Does Anybody Know That You Are a Christian?

Here is my take on this, which is obviously based on my own experiences. When I was a young soldier, I attended by first prayer breakfast. I did find it odd that our chaplain would lead us into prayer asking God to allow us victory in war. As a young man, I really found that confusing. Asking God to take sides just appeared a bit odd. What I eventually learned is that soldiers to not hate other soldiers. We are asked to go into combat and win. This can be by killing our enemies or by incapacitating them until they are combat ineffective. To this end, we die if we must, kill if we have to, and show mercy if we can.

I my 39 years or military and law enforcement career, many a man has faced the business end of my weapon, but I was fortunate enough to neither die nor kill. Granted, where were many times I would have been justified in killing, but I was fortunate enough to be in a position to show mercy. One thing is for sure, I do not recall ever hating anyone. I can't claim that it was because of my Christianity, as this is a recent event in my journey from whom to grave, but it a fact none-the-less.

I hate no one. I was not around for WW2, but I am pretty sure I would hot have hated them either. I would have killed as many of "them" as I could, but equally as sure that I would not have hated any of them. I honestly believe you can fight a man, yet not hate him.

I've never contemplated the Biblical interpretation of WW2, but I know that there were good guys and there were bad goes. In this case, I am comfortable in claiming that we were the good buys. War is a barbaric act again brothers, and the aftermath political failure.

What I find equally as sad is that we have been at war for over 19 years (October 7, 2001) and many people do not even realize this. On the night we did our shock and awe there were babies who have now enlisted to continue fighting the same conflict.

Personally, I cannot think of a more honorable soul than that living within a soldier; regardless of which side of the battle line he or her is standing on.

My experience in this is that when you are at war, in a battle, no one fights for their country. We are actually fighting for our buddy who is next to us.

Then, there does come a time when our anger at what we have seen takes over our emotions and we do in fact become angry at those who are trying to kill us.

But that is just me.

My experience in this is that when you are at war, in a battle, no one fights for their country. We are actually fighting for our buddy who is next to us.

Then, there does come a time when our anger at what we have seen takes over our emotions and we do in fact become angry at those who are trying to kill us.

But that is just me.
I get it. You are a Vietnam vet and that is a conflict where you guys were treater unfairly by both sides. By the time I go in the game, people treated us differently.

rtm3039

That is true. We should want to do things out of a heart of love because of what Christ did for us. Works then is a by product of salvation not a cause of it.

While not properly being works of The Spirit, at least not in 1st person sense, the manner that the unsaved, particularly the young in age are brought to obey Christs teaching also prepare the heart for later inhabitation by Christ.

Thus parents are given Proverbs 22:6

Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Still not being saved by works, even those of the parents, but this is a way in which works may prepare for the salvation by Grace and Faith.

I dont have christian parents, so for a long time I didnt really know God. Never went to church, only for weddings. I knew about Him, but didnt know Him personally. But even so He still was a presence in my life when I was a sinner.

For me my life in Christ began after I was baptised in the holy spirit, then I noticed a real change. And I remember telling everyone I knew I was a christian even if they didnt think it was cool. Half of them, didnt believe me of course and thought Jesus wasnt real, but they wouldnt be hostile, they just thought oh shes got religion.

I didnt go to church for a long time...but then God pressed on my heart to fellowship somehwere cos I needed to be around christians. And of course where is the place you find christians...at church, worshipping together. So, off I went.

I could only go to church regularly when I quit working on Sundays. I think that was a big thing. I pretty much gave up my job so I could have time. I was blessed to have some people come and do the alpha course in my workplace, thats when I started getting into reading the Bible. Of course, at the time, the lure of free breakfast made it worthwhile. Was it free breakfast or lunch? I cant remember. I just remember baked beans and scrambled eggs. A HOT breakfast, not just a bowl of cold cereal!

I didnt go to every session but it was just enough to make whet my appetite to learn all about God. I think that year I just borrowed all the 220 books on christianity to find out everything I could. Anyway as I kept walking I joined up with some work fellowships at lunchtime and they would show videos about Israel and have prayer. I really enjoyed that.

Then I had this idea we could habe Bible reading in the library for the public, but my boss at the time was like no you cant. Read it at church. So I did it at the library on my days off. I think they were afraid it would offend people.

Had in the class in the library yesterday and said they could make suggestions of what books we could order for next year, I said, maybe you think we should have more books on ...I dont know, minecraft, or rugby, or cookbooks...or God? Maybe you want to find out more about God?

One boy came up to me and asked where are the books about God? I showed him a section labeled Stories from the Bible.

How about your neighbor or your fellow workers or if you go to the same gas station or restaurant, does the person see you are a Christian? What would they say?
Everyone knows that i am a christian, it is a bad thing. People think that because i am a christian they can do what they want, and take the mickey. As in ask for things and expect me to give it. I do but i am wise in my giving. Persecution can happen if i am a christian and because of my good behaviour. Instead of being admired for being a good citizen, people take the mickey. Over work me at work, etc.

Does anyone know that we are Christians?

To answer a question like that we have to understand first what it means to be Christian. God in us will produce a change within us as we become new. The world judges us as Christians not just by our words, but also our actions.

Professing Christ one moment and then acting in a way unlike Christ another moment leads to confusion. They may ask "Is this what it means to be Christian?" God gives us opportunities to learn and exercise faith and love. We certainly want to worship God in spirit and in truth. Sometimes we fall flat because we are human. God though lifts us up again.

