in Christ but don't know they are going to heaven. There seems to be no black and white definition of defining external attributes, other than openly praying to our Father in the name of his Son Jesus Christ.

Thank you, my brother. The only things wrong with my comments is that I made them on this forum. Otherwise, I firmly stand behind them.

Speaking of the Japanese, a couple of years ago I had a case that required me to interview several of them. When we met, I so struggled to understand their very broken English. I was interviewing the owner of a local Japanese restaurant. As I was struggling to understand, one of the waitresses walked up to the owner and asked her a question in Spanish. As it turned out, the whole family actually came from the Philippines and spoke Spanish (my native language) fluently. Go figure.

rtm3039

I hope that no one misinterprets my comments. I have nothing, absolutely NOTHING against the Japanese people. My sons mother in law is from Japan and she is as lovely a person and as caring as anyone I have ever known.

My comments were focused on what a country did 75 years ago which led to the USA using a nuclear bomb on that country because they would never have surrendered and it would have cost the USA a million more dead men to end the war.

Real history tells us that they attacked the USA secretly, and as a country did some of the most despicable atrocities ever committed upon another peoples including those in China, Philippines and our own troops in ww2.

NO ONE can do that my dear sister. Even raising your hands does not make you a Christian. We are saved from the INSIDE out by being born again, NOT by what we do or say or how we act.

Historically there are quite a few "bad men" to choose from whom have committed atrocities against humanity. There are also Christian men whom have done the same. During the crusade in 1099 for example, Christian soldiers killed the innocent peoples of Jerusalem.

No one is blameless, nor can anyone "cast the first stone". War is ugly, dark business full of greed and revenge.

I believe wearing a cross is a sign , but many that do might not actually be saved. I meet people that claim to be, yet when you ask them they have no idea why. Then there are others whom say they believe in Christ but don't know they are going to heaven. There seems to be no black and white definition of defining external attributes, other than openly praying to our Father in the name of his Son Jesus Christ.

Correct.

Matthew 7:22-23 .........
"Many will say to me on that day, 'LORD, LORD, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

We are not saved by what we do or by what we say or what we wear. We are only saved by the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.

NO ONE can do that my dear sister. Even raising your hands does not make you a Christian. We are saved from the INSIDE out by being born again, NOT by what we do or say or how we act.
Yes, but the book of James, for example, does explain that although works are not the mechanism of salvation, they can and should be the indication of a saved person.
So in that aspect what we do and say are integral to living for Christ.

James 2:14-17
What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.

Yes, but the book of James, for example, does explain that although works are not the mechanism of salvation, they can and should be the indication of a saved person.

What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.
Yep faith without works is dead. You see someone, who needs help, and you dont help them... well that speaks volumes. Who wants to go round proclaiming they are religious and then they just totally ignore the poor people around them?

The book of Acts is all about ACTION. If the disciples never DID anything, like heal the sick and set people free, if all they did was just talk about it, they could hardly be called christians. Theologians maybe, but not christians. Pharisees just prayed loudly enough so other people could hear and think they were special.

Correct.

Matthew 7:22-23 .........
"Many will say to me on that day, 'LORD, LORD, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

We are not saved by what we do or by what we say or what we wear. We are only saved by the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.
I agree, but also think that you can sometimes tell by this "special something" that some people have. Today is a good example. This afternoon I met the most amazing young woman I have met in a while. I needed to meet with a principal on one of my investigations; however, the principle was not there and I ended up talking to the Assistant principal.

Ok, I admit, at first, all I saw was a young woman that, on a scale of 1 to 10, was close to a 15. We started talking about her troubled teacher and she just appears to be so genuine about her desire to do the best she can to make a bad situation as good as possible. Despite the fact that this teacher stepped way over the line, she wanted to do her part to make this as straight forward as possible, get not destroy a 30 year career. I really felt she cared a great deal.

A bit later, after I learned that she was actually 35 (yes, she is single, but I have no single son to offer her), I asked her how she got to the position of AP so fast. Her response was "I am a person that believes God puts us where He wants us and I am blessed and honored that He put me here."

I called that one right, even before she said anything. Like I said, sometimes you can just tell. But, most of the time you just cant.

Rtm3039

Historically there are quite a few "bad men" to choose from whom have committed atrocities against humanity. There are also Christian men whom have done the same. During the crusade in 1099 for example, Christian soldiers killed the innocent peoples of Jerusalem.

No one is blameless, nor can anyone "cast the first stone". War is ugly, dark business full of greed and revenge.
Here is my take on this, which is obviously based on my own experiences. When I was a young soldier, I attended by first prayer breakfast. I did find it odd that our chaplain would lead us into prayer asking God to allow us victory in war. As a young man, I really found that confusing. Asking God to take sides just appeared a bit odd. What I eventually learned is that soldiers to not hate other soldiers. We are asked to go into combat and win. This can be by killing our enemies or by incapacitating them until they are combat ineffective. To this end, we die if we must, kill if we have to, and show mercy if we can.

I my 39 years or military and law enforcement career, many a man has faced the business end of my weapon, but I was fortunate enough to neither die nor kill. Granted, where were many times I would have been justified in killing, but I was fortunate enough to be in a position to show mercy. One thing is for sure, I do not recall ever hating anyone. I can't claim that it was because of my Christianity, as this is a recent event in my journey from whom to grave, but it a fact none-the-less.

I hate no one. I was not around for WW2, but I am pretty sure I would hot have hated them either. I would have killed as many of "them" as I could, but equally as sure that I would not have hated any of them. I honestly believe you can fight a man, yet not hate him.

I've never contemplated the Biblical interpretation of WW2, but I know that there were good guys and there were bad goes. In this case, I am comfortable in claiming that we were the good buys. War is a barbaric act again brothers, and the aftermath political failure.

What I find equally as sad is that we have been at war for over 19 years (October 7, 2001) and many people do not even realize this. On the night we did our shock and awe there were babies who have now enlisted to continue fighting the same conflict.

Personally, I cannot think of a more honorable soul than that living within a soldier; regardless of which side of the battle line he or her is standing on.

That is true. We should want to do things out of a heart of love because of what Christ did for us. Works then is a by product of salvation not a cause of it.

Back