Even if the world sees confusing actions, if they see the change within us as we draw close to God, then in time if God is leading them they will see what it truly means to be Christian. Sometimes God opens their eyes to see in spite of our actions.

cp

Does anyone know that we are Christians?

To answer a question like that we have to understand first what it means to be Christian. God in us will produce a change within us as we become new. The world judges us as Christians not just by our words, but also our actions.

Professing Christ one moment and then acting in a way unlike Christ another moment leads to confusion. They may ask "Is this what it means to be Christian?" God gives us opportunities to learn and exercise faith and love. We certainly want to worship God in spirit and in truth. Sometimes we fall flat because we are human. God though lifts us up again.

Even if the world sees confusing actions, if they see the change within us as we draw close to God, then in time if God is leading them they will see what it truly means to be Christian. Sometimes God opens their eyes to see in spite of our actions.

cp
This is question that I always struggle with. In law enforcement, I have to be very careful to not allow my faith to become an issue. Personally, I struggle with this, as I some times have to fight fire with fire. I like to say that as a Christian, I am a work in progress. I try to answer the call in a more subtle way, which does surprise some people:

my wall.JPG

Rtm

This is question that I always struggle with. In law enforcement, I have to be very careful to not allow my faith to become an issue. Personally, I struggle with this, as I some times have to fight fire with fire. I like to say that as a Christian, I am a work in progress. I try to answer the call in a more subtle way, which does surprise some people:

Rtm

Fortunately we are all a work in progress. I do trust though that God is making progress on the work that he has started.

cp

Let your light shine.
I think people generally know you are christian by your actions rather than your words. By their fruits we will know them sort of thing.

Though if you are swearing a blue streak maybe not lol. It's probably more the way you say things. A lot of people know the religious stereotype of the preacher/minister who is a complete hypocrite.

Fortunately we are all a work in progress. I do trust though that God is making progress on the work that he has started.

cp
My question would be does a Christian have a certain appearance or are we all just a variety of errors that look good together? LOL Jesus referred to James and John as the Sons of Thunder (Mark 3:17) because of their quick temper, Noah was an alcoholic, David an adulterer, Moses a murderer, etc., etc. My point here is that if you are judging my Christ-likeness based on how passive and gentle I am then I will never be a Christian. If I am judged for how much I want to serve Jesus as a forgiven sinner...assess away. Most of our value, individually, is the treasure of our heart and we can't always see that at first glance. I can list the people I have met here so far that I have NO DOUBT in my mind they are Christians but I also know that some here, in a fight, I would like to have by my side. Like I like to say, loving and liberal are not synonymous. What do y'all think?

My question would be does a Christian have a certain appearance or are we all just a variety of errors that look good together? LOL Jesus referred to James and John as the Sons of Thunder (Mark 3:17) because of their quick temper, Noah was an alcoholic, David an adulterer, Moses a murderer, etc., etc. My point here is that if you are judging my Christ-likeness based on how passive and gentle I am then I will never be a Christian. If I am judged for how much I want to serve Jesus as a forgiven sinner...assess away. Most of our value, individually, is the treasure of our heart and we can't always see that at first glance. I can list the people I have met here so far that I have NO DOUBT in my mind they are Christians but I also know that some here, in a fight, I would like to have by my side. Like I like to say, loving and liberal are not synonymous. What do y'all think?

A Christian will not appear any different. Christian though will act differently though than what we see in the world. We are a work in progress though as such God is leading us on the path to acting in love and faith.

cp

A Christian will not appear any different. Christian though will act differently though than what we see in the world. We are a work in progress though as such God is leading us on the path to acting in love and faith.

cp
My greatest fault, I think, is that I just don't know how to show what I feel and even my love comes out wrong.

My greatest fault, I think, is that I just don't know how to show what I feel and even my love comes out wrong.

Many Christian acts go unnoticed because we are told to do them in secret. An act of faith and love might be seen, but usually are not. I think though over time a Christian is noticed, not because they intend to be seen, but because they meet others or others hear of them. We are told that Paul hear of the faith of the Ephesians and Colossians (Eph 1:15, Col 1:4).

Sometimes our words reveal our minds and hearts. Sadly not always for good. When words seem to match deeds then people are more likely to see and take notice. Again though it is a process and we might not even see the changes within ourselves.

cp

Many Christian acts go unnoticed because we are told to do them in secret. An act of faith and love might be seen, but usually are not. I think though over time a Christian is noticed, not because they intend to be seen, but because they meet others or others hear of them. We are told that Paul hear of the faith of the Ephesians and Colossians (Eph 1:15, Col 1:4).

Sometimes our words reveal our minds and hearts. Sadly not always for good. When words seem to match deeds then people are more likely to see and take notice. Again though it is a process and we might not even see the changes within ourselves.

cp
Being part of this forum has been a blessing for me and is bringing character flaws of mine to the surface. I speak more openly and honestly via text and conveying myself in text form has shown me that I am not as far advanced in pride recovery as I may have believed. I love being here and do not want to jeopardize my fellowship with you all so I am trying to cool it. I am praying and seeking God in becoming a display of Christ.

Being part of this forum has been a blessing for me and is bringing character flaws of mine to the surface. I speak more openly and honestly via text and conveying myself in text form has shown me that I am not as far advanced in pride recovery as I may have believed. I love being here and do not want to jeopardize my fellowship with you all so I am trying to cool it. I am praying and seeking God in becoming a display of Christ.

God has a way of humbling all of us.

When ever I find myself feeling proud, I think of this scripture.
Prov 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.

cp

Back